Rishabh R

OCD healing

4 posts in this topic

@Leo GuraCan meditation,contemplation ,exercise,listening to Binueral Beats (Seretonin releasing music),using semi psychedelic app lumenate heal my OCD better than compared to medication and therapy ?

This subject is very near and dear to my heart, but is also really difficult to give anyone direct advice on. My advice (not that you asked for it) is to check out Abraham Hicks. You can even search her and "OCD" in YouTube and come up with a lot of mind-blowing mind-opening perspectives. Also on the same vein, watch your overall resistance to and perspective of OCD, rather than needing to get rid of it, become curious about it. The compulsion part is often caused by having no curiosity or willingness to sit with and examine what is happening, but to rid oneself of the thought and discomfort as quickly as possible. Cure-iosity is the cure. 

Meditation, contemplation, etc when done with curiosity and not compulsion are very helpful, if you're bringing compulsion in and practicing more compulsion (THIS I must do to heal me) without the objective to just curiously watch those thoughts, I'd say don't bother. 

Edited by mandyjw

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Hi. I have/had ocd and I managed to let it behind/transcend it. It's always in the corner luring around so gotta be careful, but I definitely made big process so I can share how I did it. It started a few years ago in a period of a lot of stress in combination with the lessening of the self through spiritual progress and the existential fear that it gave. Because I didn't feel that much ego to cling to anymore, I made up ocd to cling myself to that, because I was used to that my whole life. Atleast I could focus on something ego-wise. In my worst phases, I couldn't resist them at all and I had to stop whatever I was doing to fulfill that 'need'. I built the ocd step by step, by giving in to the compulsion, it grew a path in my brain and the more I walked that path, the easier and quicker I was going to walk on it again. So what I did what trying to consciously not give in to that path and be patient. And it was very very hard but the more I did it, more easy it was to resist walking on that path until it faded away. I did that with every different compulsion that I had. What also helped for me is that I made a big trip across south america for 3 months, which was a totally new environment so my brain was making new patterns/paths anyway. This helped me to not fall into the same trap. But I had many setbacks, that I fell back into the ocd. I see it as a training to learn mindfulness and letting go. I also think that the ego becomes bigger the more it loses control.

My ocd became worse the more stress I had. So I also took a break from most stressful things to really work on myself.

So simply: train yourself to become more mindful/conscious and walk the path less and less until you don't feel the need to walk it anymore. Also try to understand what the deeper reason for your ocd is... are you running away from something, are you finding any comfort in doing it, does it help you escape the real world for a second? The more you are going to resist to walk it, the sooner the path will fade away. If you are in a hurry, try to force yourself to do the thing that your ocd is afraid of the most. As soon as your brain realizes it can withstand such a big compulsion, it's going to be easier to withstand the smaller compulsions.

Last tip: mindfulness is a big part of healing it, I think. You get the compulsion, you see it for what it is, you feel the discomfort of not doing the compulsion until it moves on. Over and over and over and over again... until you grow that muscle and it becomes easier and easier. It sort of forces you to become mindful/conscious.

Good luck! :)

Edited by Sonny

What will heal your OCD is stopping doing Compulsions. That is the bottom line. You must stop engaging with your mind and trying to get reassurance and certainty. Yes it will be hell for a little while but if you're suffering from OCD your life is already a living hell that i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. OCD is one of the worst things that can happen to someone.

I know from personal experience. Because i have sufferred and recovered from this terrible terrible condition. 

Psychedelics could help you see some dysfunctional patterns and loops that you are getting stuck on.  But from my personal experience what has helped the most is learning to live with uncertainty, CBT and watching helpful resources like these from people who have actually suffered from OCD themselves and recovered.

Meditation can help you stop reacting to thoughts also which is always a good practice.

Watching and acting on this information over the last 2 years has completely transformed my life for the better. Everyday i used to suffer enormously from anxiety and uncertainty.

Nowadays almost every day is a good day for me. I feel blessed.

Edited by SQAAD