Dryas

Suck it up and study something I don’t really enjoy?

8 posts in this topic

This is about my college major. I live in a third world country and a top priority of mine right now is to get the hell out. 

To do that, I’ll need a degree (or at least that’ll help.) The thing is that all the high paying and high demand stuff like CS and engineering isn’t all that interesting to me. But it’s what makes money. It’s what might get me a job offer abroad. I know I might be suffer a bit and perhaps it will be a miserable couple years. But even so, leaving this place is too important.. right? 

Also, not going to college isn’t an option. 

I’m kinda stressing over this now tbh. I mean it’s a simple logical calculation in my head but I’m anxious at the same time. 

Just posting to seek some additional perspective.

Thanks

@Dryas

from what i see that you are trying to choose between making a living vs doing something you are passionate about 

my answer or if i were you i would certainly undoubtedly choose the career which will earn me more living 

even if i loath it i would force myself to do it and master it or love it 

and about passion 

you can still do your passion any time you want but with a career 

if you missed it 

you never gonna get it back again 

some people from 1world countries won't get this because they never lived or experienced what it is like to be jobless in 3w country 

it's pure fucking jungle and you get paid like cents literally 

i came from there by the way 

Find the joy in it. You can find joy in any subject. Perspective is all.

9 hours ago, impulse9 said:

Find the joy in it. You can find joy in any subject. Perspective is all.

Sure one can find joy in anything. Of course programming languages and AI and all that is interesting and all but studying in uni for it is a whole new ball game..

@Max8 

it's pure fucking jungle and you get paid like cents literally 

Yea, that's a big fear of mine. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, BenG said:

Is there anything in particular that you’re more interested in doing?

I guess there is econ. Not something I'm that passionate about but I guess its better than others.

2 hours ago, BenG said:

I was so uninspired that I had to change majors

That sucks although I don't think I'd change majors if I did commit to it.

You’ll prob have to really feel this one out. I don’t think this is the type of thing people can advise you on.

id say learn as much about the options in front of you as you can do you know what to expect and then you gotta find your way in good faith trying to do the best thing for you.

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Choose a major that you like. You want to do something that you like and be the best that you can be.

If the goal is just to leave your country, then I would cut all of this short and focus on that. Figure out all you can about being able to leave and what it will cost. If this is the only the way, then it might be the best option. Still I would dig deeper into finding all of the options available to you.