bonesurfer

Had Samadhi experience- what now?

9 posts in this topic

Hey all,

As the title says, I recently had a samadhi-esque experience while on an Ayahuasca ceremony. I've looked through models of consciousness during meditation and on psychedelics and have found several names for what I experienced including: boundless consciousness, "true self", nothingness, void, radiant unity, one-ness, the Buddha smile, and "Change of Lineage".

I know I'm not enlightened, because I feel a major welling of pride for having reached this milestone in my spiritual development. I definitely still have desires. However, the way I look at reality has fundamentally changed. I now know where I came from, the nature of god (intuitively on a somewhat shallow level), and see the people around me as brothers and sisters of god.

I feel like I've found true religion at this point, and want to take advantage of this new paradigm. For those who have been, what are your experiences and what advice would you have for someone who has reached stream-entry-or-close.

Major love and respect to you all.

how recently was the ayahuasca ceremony?

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

Now try to reach it without psychedelics.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@catcat69123

The Friday before last.

@Leo Gura

I'm thirsty for it bro. I'm starting to get into the Turquoise material. I like A Course in Miracles. Anything you consider essential?

Congrats! Whatever it was, it sounds quite significant to your path. You wouldn’t equate it to these attainments/rarefied states if it wasn’t a big moment. 

Did you “experience” cessation/Fruition? This comes about half a second or so after change in lineage when you first attain stream entry. Examining if there was cessation is the most phenomenologically-sound way to know if change of lineage or stream entry occurred. This is the best possibility out of all the things you suspect happened. It’s okay to feel good about yourself with such a thing. I can almost guarantee you that anyone who got there and realized what happened felt that to some degree no matter how anti-celebratory their tradition might be of attainments. 

From Mastering the Core Teaching of the Buddha 2nd Edition/Version:

“Fruition (phala in Pali) is the fruit of all the meditator’s hard work, the first attainment of ultimate reality, emptiness, nirvana, nibbana, ultimate potential, or whatever extrapolative and relatively inaccurate name you wish to call something utterly non-sensate. In this non-state, there is absolutely no time, no space, no reference point, no experience, no mind, no consciousness, no awareness, no background, no foreground, no nothingness, no somethingness, no body, no this, no that, no unity, no duality, and no anything else. “Reality” stops cold and then reappears.“

The advice depends quite a bit on what you actually got to. These terms mean many different things: “boundless consciousness, "true self", nothingness, void, radiant unity, one-ness, the Buddha smile, and "Change of Lineage".” Samadhi is another different thing. Stream entry is another different thing. 

My best recommendation is to continue spiritual practice as you normally do but also read into the phenomenology of these different things so you can know more definitely where you’re at. Being clear where you are at can really impact growth in profound ways. It also has an amazing ego-burning rubber band effect as you find out how great of progress you actually made vs. examining yourself honestly to see how hard you *potentially* overestimated things. Either way, good understanding of the specifics of all of these states/attainments will help you a lot as you move forward. 

I’d be happy to discuss this stuff with you in detail if you wish. My first cessations occurred on 5-28-2021, and I have spent a lot of time developing an increasingly deep understanding and visceral experience of most of the terms you are thinking might have been “it.” Just send me a PM if interested. I can give much more specific instructions if we nail down exactly what happened. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

After having awakenings, the layers of the onion of beliefs have begun peeling. 

Keep on peeling layer by layer by spotting current beliefs you hold and letting them go. 

In my experience the outer layers are philosophical contemplation and dogmatic thinking. The inner layers are the beliefs you hold about the nature of experience itself. 

In other words, great job and keep up the good work. ? 

@Inliytened1

Thanks! Do doubt, dude. Lots of meditation and loving-kindness.

@Fearless_Bum

Thanks for the advice. This has left me curious about what more there is to this experience.

Edited by bonesurfer