Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

I've decided to rejoin toastmasters

8 posts in this topic

A few years ago I joined some toast masters meetings but only really dipped my toe in. I am considering rejoining. Does anyone else here currently attend toastmaster meetings? 

I really enjoy the format and I notice that the more I speak on youtube, reviewing some of my old videos, and as I am working on my webinar and setting up my online Qigong teaching business that my current speaking skills just are not at the level that they need to be.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Online has really killed a lot of toastmasters for me. In person toastmasters really helps point out issues in your speaking and pushes you. Still, a good quality group can go a long way. These days the only group I am in most of the members are 70 or older. Some have been a toastmaster for decades. It is pretty solid and I like them, but it has some cons once you get too comfortable. I have zero fears speaking in front of them and could easily just wing a speech on the spot with them. I find myself a bit bored with their pace sometimes. Personally, if I was going to pick another group I would choose one that I felt nervous to speak in front of more. Once, I move I would like to see if I can do in person again. 

I've been a toastmaster for over two years. I was in two groups at once for over a year. I've done competition for speech evaluations and for a speech. Personally, I can say it has benefited me a lot. You just have to be careful with picking the group. If you can seek out a high quality group that has serious speakers. You don't want to be learning from newbies or people just into it casually. That part is much easier with it being online. You can actually seek out and join groups anywhere in the world. 

There is a also a lot of good books and training you can do yourself. I find myself progressing faster training myself at home these days. I feel like on some level toastmasters can be a distraction from really grinding out the skill. 

Ahh.. mine is through a university and the crowd is pretty young.. 

I think it’s important when building mastery to at least have a weekly feedback session from peers or those more advanced than you.

Think I’ll pop by the meeting pretty sure it’s on Wednesdays. 

I can just tell by my older videos, and this 90 day video journey group I’m in on Facebook that my public speaking is currently weak sauce!

Deliberate Practice! 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

When looking at your videos your presentation skills seem fine. I only see some insecurity coming from you, it seems you aren't commiting to the words you are speaking, there's a layer of hesitation in your communication. If you just keep practicing and growing in confidence this should improve.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Yep, I have. They are great for building public speaking skills. It looks easy but when you get up there it is not easy freezing up a bit and getting a bit shy. I would recommend you go. It’s a great way to meet people too. It can really help your social skills. 

Good idea, OP. I've been a member of Toastmasters for over a year now. It definitely has helped improved my overall speaking skills in many ways.

@Thought Art I used to. I found it pretty straightforward as I was doing a lot of game when i started it, so a lot of it wasn't so daunting.

I always liked table topics. That was fun. I liked being a touch sadistic when i was the table topics master tho lmao

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback