soos_mite_ah

Staying in bed for 1 hour after waking up

26 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

No offense but this kind of sounds like how some people tell others that they are depressed and then the other people reply with *just be positive it's a choice.*

You didn't mention in your original post that you were actively suffering from depression.

If not, then what is physically or mentally stopping you from getting out of bed? It's literally just willpower. It IS just a choice. Laziness. You just don't want to hear the obvious solution.

Do you just want people to say it's okay to lay in bed for an extra hour every day to justify your laziness? Are you expecting we'll prescribe some magic herb or exercise or something? Just get up.

You said you tried the putting your alarm clock across the room thing. What happens with that, do you still not just get up? Or do you get up and then immediately get back in bed? If the latter.... just get up and stop getting back into bed.

Look, my wife is one of these people that has to go through 6 - 10 alarms to get up and it drives me nuts. But guess what? If she actually has something important to get up for, she just gets up. Funny how that works.

Edited by Yarco

7 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

My morning routine consists of me waking up, laying in bed for an hour if I don't have classes first thing in the morning, checking my phone, brushing my teeth and washing my face, drinking some water, and doing my makeup and getting ready for the day, I would fit in about 5-10 minutes of just being present/meditating and then go on a walk for at least 10 minutes or so to get to where I need to go (and before going on the walk I make myself breakfast during the weekends). I also like to play music during this time entire time as well. I find that as long as I'm present and I'm not rushing through my routine that I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Do you also make breakfast during weekedays? What does it usually consist of? Eating a meal within 60 minutes post-waking up helps you shave off the cortisol peak in the body that has accumulated as a result of overnight fasting It has been found in some studies that skipping breakfast can induce depressive states in some people. This in itself may not fix it but could help. It would also help with the morning routine, which seems like a really good one already. 

I know this is probably easier said than done but that 1 hour when you remain in bad could be making if very hard to find the drive for the morning that you need. The signal the brain is receiving is that "there is no reason to wake up but it is not time to sleep either anymore" and so naturally what may happen is a bit of tug of war and some stress may start building up which will further increase the resistance towards waking up. Sometimes the most counterintuitive thing to do could be to force yourself to rise up regardless of how you feel about it and get on with the routine, get some mild cool water exposure on legs, belly and arms, splash a face and maybe add about 10-20 squats to wake up the muscles and get the circulation going. Also making the bed and letting it look neat give another signal to the mind which is that "time for bed is over and we are not going back" 

Another helpful tip is to make some stronger green tea in the morning, green tea is BDNF stimulant and helps with neuroplasticity which is essential when you try to retrain your mind to perceive things ina different way or to break old patterns. A few drops of Gotu Kola tincture in that tea may make this effect even stronger.  May be helpful while you try to break the old routine of laying in bed. 

But maybe this does not resonate with you at all, that's also possible, in such case just ignore it. Best of luck 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 That are good suggestions, thank you!

@soos_mite_ah With morning routine I meant being busy for the first 1 hour with things that inspire you. Make it attractive to get out and decrease the attractiveness of reasons for staying in it.

At the end of the day it's just a matter of time. If it bothers you, makes you suffer and creates frustration then at some point you will just move.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Yarco I'm not actively suffering with depression, I was just drawing an analogy. And yeah when I have something already planned like an early morning class, I tend to only roll around in bed for 20 minutes before getting up because if I miss class I will get points deducted from my grades. I guess it isn't a question of whether I feel like it or If I feel inspired to wake up in the morning rather it's more of an accountability thing. 

On 12/12/2021 at 10:58 PM, Yarco said:

Do you just want people to say it's okay to lay in bed for an extra hour every day to justify your laziness? Are you expecting we'll prescribe some magic herb or exercise or something? Just get up.

no I'm trying to figure out why I do this mainly from a curiosity stand point. I'll figure out my action plan afterwards. 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:42 AM, Michael569 said:

Do you also make breakfast during weekedays? What does it usually consist of? Eating a meal within 60 minutes post-waking up helps you shave off the cortisol peak in the body that has accumulated as a result of overnight fasting It has been found in some studies that skipping breakfast can induce depressive states in some people. This in itself may not fix it but could help. It would also help with the morning routine, which seems like a really good one already. 

I don't make breakfast during the weekdays. I unfortunately got out of that habit once I went back to school. But I do have a brunch of sorts sometime at around 10:30 after my morning classes and right before the crowd comes in during lunch. Normally, I would have an omelette with some onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and tomatos mixed in as well as whatever fruit my school cafeteria has out that day and anything else that catches my eye. 

On 12/13/2021 at 4:42 AM, Michael569 said:

Another helpful tip is to make some stronger green tea in the morning, green tea is BDNF stimulant and helps with neuroplasticity which is essential when you try to retrain your mind to perceive things ina different way or to break old patterns. A few drops of Gotu Kola tincture in that tea may make this effect even stronger.  May be helpful while you try to break the old routine of laying in bed. 

Ooohh this actually sounds really nice.

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

Also update: I noticed that on days that are cloudy I tend to be even more tempted to stay in bed for much longer because when it's cloudy I don't get any natural light in my room and as a result it feels like it's like the break of down (like 6 am or so) instead of it being later in the day. 

Also, not sure if this is tmi and kind of weird but I notice that I stay in bed longer when I'm in a more cuddly mood. Like often times, the first thought I have in the morning  is how much I want to hug a person lol. Not sure if my lack of romantic life has anything to do with my emotional state first thing in the morning or if this is something that's just in my head but I thought I'd throw if out there. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/