integral

How to cure Myopia or prevent progression?

8 posts in this topic

Have a friend 13, developing with -7 eyes prescription, progressively getting worst with age each year. Googling brings up mostly standard western misconceptions about it (in my opinion).

Are there any insights into this that can help? Thanks!

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Some degree can (sometimes) be managed with good lifestyle and proper nutrition. Eyes can get damaged by free radicals just like anything else and uncontrolled blood sugar causes the accumulation of sorbitol around the neurons of the eye and kidneys because these are not protected by a myelin sheath. Not sure if this is an issue but if your friend is overweight, has some levels of blood sugar problems, poor nutrition (high fat, high saturates, high salt), poor sleep, all those factors could contribute and need to be fixed/ 

They may genetically have lower levels of protective antioxidants. 

Vitamin D does have some importance for eye health as well. 

Also, there are factors like eye rubbing, insufficient hydration, prolonged screen exposure, gaming, reading under poor light etc. 

But a degree of this is genetic. 

Not sure if any of this is relevant thou, maybe not. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Also, there are factors like eye rubbing, insufficient hydration, prolonged screen exposure, gaming, reading under poor light etc. 

From what I've heard it's not actually the activity itself that is bad (reading, gaming or etc.) but to focus on short distances for prolonged periods of time. Your eyes (and body) get good at what it's being used for. If 90% of the time you use them to look at a distance of 30 cm as a child, your eyes will develop to be optimal for that and then you might develop myopia.

It is recommended to take breaks when working on a screen for a long time and look at a distance. Look through a window or something but let your eyes focus on something far away for a little while, so they don't get too used to looking short.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5615392/

The risk of myopia is lowered by exposure to daylight and increased by activities performed at short visual distances (close-up work). A person with little exposure to daylight has a fivefold risk of developing myopia, which can rise as high as a 16-fold risk if that person also performs close-up work.

I wouldn't personally it's a matter of "sunlight" but rather being outside usually leads to looking farther as well. 

20 20 20 rule

Every 20 minutes remove your eyes from the screen and for 20 seconds focus on an object that is at least 20 meters away.

Our eyesight was made to look far far away to spot animals to hunt and enemies to kill.

@integral

Take a look at this videos, which can give you an understanding of hidden or lesser known mechanics of myopia:

But that's just the beginning, a partial piece of the puzzle. There is more. Check out this video:

Here the guy talks about a great insight (no pun intended) to the myopia problem. Really, I was amazed by the discovery.

Put all perspective together and you realize that myopia is very complex and nuanced, and with the right approach can be at least partially reversed.

For more info from the forum, check out these posts:

(you can also directly search on the forum for "miopia", "myopia", "eyesight", "vision", "eye", etc.)

Other resources:

https://www.seeing.org/techniques/ and this video:

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

@4201 Thanks for elaborating and sharing more insights, great comment!

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Thanks guys, we will try these methods and see if it helped in a few years or sooner... 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

I cured my myopia with ditching the glasses, start seeing more with the heart. Doing shambhavi mudra.

If your friend is 13, then the main reason for myopia is his circle, parents usually and that fear in wich the teen is growing. 

Singer

14™