Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Johnny Galt

Does United Nations offer a "good" vision for the future?

17 posts in this topic

Does the UN offer a good vision for the future? Have a look at the following links and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this...

United Nations and World Economic Forum, they are in partnership: https://www.weforum.org/press/2019/06/world-economic-forum-and-un-sign-strategic-partnership-framework/

And so with the UN (Agenda 2030) comes WEF and the 4th Industrial Revolution.

https://horizons.gc.ca/en/2020/02/11/exploring-biodigital-convergence/ (Here are plans for Canada and I assume any country that is signed up to the UN's Agenda 2030)

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/the-fourth-industrial-revolution-what-it-means-and-how-to-respond/

Edited by Johnny Galt

All these new technologies will totally change how we practically live our day to day lives, I am optimistic in regards to that. But I don't have a lot of hope for the near-term restructuring of the economy, all these new technologies and the wealth surplus generated with them will still likely end up largely in the pockets of billionaires. The reformation of the economy will not likely come from these World Economic Forum billionaires at least. So as long as the current economic system is not addressed, these developments will just increase existing inequalities and the billionaires will continue to posture with these statements, with not much walking of the talk. 

The UN on the other hand in general is a very smart organization, it works at the edge of what is acceptable with the values people currently have and ensures continuing global cooperation and coordination thanks to that. The UN is our future, a couple centuries down the line as it continues to develop, we could possibly have some kind of a global democratic government thanks to it. 

Edit:

A related, interesting piece on naive technocapitalist optimism:

https://consilienceproject.org/the-case-against-naive-technocapitalist-optimism/

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

25 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

"All these new technologies will totally change how we practically live our day to day lives"

I think their vision goes beyond that. Considering what's in the video I posted, wouldn't they be redesigning the human being in their own image? Can I dare say, a form of colonization :) It's not only the lives we live that would change, it would be that our thoughts, emotions, and behaviours will be more decided/directed/influenced by AI.

I'll take a look at that link, thanks!

Don't though when viewing or posing any of these questions forget about or overlook the not so glorious past history of these foundational international organizations when considering about their future. For example the impartiality of the UN military coalition in the Korean War, unwillingness and refusal to admit China into its Security Council ranks up until the 1970s up until its economic opening to the West, their failures to stop a genocide in Rwanda in 1994 and its failure to stop or curb war crimes in Bosnia during the same period to mention but a few historical examples. 

Edited by Milos Uzelac

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

United Nations is a dumpster. 

An international dumpster. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I don't see united nations doing something significant rightnow rather than watching ugly things happening around the world!

in fact, people in cinema are more reactive than them. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

3 hours ago, Windappreciator said:

@hamedsf Maybe it's because you don't care to look close enough.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh you, animation guy again! you are so cute! ?

Edited by hamedsf

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@hamedsf thinking I am cute? That's not very manly of you!

I thought you are a real man, hamed?

shinchan-eyebrows-shinchan-eyes-shinchan-eyebrows.gif

Edited by Windappreciator

The UN's impartiality to genocides and wars in the world is precisely what keeps it functioning. It's the largest human institution atm, really the only thing connecting almost all nations at this time, so it can't afford to take sides. The UN has bigger fish to fry, there is a powerful vision there, and I think many people are oblivious to it. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

7 hours ago, TheAlchemist said:

impartiality to genocides and wars

Wasn't impartial in Korea though but ok I am understanding the point you are trying to make. 

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

Society is getting more and more sexualized, making people more primitive.

@Chosendeer Agreed. Another part to this equation, I think, is that we've had a great absence of conscious education on sex. Whether it's in spirituality, religion, or just in general, people are either suppressing this aspect of life or they swing in the other direction.