Klara

(Aspiring) freelancers: How many hours per week do you typically work?

26 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, impulse9 said:

@supremeyingyang Sure, if you want to burn out and not achieve your highest goals. ;) Neutrality doesn't get you far with your life's work. You need true passion and true love for it to stand out....

I see where you are coming from!

Nowadays I'm very happy compared with me 5 Years ago. I do what I love: learning

People lead you astray by default. The challenge to stay on track was at first discouraging, then normal and now a game.

7 hours ago, impulse9 said:

That's why OP's question is wrong. It should be "how many hours can I put into what I love" instead of "how many hours do I have to suffer to make this work".

This is not available to anyone right away. For most, including me, is  a time of you need to soldier up non voluntary. I call it Purification. Your System gets shell shocked and over the time you transform. Leo called it 'holding your feet to the fire of reality'

@hyruga

haha funny, I implement the book right now. Delegation of repetetive tasks and development of a digital Product (no shipping, less logistics).

The book is really good, but you have to be cautious with Ferriss. He sells the anti mastery mindset, while pursuing mastery himself (basicly he hacks social systems):

Just 3 simple rules to acchieve like a Master... haha. Just a noob with 3 rules.. It tend to be liberating to NTs (who acchieve nothing, just study and theorizing by default) and devastating to majority who by default won't study without force

Edited by supremeyingyang

Why do we experience salary slavery? Is this accurate? Can I easily make an argument that the bare bones of our economic structure to which humans thrive upon is actually stupid and rediculous. Can I also add that upcoming generations will awaken to what we're doing to ourselves in terms of Global Warming, Materialism, and of course overall wage slavery ...

OR, are we priveledged and there's plenty of opportunities available to anyone willingly working towards satisfactory income and stability, with a guarantee that their patience and hard work will rake in justifiable earnings to survive and better yet play with?

Edited by Yeah Yeah

@Ineedanswers I finished Bc in psychology and I make psychology related videos for my channel. It is not going to be monetized any time soon (or I am not sure if even ever) and so I am looking for a job. I wanted to go into marketing full time (I thought it could help me with my channel), but it seems that I dont have enough experience for that :-( and so I am looking into HR positions (which look better for me, but I am not sure if I want to be in HR longterm..) and also I checked some customer support options (mainly by email and twitter), cause it was well paid. But I researched it more and people compared it to call centers and that this job is basically a nightmare, so now I dont know. I completed couple of tasks for this one company and I liked it, but I dont know.

@impulse9 that is lovely what you wrote..I started telling myself that and it feels really nice..

@supremeyingyang  Cause I felt like I absolutely need my relaxation time. Like no matter what I do, I still feel that if somebody actually asked me: what do you want to do most in life? or what do you think is most needed in the world? Then If I should be really honest, I would answer: I want to do nothing (I dont mean watch TV, I mean nothing, stare, be outside, walk, move..) and If I should answer what the world needs the most - for people to do nothing. Stop the crazy activity, you are destroying nature..everybody has to have their own business now (which I admire!!) but at the same time I look at that and see that  people are creating more and more stuff for which there is not actual demand (including me) and so you have to work really hard to CONVINCE people that they need your work when in fact they maybe dont..I dont mean to piss off anybody, I also want to have my own business, but this is just this negative side to it for me..

Anyway, that is how I feel and so to me life purpose is still nice and I enjoy it a lot, but there is still something that I enjoy way more and that is doing nothing. And so in my head I am always making this division work vs not work. And so maybe I need to drop this and just enjoy myself equally no matter what I do and stop thinking about it like this, as it is maybe harming me. I hope I explained it..

On 9/30/2021 at 2:03 AM, Klara said:

@Yarco Wow, thanks for your input. What you wrote sounds amazing, but I am afraid, I am far too away from that now :-) I am in a phase where I am building my skills in my LP, so I dont even monetize it yet. But what you wrote about the rates sounds reasonable. may I ask - what type of work are you doing?

You can build your skills and get paid for it at the same time. Don't be afraid or feel like you aren't good enough. Everyone has to start somewhere and fake it a bit. Everybody has a first client where they've never worked with someone before, everyone has invoice #1. If you have to start by working for less than minimum wage just to get some experience and confidence then do that. 

On 10/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, Medhansh said:

@Yarco

Wow. That's a lot. I have a few questions-

1. Which website do you work on as a freelancer?

2. What do you do? What's your skillset?

3. How much experience do you have in freelancing, and specifically your skill?

I need answers man. Really.

1. I don't. Websites like Upwork or Fiverr are a great place to get started and get some freelancing experience. But eventually you have to break out of them or it's not much better than being a wage slave. Upwork takes 20% for the first $500 you bill to a client... that's f***ng absurd and you'll never get rich that way.

To be a successful freelancer you have to be a business owner and learn to do your own client acquisition and marketing. 

To start off you can look at job boards related to your freelancing topic if they exist. The pay rates aren't that high, but it's better than paying 20% to the platform like Upwork. Eventually you want to start cold pitching companies and asking if they want to work with you. The way to get work is to just go out and ask people to pay you to do stuff. 

Counter-intuitively, the really low-paying clients on sites like Upwork and Fiverr are also the biggest dicks and the most petty and picky when it comes to your work. Good paying clients tend to be a lot more chill and easy to work with.

2. Writer but it doesn't matter, do what you love. I love writing. If I decided I want to be a freelance photographer or video editor or voice actor or logo designer, I could get all the knowledge and start earning $1,000/month in any of those areas in 2 months. I've actually been debating getting into voice acting just to see what it's like.

3. No formal education or training related to my freelancing. I went to school for something totally unrelated. I have 3-4 years experience now, but when I started I had 0 days in writing aside from maybe being a little above-average at English in school.

Here is all you need to get started as a freelancer...
Watch like 5 hours of Youtube videos related to your freelancing skill to get a feel for what it's like and if it's a good fit for you, then find the best online course related to it that you can for $200 or less (probably it will be offered by one of the Youtubers you already watched), then make a website with a couple example pieces of your work and start applying for jobs. You don't know how to make a basic website? I didn't either. There's Youtube tutorials for that. A big part of having your own business is being able to Google stuff and figure it out for yourself. Don't let not knowing how to do something stop you from getting started or making progress. Don't let yourself say "I don't have experience" or "I don't know how" any more. You don't need a university professor for validation to tell you that you're right, you can just go learn it yourself and do it without getting permission from anyone.

Edited by Yarco

@Yarco Profoundly good advice, and I say this as a fellow freelancer.

I advise against all freelancing sites, they are overrun by cheap, unskilled labor. Find regular clients instead. Or let them find you by virtue of having some kind of presence. For example if you're a programmer, there's a lot of places where you can show off your work. If you're good enough, clients will sniff you out on their own, you won't even have to do anything. And if you really love something, you'll get good at it. You'll get really good, so good that your work will outshine the majority and stand out. However for most people, what @Yarco said applies. Do outreach and find your own clients and develop stable relationships with them.

And don't totally discount luck either. Feel lucky and you'll be lucky.