Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wilhelm44

How does an awakened being experience decision making ?

8 posts in this topic

If the duality of subject and object is just an appearance, does it mean that at the deeper levels of reality choice and decision making don't actually exist ? Is everything simply happening automatically ? Any interesting perspectives on this topic would be most welcome.

@Wilhelm44 This is actually a free-will question, and to answer your question: Yes, you experience everything happening automatically. just like you don't decide at what rate your heart beats, you don't decide if you follow a thought with an act. Once you realise that, you'll think "oh shit I am not in control" automatically too, and it is kind of weird but really fulfilling.

Just an example: I think about making an example for your question - I say imagine you contemplate a choice between whether to hurt yourself or not - What makes the decision is the pain that comes up when hurting yourself. Or thoughts about the pain that will/can come up take the decision.
That's how a functional mind works, in always finds balance. A dysfunctional ego mind, would have more steps, but in the end it's the same process. WIthout an I, the process is just shorter, and you are aware of it happening on it's own.

Just play around with free will, inquiry into it, contemplate it. What decides? Do thoughts decide? What decides which thoughts to do. It's not a lot of work, and doesn't take a lot of time. It's also really curios to observe how everything works.

However I am not in that "state" right now, or at least I am not aware of everything happening on it's own, so it comes and goes unfortunately. The ego doesn't want to stay in that state forever, because it loses it's illusion of control.

If anyone know other ways to enter that state, feel free to give tips and practices :) 

@Wilhelm44  Yes, it happens automatically.  This is something you realize quite clearly upon developing a consistent level of mindfulness - no matter what you do or what you think, your awareness is always sitting back and watching it all play out.  Your own actions, behaviours, decisions etc become just another process which requires no effort - for example while writing this comment I watched myself think about the question, I watch my fingers type it out, I watch myself deliberate over the wording, I watch myself pause for a moment as my hand reaches over to scratch my shoulder.  A person who thinks this isn't the case and that they're truly in control of every thought and action simply hasn't developed a continuous state of awareness.

More consciousness=more free-will. 

Less consciousness=less free-will.

By raising the level of consciousness, you (as the field of awareness-looking) can notice more interconnections taking place. It appears as one is swimming in a larger pool of water and there are more streams that one can enter. In lower level of consciousness, you're immersed in a smaller pool, less streams are present, and consequently you have less access to reality. This access is direct, not just observational. The one who appears to observe is still a subject.

Everything is just happening or just "being". There is no other in comparison to this being so it always is what is is, but removing the "it" from that phrase. The irony is the idea of choice comes full circle. The less conscious your perceive to be, the more conscious you will be of your choices. The more conscious you become, the less conscious you become of choice because you surrender to the flow state of reality. Instead of establishing free will through awareness it's more as if we "free our will" or establish liberation from the cycle of perceived choices and live in a permanent state of contentment or "being"ness.