Silvester

Desperately Trying To Find Meaning

14 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

I have had a realization yesterday. In the evening,  I had been very productive and I planned to watch a Tv Show, I felt something, I think it was some kind of insight. Everything suddenly felt like a distraction. I contemplated my whole life and it all felt meaningless in that moment. I don't know if I can trust that feeling though. 

In the last few months I had been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life. I planned to finish school and then go travel, enjoy life, grow myself, become a writer on the road and learn about spirituality. That felt good, it felt kind of exciting and also comfortable. Very self centered too. 

But now ,whatever I think of, doesn't feel meaningful enough. I feel that I want to help people, want to change their lives to the better, I want to have a big influence on a very, very large group. I have no idea where this urge came from. I googled how one may do that (I know, I am so desperate) but I only found little changes to your everyday lifestyle that you can make easily. Thats not what I want. I want to do something big. I feel like this is the only opportunity, if I don't start now while I am young, I may never achieve anything significant. I have been thinking of becoming a writer for a long time, but now I don't feel like I would have that much of an impact on peoples lives.

I am totally lost and have no idea on what concretely I could do to really make a difference. I don't even have a slight direction, I feel like all the energy that I have, well, theres no catalyst for it, its being wasted.

I have had several ideas but they are not grounded in anything, just random ideas. For example helping them grow similar to how Leo does, or help them find direction and meaning in their life, or help them be okay with their sexuality, or maybe saving the environment and helping future generations like that. There are so many ideas. But I don't know how I would do any of that. 

Maybe I am just freaking out and overreacting. I already feel the motivation fleeting, but this is often the case when I am motivated to do something. Maybe this just means that I want to create more meaning in my life. Maybe I don't have to shoot for something this big, its not like I am 100% sure on this whole changing the world thing. I also feel a little bit of fear when I think of that.

I just need some advice and thoughts about what others think of this 'insight'. 

Thanks for any help. 

I also felt like that one time,

I pictured myself as the new Jesus ...

What I am trying to say is, that yes you're in search of meaning, but meaning doesn't necessarily come from having a big impact on lots of people directly, in a flashy way.

Maybe you're bound to be the next 6 stars chief, who will revolutionize our diet system,

Maybe you're a guy who will launch a new travel start up that will appeal to a certain niche (like for example mixing travelling with spiritual retreat),

Maybe you'll be a musician who will simply create and enjoy his work.

The only way to know is to try many different things, but it could take decades, and you could deceive yourself (having the big ego problem as mentioned above) and never find any meaning at all ...

So I suggest to you to save 250$ and get the Life Purpose Course from Leo, it is so cheap comparing at what it gives you if you're doing it seriously.

Actually save 350$, because the books are amazing.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Hey @Silvester  

I see you are under a lot of pressure. You say that you wanted to travel the world and grow yourself, become a writer on the road. And then you think it is not meaningful enough. You say you want to be a writer, yet you are afraid you will not have a big enough impact. These are fears many people face with their work or passion. But these thoughts somewhat seem like excuses for not living and realising your passions. Quite paradoxical. You want to live your passion, but then you put obstacles on the road, such as fear of failure, or fear of not having enough impact on others. You have no idea if your books will be successful or not. You can never know for sure if the work you're doing will or will not have a great impact on people.  Before you start having any impact  (which may take long years, so have patience), you need to ground yourself, specify what exactly your passion is, how  you wanna influence people, and then do your best to become know-it-all in the area that you want to master. 

It takes time. It takes  sacrifice. Be patient. And don't get neurotic about your life purpose. :)

I wish you luck. 

I'd also recommend Leo's Life Purpose Course. It saves a lot of time. 

The men approach : Get your shit together and buy that shit.

The women approach : It's all gonna be ok, just do your best ok :)

xD

God is love

And God in them

@Shin Both approches are quite similar in meaning. You could merge them and say "It's all gonna be ok when you get your shit together" ^_^

22 hours ago, Silvester said:

Everything suddenly felt like a distraction

A very profound insight. I had this very insight a while ago.

Essentially you're right. But what are we distracting ourselves from? Fundamentally it's the feeling of 'emptiness' that people have when they are doing nothing. A distraction from just 'being' and a compulsive urge to be 'doing' instead. This is where meditation comes in to it's own by helping you become more appreciative towards the beauty of doing nothing and becomming less attached to the 'doing'.

But, we can't all just sit around all day doing nothing. Well, we can, but we don't have to.

22 hours ago, Silvester said:

In the last few months I had been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my life.

Follow your authentic desires and intuition. Do whatever feels natural to you. This can take time to see and understand. But by unplugging from the hedonic, 'busy' world of distractions, and doing regular meditation, authentic desires will start to reveal themselves.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

I lost focus. A while ago. I can see that now, I think,  thank you all for your advice, it was very helpful. 

I saved up already, just waiting for my birthday to be able to buy it  ;) 

I think I will search for what I truly want before I start worrying about what an impact I can/will have. Otherwise it would be like deciding to become a millionaire and after that searching for the job that will get you there, right? And that doesn't seem right, at least for me. 

If you've taken the Life purpose course,

And If you take your time to choose your 10 values, I mean really, like a week, 30 minutes everyday, deleting values that are similar to others (and keeping the strongest one), replacing them with other value, again and again,

AND if you sort them all again by order of importance, by comparing them in the next exercice, again and again and AGAIN,

You have a CRYSTAL CLEAR idea of what you need in your work, in order to be happy,

And that's just like 30% of the exercices, there's A LOT more after :)

God is love

And God in them

you know what happened to me, something similar. I sold my playstation 4 and stoped watching tv and then I started to think what the hell I want to do with my life until now (I haven't decided yet)

Did you take the life purpose ?

I finished the values and strenghts parts, and my life purpose is already pretty clear.

I have absolutely no idea if It can't be done, if I have the abilities, and It is very probable I'll die before I even see its beginning.

But you know what ?

That's doesn't matter,

The fire that it brings in your heart,

This feeling of aliveness that you get,

Is priceless

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

@Silvester Hey There,

I am a Mindset Health and Wellness Coach who helps a lot of people around the world improve the quality of their lifes, however if you are looking for 'easy' ways to start making a difference to the world, you must first work on yourself and your own life. Who will come to your for help if you don't already have the results they are after? 

There is no way I would ever invest in anyone or a program if I didn't do my research on that company or person and see if they have the results I want. 

I know it can be frustrating having so many ideas and not knowing exactly what to do or where to start, you spend a lot of time procrastinating and meanwhile all this time passes and nothing gets done and you freak out even more..

Here's where to start and some things to possibly consider:

* Brainstorm your ideas on paper

* Lets say you have 10 ideas of things you want to do, become and achieve. Number those from 1 to 10. 1 being the one that stands out to you the most that you really really want to do (at this point don't worry about the how, worry about that later).

* Once you have numbered from 1-10. Lets say its ' I want to help people' then brainstorm ideas  on how you can help people. You need to think about why would people come to you for help? Have you helped yourself? If the answer is no then break it down. I need to work on myself and I am going to start by reading some self help books or take a course in personal development or couselling etc. 

* once you have done this give yourself time frames for those small goals. For example: Counselling course takes 6 months to complete. At the end of 6months I will have sucessfully completed my counselling course and read 6 self help books during this time and applying some principals I have learn to my own life. 

* It is important to work on one thing at a time instead of trying to do everything at once because then you get overwhelmed and nothing gets done. 

* Perhaps invest in a coach yourself, someone to give you direction on things you want to work on. For me a long time ago when I began my personal development journey I found Leo on You Tube and he was my mentor on how I thought about things and my life and I applied what he taught me to my life and it changed me and my life as well as other factors. Don't get caught up in watching you tube and reading books though, you need to apply what you have learnt so you get the results and your investment in time and money is worth it. 

We all feel that inspiration to change the world sometimes. You can change the world and help people with their lives no matter what work you're in. It will serve you well everywhere. Don't be preachy though. Be an example. Keep your focus on you. Do every practice you can to keep yourself feeling your best and you will find that the majority of the population is not doing the practices and will naturally look to you for help or guidence or instruction, simply because they sense and see how great you feel. We're all magnetic, drawing towards someone who feels better thus us, and away from those who feel worse.

I don't think you need to solve any of what's on your mind. I say it's what on your mind and that the clarity is missing that should be your way of knowing you need to focus more on your practices.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE