Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UNZARI

I’ve been struggling with this

7 posts in this topic

I’ve been struggling with the realization that my art doesn’t matter. Most of the time I can get past it. But sometimes it really hurts me.

if I spend years learning to paint and to perfect that craft. My painting MIGHT just hang on someone’s wall. Maybe a few people will think it’s pretty then move on with their day. 

at least if I was a really good musician my songs could make people cry or make them happy. 

to be clear, I make music and visual art. Sometimes it just seems like what the hell is the point? Yes I do get joy from making it , but sometimes the finished work is just meaningless

Couple thoughts:

You may benefit from sharing your artistic process. Especially on social media. It might get you inspired if others are more involved with seeing you :) 

If you’re making art that’s just “pretty” and that’s it—make different art.

I love art because it moves my soul and inspires me to make my own. Are you putting your soul into your art?

Also, there are very famous artists who didn’t become famous until after they died and I think what you’re describing is one of the many dilemmas artists face so know you’re not alone in that. Getting others involved in your creative process may help if that interests you. 

"You Create Magic" 

What does it mean for something "to matter"? In what sense?

On 18/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, Flowerfaeiry said:

I love art because it moves my soul and inspires me to make my own.

This is also my experience ^_^

The littlest things inspire people to take a different direction in life...

You have control over what you create, you don't have control over what others think about it, or how they're moved.

A girlfriend told me the other day that she's still thinking about that thing I said to her 2 years ago and it really helps her. To me, it was just a random piece of information at that time. Other times, I think I'm having great insights and it just doesn't stick with anyone else.

I think the key is to enjoy what you're doing and not make it dependent on the response you get from the outside. As in: "If you couldn't tell anyone about what you're doing, what would you do?"

Also, the youtube documentation is a great tip! I love watching people who are passionate about something, anything.

On 18.12.2021 at 6:50 AM, UNZARI said:

Sometimes it just seems like what the hell is the point? Yes I do get joy from making it , but sometimes the finished work is just meaningless

?

Sometimes I record some absolutely lovely melodies, build the track around it a bit, and almost have a small finished track in an hour or two, which would only need a few adjustments and refinements to completely finish.. and then I'll go ahead and close the program without saving the file. I'll never hear it again, and I'll never be able to recreate exactly what I've recorded, let alone remember it. On one hand, it hurts a bit. On the other hand, it reminds me of why I'm doing it in the first place, and that feels pretty liberating. It's humbling to remind yourself that eventually everything will come to an end. Go to a record store, preferably one which has tons of old vinyl records. No one knows any of these artists anymore. They're just one of many forgotten artists. As the dust settles on the records, the bittersweet impermanence of this life shines through.

On 12/18/2021 at 0:50 AM, UNZARI said:

I’ve been struggling with the realization that my art doesn’t matter.

The only person it needs to matter to is you. This is what it means to be passionate about your art.

On 18/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, UNZARI said:

I’ve been struggling with the realization that my art doesn’t matter. Most of the time I can get past it. But sometimes it really hurts me.

Although on a God level, I'd say this is an illusion, because Everything matters, I do understand the desire to do something that matters on a relative level too.

Most successful artists have found a way to create a mission around their art, they want to change the way people think in a certain way, or inspire people to do X or Y, et cetera. Could be anything, from just making people feel good, to motivating people to make love not war, to motivating people to have more compassion for animals. Whatever is their jam.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it. Every artist you love has a mission around it that they believe in.

That enables them to have the drive to continue in hard moments.

You need to come up with something like that, if you want to get past this, and have your art feel more like a purpose.

And then verify and convince yourself that it actually does that to people, that you're not just playing mind-games with yourself.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Who’s struggling? Who realized this? Who’s art? Who get’s past it? Who’s hurt by this? Who spends years? Who’s perfecting anything? Who makes music and visual art? Who gets joy? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE