john1

Can I learn multiple skills at once?

5 posts in this topic

I'm in high school, living with my parents, have school online, and have very very minimal course work. So I have all the time in the world.

I want to learn to draw, play piano, and become fluent in another language. Also, I have all the resources in order to do all these things.

What should my attack plan be for learning all those skills? One at a time? Two at a time? Is it sustainable to do all three, like I'm doing now?

One at a time. Learn to quit things fast to focus on the most important. Splitting your attention will probably mean that you probably won't master any of them. You can try them out as long as you want but if you want to master something you must choose. 

Yeah obviously you can't play the piano 16 hours a day, can you?

So you can split the tasks up. 2 hours for piano, rest, then another 2 hours for drawing, rest, then learn your languages. Such that when you are tired of one activity, you can switch your attention to another.

Edited by hyruga

3 hours ago, john1 said:

Is it sustainable to do all three, like I'm doing now?

Definitely! 

Here’s some tips for those things that come to mind:

Pimsleur courses are amazing for learning a new language (and a worthy monetary investment). They help with correct pronunciation and being able to put sentences together. That is half an hour each day.

You also want to watch a TV show or movie in the new language (without subtitles ime) and listen to podcasts/books/music(active listen). Duolingo has easy to listen to podcasts that are great for beginners. Google “how to learn a new language” and explore a bit. Knowing how the language learning process works is essential. You can even listen to a podcast or music in that language while drawing to familiarize yourself with it.

Practice piano a little bit each day. Don’t try and commit to an hour a day right away. Half an hour is much easier and you will still make great progress. A teacher is really helpful when it comes to music but it’s absolutely doable without one!! Thank god for YouTube.

Being an artist and musician is a MESSY process. It may not feel like you’re making progress and you may get discouraged a lot. It takes a LONG time to get good. You have to have a goal in mind and be passionate and consistent. 

I like having a calendar where I mark what art I practiced on what day. That way I feel accomplished when I see them lined up in a row and it inspires me to keep going.

Mostly and above all, don’t bite off more than you can chew. You might overwhelm yourself. Doing a little bit each day is eons better than practicing 4 hours a day for a week and then not practicing for another month.

You got this!

Edited by Flowerfaeiry

"You Create Magic" 

@john1

Beware of overstraining yourself. Push too hard then you'll end up getting frustrated and learning very little.