Epikur

US could be under rightwing dictator by 2030, Canadian professor warns

14 posts in this topic

“We mustn’t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine,” Thomas Homer-Dixon, founding director of the Cascade Institute at Royal Roads University in British Columbia, wrote in the Globe and Mail.

“In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.”

Homer-Dixon’s message was blunt: “By 2025, American democracy could collapse, causing extreme domestic political instability, including widespread civil violence. By 2030, if not sooner, the country could be governed by a rightwing dictatorship.”

Edited by Epikur

Nah, January 6th while shocking - showed how pathetical and ineffective right wing movements are. I believe Donald Trump was an anomaly, and that it's not that likely (but not impossible) someone as unique as him will come along that's able to stir the pot to the same degree. Regular people are tired of this shit, which is why the most unremarkable, bland, lifetime politician Joe Biden is president.

There is 100% going to be civil unrest going into the future I don't doubt that, but American democracy isn't going to straight up collapse into a Libertarian leaning rightwing dictatorship lol. This isn't some tiny country where that kind of change is normalized.

What we are going to see is the US turning into something of a decayed post-capitalist wasteland, while occasionally hearing a whimper from a bygone obnoxious right-wing culture.

Ironically all the development is getting centralized in coastal cities, which are soon to be threatened by rising sea levels.

"May we live in interesting times." ;)

hrhrhtewgfegege

I posted a video on this on my thread “This is a frightening scenario.” I too am about this possibility. Though I think Roy is probably right.

This is my prediction for this decade. 

Both left and right wing forces are gaining momentum in US politics. 

Neither will really occupy the terrain.

It will be a cold war between the two. Most people will simply try to align with the middle out of frustration and misery. 

Right wing is getting gimmicky whereas the left is an echo chamber bubble. 

I see a clash of two egos. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Three retired generals warn of a CIVIL WAR if 2024 election results are not accepted by sections of the military following a 'Trumpian figure': Demand leaders of Jan. 6 are brought to justice

Former Army Major Gen Paul Eaton, former Brigadier Gen Steven Anderson and former Army Major Gen Antonio Taguba warned of another coup attempt 

They claimed in a column for The Washington Post that there may be an attack similar to the January 6 Capitol riot after the 2024 election 

'Military and lawmakers have been gifted hindsight to prevent another insurrection,' they wrote, saying leaders must take action now 

Meanwhile billionaire Ray Dalio predicts there is a 30 percent chance of US Civil War in the next ten years because of 'emotional' political polarization' 

Three retired US generals warned Friday that America's divided military could fuel a new civil war if there's another coup attempt after the 2024 election because 'more than 1 in 10 of those charged in January 6 attacks had a service record'. 

Former Army Major Gen Paul Eaton, former Brigadier Gen Steven Anderson and former Army Major Gen Antonio Taguba made the worrisome claim in a column for The Washington Post.

'As we approach the first anniversary of the deadly insurrection at the US Capitol, we - all of us former senior military officials - are increasingly concerned about the aftermath of the 2024 presidential election and the potential for lethal chaos inside our military, which would put all Americans at severe risk,' the generals penned.

'We are chilled to our bones at the thought of a coup succeeding next time,' they added. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10324435/Generals-warn-divided-military-fuel-new-CIVIL-WAR-theres-coup-attempt-2024-election.html

When I see a story like this suddenly appearing in a coordinated manner across the media, the first thing I ask is not whether it's true, but why is it being promoted as news? Why is this narrative being pushed? What agenda does it serve? As we've seen with the Trump-Russia stories, Saddam's WMDs and many other stories, the media is very good at pushing false narratives to advance certain agendas. If you aren't asking these questions all the time of the media, you're a dupe following their script, imo. Remember, the "mainstream media" in the USA is almost entirely owned by six corporations, each run by a small group of people, which gives them a powerful ability to coordinate their messaging, but whose interests don't necessarily align with yours.

37 minutes ago, Space Lizard said:

When I see a story like this suddenly appearing in a coordinated manner across the media, the first thing I ask is not whether it's true, but why is it being promoted as news? Why is this narrative being pushed? What agenda does it serve? As we've seen with the Trump-Russia stories, Saddam's WMDs and many other stories, the media is very good at pushing false narratives to advance certain agendas. If you aren't asking these questions all the time of the media, you're a dupe following their script, imo. Remember, the "mainstream media" in the USA is almost entirely owned by six corporations, each run by a small group of people, which gives them a powerful ability to coordinate their messaging, but whose interests don't necessarily align with yours.

Or you could check the arguments

I would think that a true dictator of a 1st world country would get assassinated pretty quickly.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

15 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

I would think that a true dictator of a 1st world country would get assassinated pretty quickly.

How would an American dictator get assassinated If he ends up controlling the most powerful military in the world?

2 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

How would an American dictator get assassinated If he ends up controlling the most powerful military in the world?

Leftist incels.

12 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Leftist incels.

lol. Seriously? 

23 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

lol. Seriously? 

If it's possible to imagine The Statue of Liberty being toppled by a true to life dictator, it's possible to imagine them being assassinated by a leftist incel as well :D

20 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If it's possible to imagine The Statue of Liberty being toppled by a true to life dictator, it's possible to imagine them being assassinated by a leftist incel as well :D

So, you're saying that the probably of an official authoritarian taking over the country is extremely unrealistic. Then, how come Russia slid back from having a democratic government to an authoritarian one right after Putin took charge of the country?

2 hours ago, Hardkill said:

So, you're saying that the probably of an official authoritarian taking over the country is extremely unrealistic. Then, how come Russia slid back from having a democratic government to an authoritarian one right after Putin took charge of the country?

I guess because Americans are superior. lol