Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rilles

Hierarchy Of Power In Society

8 posts in this topic

Would you say this pyramid is correct? Made it myself very quickly, what would you add?

1. Billionaires

2. CEOs of Multinational Companies

3. Big Media Companies

4. Government Politicians

5. A-List Celebrities

6. Self-Employed/CEOs of Smaller Companies

7. B-List Celebrities/Intellectuals/Pundits

8. Middle Class Employed (4k$/month)

9.Working Class/Wage Slaves (2k$/month)

10.Destitute/Homeless

11.Criminals in Prison

12.Mentally Disabled

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Seems pretty accurate for the U.S. context and perhaps the universality of the hierarchy for the global capitalist system context. Nice short and useful list assembling ^_^ Hmm thinking what else you can perhaps add if the isn't already enough of a general point list overview that you don't need to use other criteria for ranking on a hierarchical scale certain professions or statuses in society in terms of the quantity of the power and wealth that they hold in society and in terms of social relations that is one of the main indicator of status and rank in modern capitalist society. 

Edited by Fleetinglife

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'

29 minutes ago, Fleetinglife said:

Seems pretty accurate for the U.S. context and perhaps the universality of the hierarchy for the global capitalist system context. Nice short and useful list assembling ^_^ Hmm thinking what else you can perhaps add if the isn't already enough of a general point list overview that you don't need to use other criteria for ranking on a hierarchical scale certain professions or statuses in society in terms of the quantity of the power and wealth that they hold in society and in terms of social relations that is one of the main indicator of status and rank in modern capitalist society. 

Yes, true! If this would have been the 1500s the hierarchy would be very different! I think I could split all of the levels into more details but being a simple list I just wanted to make a broad overview. Thanks for replying! :)

We could still put religious leaders in somewhere, eg the Pope is powerful. Perhaps in 2. CEO of a

multinational lol. 

That list is pretty spot on.

The next question is what's the lifeblood of this societal pyramid that's in scarce supply?

I'd argue that it's capital, meaning both financial and social capital.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

2 minutes ago, silene said:

We could still put religious leaders in somewhere, eg the Pope is powerful. Perhaps in 2. CEO of a

multinational lol. 

Yes I thought of that, although I dont know if he has as much power nowadays as he used to. Guess I would put him around the politician level of influence and power. Really depends on the country though, in my country he has very little power, in Italy I guess he has tons of power. 

22 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

That list is pretty spot on.

The next question is what's the lifeblood of this societal pyramid that's in scarce supply?

I'd argue that it's capital, meaning both financial and social capital.

Yes, and your skillset and career capital is very important, if you can impress the people at the top they are more likely to invite you in to their club, but the competition is so high you have to be incredibly remarkable, its easier to win the lottery.

Good list!

Those:

1. Billionaires

2. CEOs of Multinational Companies

3. Big Media Companies

Are above the government, it's so sad, it should be the opposite.