Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WokeBloke

Opinions on Tony Parsons?

9 posts in this topic

For those that have time I'm curious to hear what you think about this guy.

Edited by WokeBloke

Why think anything about him? Listen if you like, or don't. If what he says resonates with you, cool. If not, also cool.

I watch his videos sometimes (tho I haven't caught up with this latest one yet), also Jim Newman who has a similar message. Very minimalist style of spirituality, taking no-self consistently to it's conclusion. Although it resonates well with me, he offers no practical methods or techniques to change anything about myself, because supposedly trying to seek an improvement is part of the problem. 

Listening to him is like spring cleaning my mind of the accumulated spiritual clutter - but when I've cleared out the belief systems what then? I still go back to my meditation practice despite what he says. 

6 minutes ago, silene said:

I watch his videos sometimes (tho I haven't caught up with this latest one yet), also Jim Newman who has a similar message. Very minimalist style of spirituality, taking no-self consistently to it's conclusion. Although it resonates well with me, he offers no practical methods or techniques to change anything about myself, because supposedly trying to seek an improvement is part of the problem. 

Listening to him is like spring cleaning my mind of the accumulated spiritual clutter - but when I've cleared out the belief systems what then? I still go back to my meditation practice despite what he says. 

Yeah I see his teaching as fundamentally flawed and anti-life. He insists there is no one there but my understanding tells me I am the one that is there. He says there is nobody and yet there is a body there. Pure contradiction. The whole aim of every person is to improve their life and unfortunately his teaching does not do that for me. He also doesn't take responsibility for his teaching that he is making. Also he says this is apparently happening. I'm not a fan of that word it abstracts reality away to much. I would choose to say this is actually happening or literally happening or simply happening as opposed to apparently happening.

I could be completely wrong but thought I would give my viewpoint.

Edited by WokeBloke

14 minutes ago, WokeBloke said:

Also he says this is apparently happening.

Thanks for your viewpoint, what's all we're all doing even Tony!  This teaching he gives of 'nothing appearing as ... '  I find a bit confusing. 'Appearance' suggests that someone is seeing the appearance - if there's no observer then how can there be an appearance? 

At the end of the day what he offers is talks to an audience, it's as though that's his practice: listening to him talk. If that works for you, gets you the energetic shift (as I think he calls it) then brilliant. If not and you get benefit elsewhere, that's brilliant too. 

Edited by silene

@WokeBloke I haven't used his teachings so I can't tell you the effectivness of it. Nothingness and no-self is only halfway there so eventually you need to throw away the teaching and embrace fullness, everythingness and somethingness.

41 minutes ago, WelcometoReality said:

@WokeBloke I haven't used his teachings so I can't tell you the effectivness of it. Nothingness and no-self is only halfway there so eventually you need to throw away the teaching and embrace fullness, everythingness and somethingness.

Who needs to do all that?

1 hour ago, Chris365 said:

Who needs to do all that?

The question rather becomes what's holding on to the distinction between nothing, everything and something. If there is no distinctions between those and it's all ONE then what is there left to talk about?

His message is unique. It's a communication from no one to no one. It can deeply resonate with you if you are tired of being a seeker. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho