rush

Corporate Career V Life Purpose

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

For those of you in a corporate job, what is this like ? Is it possible for your passion to be to climb the corporate ladder until your in a high position such as manager/director ? this seems like the road that most university student's go down but as I have no experience of this path yet, I won't know if it is trully fulfilling.

Any thoughts ?

@rush Working in a giant, heartless bureaucracy is likely to kill any passion you have. There's very little fulfillment to be had there. It's an inherently inhuman and unconscious system, by design.

Passion isn't about climbing anything, passion is about desire to create something. "Climbing" is a dysfunctional value. Probably something you picked up from our dysfunctional culture.

You don't really want to climb anything. You really just want to create whatever you're passionate about creating. So skip all the posturing and just go straight for creativity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 11/24/2016 at 3:44 AM, Leo Gura said:

@rush Working in a giant, heartless bureaucracy is likely to kill any passion you have. There's very little fulfillment to be had there. It's an inherently inhuman and unconscious system, by design.

Passion isn't about climbing anything, passion is about desire to create something. "Climbing" is a dysfunctional value. Probably something you picked up from our dysfunctional culture.

You don't really want to climb anything. You really just want to create whatever you're passionate about creating. So skip all the posturing and just go straight for creativity.

Leo, thank god I had this realization early on!!! I realize that the search for purpose has always been deeply inherent in me and I realize that I refuse to become just as miserable and be dragged into the stress of Corporate America! I've met people who have been damned to a life of misery. I refuse to be like Donald Trump and be "successful" on the surface and always pursuing success without realizing true fulfillment. I'm focusing on discovering true fulfillment and freedom is my highest priority! There's nothing wrong with pleasure or pursuing success but ask yourself 'do you genuinely want to have a position of power or are you under pressure from parents?" One of my core values is freedom and refusing to be blindly obedient. 

On 11/28/2016 at 6:17 AM, Snick said:

But Leo, Passion is a young man's game, older people gotta be wise! I'm 39 atm, I would love to continue with passion, but I better be wise, right!?

The quote btw "Passion is a young man's game, older people gotta be wise" is a Dylan quote! And Dylan is never wrong, is he? 

You ain't too wise if you're placing pragmatism and safety above passion ;)

If you're older, all the more reason to stop screwing around and get serious about your passion. You're gonna be dead soon!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On ‎24‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 9:44 AM, Leo Gura said:

Though if your passion is some science for example. You wont probably create any business. You might work in CERN which is in a way corporation though you need it if your passion is the expansion of the field of particle physics or whatever.

Also is this whole thing based on the fact that simply there is no way of everybody being in business which means that you will always have people working for these corporation and the owners who might follow their passion through it (can everybody have their own little creation)? I am in a high school and I find it interesting how everybody (teachers, students) are working the way so that some business will employ them, though nobody EVER talks about creating your own business.

When it rains, it pours like hell.
-Insomnium

My blog: dragallur.wordpress.com

37 minutes ago, Dragallur said:

Though if your passion is some science for example. You wont probably create any business. You might work in CERN which is in a way corporation though you need it if your passion is the expansion of the field of particle physics or whatever.

I do think accademia, particularly in natural sciences, is a little better then being a mid-level manager at coca-cola ;) (which would be the more common type of "corporate").  I am sure there are also companies which have a healthy mission you can be passionate about and value the people who work there, so that you can tap into your passion even in a company.

I personally am sticking with acccademia for now, though I am sure that with at least some more applicable science you can create your business. You can be self-employed and still do work for companies in your field for example, or you can run the development of some technology yourself. 

@rush I thought I followed my "passions" by getting a degree in a field of a long term interest, and then pursuing a job in that field. The problem I am facing now is not so much I am not in the field of choice or doing the work I thought was my life purpose, but not being able to have input in my work (ie, creating very standardized work products that have little to no individuality/thought), and not being able to keep expanding my skills/mastery in a corporate environment (ie, I don't have the freedom to offer another service to clients whenever I could or specialize in an area of interest). And it is the nature of most giant corporations with inflexible management systems, they are not made to be "individualistic". So now I think differently about the whole idea of going through school to get a job, some days it feels like a lot of time has gone to waste, but sometimes you learn these lessons the hard way by experiencing them, which is what got me here I think. It's never too late though to be creative and contribute in your own unique way! Don't give up.

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

@puporing @Leo Gura Having completed a work placement over a year, I understand what you mean. The management were pretty inflexible and didn't let me learn more about the things I was more interested in. The problem is I'm not sure if starting my own business is the only way to overcome this, are all corporate firms essentially the same ? If so, then why do so many people aspire to work for big banks and businesses

@rush I just got out of my past job into a government and nonprofit type organization. I think your work environment and the visions the organization has plays a big role! I'd say do lots of research into the organization before entering, or you know, keep looking for one that you could maximize alignment with your values or what would make it fulfilling. I think it just depends on what you want out of a job, a lot of people might see it as something that pays for bills or you know, status/prestige. 

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

@puporing Do you see a job as something that just pays the bills or some your meant to enjoy ? I guess I could easily go down the corporate career just for financial stability, but I doubt I would be that successful Working a job or in an organisation I don't really care that much for

On 11/28/2016 at 9:17 AM, Snick said:

But Leo, Passion is a young man's game, older people gotta be wise! I'm 39 atm, I would love to continue with passion, but I better be wise, right!?

The quote btw "Passion is a young man's game, older people gotta be wise" is a Dylan quote! And Dylan is never wrong, is he? 

I'm older than you and my days are filled with passion. Some total guesses - you haven't transcended eating & excercising yet.

?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE