Focus Shift

Financial Frustrations In Creative Career

29 posts in this topic

@Superfluo I don't feel socially awkward at all so when I have the opportunities I don't feel awkward at all. It's really just the consistency and balancing short term and long term goals. If you struggle with the social side of business, I would recommend Chris Voss's Never Split The Difference. He also has a really good masterclass as well. 

Edited by Focus Shift

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

9 hours ago, Focus Shift said:

@ItsNick

As far as my portfolio goes, I do have a website with a few categories. If anyone has any suggestions to make it more viable or make the most out of it I would love to hear any feedback. 

https://www.focusshiftmedia.net/

Your website looks neat.

But well you'd have to market it.

If you're okay at writing you could try writing about your creative experiences on Medium for example and build up a following. Or write tutorials etc. And then write those same stories on a blog on your own site. It could also help you grow your email list and drive more traffic.

Example: https://uxdesign.cc/how-to-fix-dragging-animation-in-ui-with-simple-math-4bbc10deccf7

People have quite some success writing tutorials on how to solve technical problems everyone faces.

Anyway this is just some random idea on how to market your site. Try out different things and test for what works.

Other than that just continue to challenge yourself with creative projects and showcase a lot of your work for free as well.

Edited by ItsNick

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

@Focus Shift Thanks dude! That book is already on my booklist!

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

A series? I deeply considered taking the same path as you, becoming a animator and making a series. I quickly realized that it wouldn't work, A series that is... make a film, a series is going to take you way longer, way more money, way more time and to top it all off its going to make you way less money than a film, Films are wayyy easier to market to people and do better financially almost every time. There was no report about how much Demon Slayer made as a series, but the Demon Slayer film (Mugen train) broke world records and is sitting at the top of every Anime ever created (Including series and films) at $503 Million only box office revenue, when you count all the other income sources like merch... that film is way up there in the Trillions.

Its a more long term advice, I was planning on creating a film and then move to series.

Maybe I'll actually pursue that dream, I had innovative ideas like creating world's first 2D Character rigging system so that 2D animation can be done faster and cheaper resulting in better efficiency and better money management and allocation.

@MarkKol That's a good idea. Maybe some short films in the future. Those aren't that bad to make at all. All in all, writing, filming, and editing take around 30 hours to make some smaller skits. I've made 2. People like them, and they're easy to make on relevant issues. 

Connect with us here:

https://linktr.ee/focusshiftmedia

@Focus Shift There is a guy on Youtube who made such an amazing 3D video series about aliens, and he only received minimal help from other artists if I can remember correctly. I can't access youtube right now but I think the series is 3 or 4 videos long, if you add up those videos It probably comes close to 1.30h or 2 hours, and that's exactly how long films are. 

It's MelodySheep on YT the series is called Life beyond 

It did take him a long time to make those vids, but hey Eric Barone the guy who made Stardew Valley coded the game by himself in 4 years.

On 31.1.2022 at 1:45 PM, Superfluo said:

How do you deal with that? Any advice? More and better self-promotion? More networking? Being an introvert, this seems a crucial sticking point for introverts or people with poor networking skills (which obviously is solved by improving your networking skills and social skills). How to strategically deal with this obstacle?

You build a cushion.

The advice is that you should tripple your job income for three month. Then you can make the jump.

I think that is a bit conversative but if you value safety or have a family that might make sense.