Mada_

Was there a distinct moment you let go of physique?

7 posts in this topic

I don't lift weights, Ive never tracked my calories. 

I do Classical Hatha yoga and BJJ to stay healthy, and occasionally rock climb. 

I try not to get wrapped up in chasing protruding abs and having big arms, but when I look in the mirror that's all I'm really doing it for. 

My actions say that I am working out and eating well to feel capable, energetic, alive and at ease, but I'm not sure if that is my true belief. 

What about you? 

Heavy compound lifts like squats, bench, deadlift, etc. are great not just for physique but health.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well doing Hatha yoga for big arms and abs will be a hell of a long journey :D ....Ok sorry, jokes aside. I definitely have some degree of that as well. As much as I like to tell myself that I exercise for good health, there is a great degree of vanity in that. I rarely miss an opportunity to flex in front of a mirror (when unobserved) and spotting the mirror with the best lighting at the lighting speed is the superpower I cultivated in my teenage years. 

Either way, I think (and this may be biased opinion) that having a degree of vanity in there is ok and totally natural. But it shouldn't become toxic to the point that we get neurotic about not having ultra chiselled six-pack or jawline or feeling like less of a human because someone else can lift more or looks better. Use that element of vanity and showmanship let it channel drive and motivation into your workouts but don't let it be the sole motivating factor. For example, I noticed I can ramp up my strength and endurance during circuit training if I feel I am being observed especially by a female I find attractive...like that takes away 30-50% of the fatigue. It probably isn't ideal but hey, use every opportunity to push a little bit harder eh 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

13 hours ago, Mada_ said:

I don't lift weights, Ive never tracked my calories. 

I do Classical Hatha yoga and BJJ to stay healthy, and occasionally rock climb. 

I try not to get wrapped up in chasing protruding abs and having big arms, but when I look in the mirror that's all I'm really doing it for. 

My actions say that I am working out and eating well to feel capable, energetic, alive and at ease, but I'm not sure if that is my true belief. 

What about you? 

I let go of it for a while but then I always ended up gaining too much weight and seeing health impacts.  So now I just made going to the gym (I do both strength training and cardio) a lifestyle and I dont ever plan on going back to the old lifestyle.  This is the most healthy.  Also it's OK if you have a little ego and stare at your arms or abs..I still do it too :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

I let that go years ago when i really realized that this body is going to die and that is really stupid to flex in front of a mirror. That said i'm back at it and it's fun lol. Just in a more relaxed manner. I'm building these pecs to become top gorilla. Yeah it's nice. 

I let go of my physique when I started valuing how I locomote through space aka when I started really studying movement vs just starting exercise/muscle hypertrophy 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

No I didn't had a distinct moment of letting go my physique. At the moment I'm doing a very big break and I'm little old but I've reached a level were I could get an IFFB pro card.

I never chased titles I did it for psychotherapy only. 

One should never let go his physique, the human body is something very beautiful and we have to praise it.

and the Iron is very healing !

20211208_224943.jpg

Edited by Insane butterfly