StarStruck

Book recommendations on math and spirituality

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a book connecting math and spirituality

In Tate we trust

Hmm… the books on infinity in the book list may help.

Perhaps A Beginners Guide to Constructing the Universe and From Science to God, too, although the former is more focused on science, nature, and creativity than on spirituality.

Hope that helps in some way.

Edited by UnbornTao

On 18/10/2021 at 1:58 PM, StarStruck said:

I'm looking for a book connecting math and spirituality

Try the book Chaos by James Gleick

"The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World's Most Astonishing Number"

by Mario Livio (2003)

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter, from whence derives the famous idea of the "strange loop". You might also like David Foster Wallace's book Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity, tracing the work of mathematicians like Georg Cantor.

It is claimed that Plato only ever gave one public lecture titled 'On The Good'. He spent the whole time talking about mathematics, leaving most of the attendees puzzled. Unfortunately, this lecture has not been passed down, but Pythagoras also used mathematics as the ideal vehicle for expressing metaphysics and philosophy. His surviving works have been compiled in the book Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library by Kenneth Sylvan Guthrie. You could also investigate practices such as Gematria and the use of numerology in the Kabbalah.

Mathematics today has almost entirely lost its essential nature and is largely the whore of the physical sciences and man's lust for technological power. At best, it is the more or less idle luxury of an elite class of ivory-tower academics who no nothing of true spirituality. On this note, the best book that I can recommend to you is The Metaphysical Principles of the Infinitesimal Calculus by René Guénon.

He who bathes in the light of Oeaohoo will never be deceived by the veil of Mâyâ. 

Helena Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine