Avoiding Fake Spirituality

14 posts in this topic

I think that becomes inherently realized as you start to really be honest with yourself. It's good to point out as a serious trap.

Another take on this is the sad fact that some people will never give spirituality a chance, because some poisonous influences (e.g. fake gurus) got to them first.

They might give something a shot, and when utter disappointment (and perhaps embarrassment too) is the result received, begin to discredit the entire thing as fucking woo-woo.

Endless nuance

4 minutes ago, Simon Zackrisson said:

Another take on this is the sad fact that some people will never give spirituality a chance, because some poisonous influences (e.g. fake gurus) got to them first.

They might give something a shot, and when utter disappointment (and perhaps embarrassment too) is the result received, begin to discredit the entire thing as fucking woo-woo.

Yeah have first-hand experience with this.. I think my girlfriend must have had some previous experience of being scammed or something by some personal development bullshit way long ago, and when I tried to show her one of Leo's videos recently she called him a snake oil salesman and wouldn't have any of it hahah.

I totally fell for this too, the good old "Law of Attraction"... Then when something bad happened, like I got a ticket I'm thinking "what the hell did I do wrong to attract that?" That's actually how I found Leo's videos, by trying to research the LOA deeper than just the book "The Secret". 

There are literally thousands of spiritual techniques, rules, myths, dogma, rituals, etc. 

Many people take what is convenient for them and use the catch phrases that sound very good to their ego, but most of them end up just inflating that ego to humongous proportions, but never become a true spiritual being. 

Classic example is that of yoga teachers that have been "accredited" after 60 days course - no understanding and no model of behavior provided there...

I have "friends" that have been on a "spiritual path" for decades, still, their life is still full of drama, judging, hatred and upheaval. 

Another facet of this, would be the polarity between "positive focus" (LOA, affirmations, visualizations) and shadow work (forever dwelling in different forms of "clearing" the subconscious) 

Thanks

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Isn't all spirituality "fake" spirituality when taught? How does one who is not yet in a spiritual state differentiate between "fake" and the "true" without having any understand of what truth is?

Sadhguru proposes during his talks that at one point any being comes to an impasse of understanding everything is nonsense, or everything is sacred. Both are beautiful viewpoints, and both equally enlightening. The reason I quote that is to say that any experience or metaphor is illusory, or fake. Whether they are sacred, or nonsense entirely depends on your present view. Leo proposes in his latest video on human knowledge that even everything he is teaching or has put on actualized.org is all illusions, it's all nonsense. What is different here is that his nonsense is claiming it is nonsense which may give you an insight into other illusions present in your world view.

In my humble opinion this is the true purpose of any spiritual teaching. To give you insights into the illusions you cling to, and perhaps assist you in avoiding illusions down the way. In that sense both "fake" and "true" spirituality are important. Both can give insights (albeit in different ways) into life, and the illusions permeating "your" existence. It all comes down to how open minded your present state is, and how "you" receive the information.

Sometimes falling into a trap is extremely important, only in falling into the trap and extricating oneself from it can one learn to see the trap for what it is. Furthermore that realization that it is a trap had to come from within, and can then spark the motivation to not just avoid future traps and see them for what they are, but to pursue the actual truth.

And that's what this whole thing is all about is it not? :)

Truly

Z

8 hours ago, MaydayB4 said:

There are literally thousands of spiritual techniques, rules, myths, dogma, rituals, etc. 

Many people take what is convenient for them and use the catch phrases that sound very good to their ego, but most of them end up just inflating that ego to humongous proportions, but never become a true spiritual being. 

Classic example is that of yoga teachers that have been "accredited" after 60 days course - no understanding and no model of behavior provided there...

I have "friends" that have been on a "spiritual path" for decades, still, their life is still full of drama, judging, hatred and upheaval. 

Another facet of this, would be the polarity between "positive focus" (LOA, affirmations, visualizations) and shadow work (forever dwelling in different forms of "clearing" the subconscious) 

Thanks

Nice summation! The shadow work seems perpetual to keep track of the spiritual being.

A quick study of eastern spirituality revealed a lot. The model of behavior is why it may seem that martial arts or some operative practice such as healing, meditative or otherwise, is involved for one to find and maintain enough clarity to make long strides in the right directions.

In my mind it's pretty easy to spot the difference between real and fake spirituality.

Fake spirituality builds up ideas and beliefs and rituals.

Real spirituality crumbles your worldview and forces you to just BE, in silence. Real spirituality is very radical and open. I instantly feel the vibe from the person. Real spiritual teachers are so authentic it shocks you because you suddenly see the sharp contrast between them and everyone else who's playing the ego game.

The person's demeanor speaks for itself.

You can instantly tell by watching someone like Tolle or Sadhguru or Osho that they are not fucking around. They are congruently living in another universe.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

In my mind it's pretty easy to spot the difference between real and fake spirituality.

Real spirituality crumbles your worldview and forces you to just BE, in silence. Real spirituality is very radical and open. I instantly feel the vibe from the person. Real spiritual teachers are so authentic it shocks you because you suddenly see the sharp contrast between them and everyone else who's playing the ego game.

i dont know the sound for BUCHUAHHGGRRRYUHHGHG

11 hours ago, Zotikos said:

Isn't all spirituality "fake" spirituality when taught? How does one who is not yet in a spiritual state differentiate between "fake" and the "true" without having any understand of what truth is?

Sadhguru proposes during his talks that at one point any being comes to an impasse of understanding everything is nonsense, or everything is sacred. Both are beautiful viewpoints, and both equally enlightening. The reason I quote that is to say that any experience or metaphor is illusory, or fake. Whether they are sacred, or nonsense entirely depends on your present view. Leo proposes in his latest video on human knowledge that even everything he is teaching or has put on actualized.org is all illusions, it's all nonsense. What is different here is that his nonsense is claiming it is nonsense which may give you an insight into other illusions present in your world view.

In my humble opinion this is the true purpose of any spiritual teaching. To give you insights into the illusions you cling to, and perhaps assist you in avoiding illusions down the way. In that sense both "fake" and "true" spirituality are important. Both can give insights (albeit in different ways) into life, and the illusions permeating "your" existence. It all comes down to how open minded your present state is, and how "you" receive the information.

Sometimes falling into a trap is extremely important, only in falling into the trap and extricating oneself from it can one learn to see the trap for what it is. Furthermore that realization that it is a trap had to come from within, and can then spark the motivation to not just avoid future traps and see them for what they are, but to pursue the actual truth.

Truly

Z

It's so interesting from that video how the real test of knowledge is experience.  You really don't know until you know.  And in some of the enlightenment videos he even said he couldn't really describe the experience, it had to be done on your own.  So true!

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You can instantly tell by watching someone like Tolle or Sadhguru or Osho that they are not fucking around. They are congruently living in another universe.

That reminds me of Yogananda.  They said he had such a strong presence about him, you could feel his energy through his eyes.   The real ones always stand out.

23 hours ago, Zotikos said:

Truly

Z

It is inevitable. Even the trap. Some of those traps are very enlightening especially when you see them coming and are simply overwhelmed! Some say history repeats but it never happens the same way. It can't.

On 2016-02-06 at 5:39 AM, Leo Gura said:

But we need the ideas, beliefs and rituals, the conceptualisation so to speak in order to learn and dare to let go and just BE, in silence, right? 

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

@MarkusSweden I feel resonance with this.

"I" need to feel that im not just fucking pathetically operating through someone else's feelgood agenda, that it's me that rationally and with awareness chose, to begin to perhaps accept a perspective where I start dismantling myself, or the illusion of separation. If this makes any sense..

Like I need to understand and feel like i "checked" out the marks of logical concepts, so we are in holistic coherence. Which is why I appreciated leo's video on infinity lately, that he helped to put these mind objections to rest.

And no, they aren't now sleeping forever and will never be, I will never stop to apply critical thinking. But i think life is a constant journey, back and forth back and forth. Isn't this maybe an element of excitement and wonder in this reality too . Imagine if we mapped out everything already . Hm .

I think there is a point in maintaining a healthy "ego", while still growing and having the spiritual sides as support .

Yin, yang. 

Endless nuance