Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChimpBrain

I Want To Start A Business To Help The Environment In Some Way

8 posts in this topic

First some Cliff's Notes on me - I'm 35, married, have a kid, live in Texas, and am self employed making around $100k a year but my job is just a job, not something I give a damn about. My wife also has a decent job making around $50k a year so financially we're doing ok, yet neither of us are happy because we spend 80% of our waking hours working jobs we don't enjoy which provide no sense of fulfillment.

SO, I know the two things I actually do care about are health/fitness and the environment, and I'd like to start slowly working my way into some kind of business where my working hours would be spent helping the reduce human impact on the environment in some way. Thing is, I don't have the first clue as to what that would be. I've looked around online and found some ideas but frankly most of them look like things you can't actually make any money doing, i.e. "start an organic garden, become a worm farmer, re-purpose old furniture, etc". I did see a few that looked like something that could be built into an actual business like solar panel installation or becoming a "green consultant" where you go into people's homes and help them find all the ways they could be more energy efficient. On one hand I live in a good area for this kind of thing because Texas is far behind a lot of the country and Europe when it comes to being "green", but at the same time there's a reason for that, people here just don't care that much. Hell half of the population are straight up climate change deniers. 

Anyway, I'm getting off track here, what I wanted to ask is if any of you who live in areas where people are more environmentally conscious have seen a cool "green" business idea that might find a demand in a market like this? Or even if you know of any popular green forums I could join to learn more and possibly stumble upon an idea that way? I feel pretty confident that there's room for the growth of green businesses in my area, I just don't know where to start, and it needs to be something that actually creates income lol

Thanks for any advice :)

Well, the ultimate green move would be nuclear fusion, and you'd make a lot of money, but...

The death of the corporate world would work too. You could teach people how to make money doing good in the world. But...

Maybe figure out your life purpose first. You'll definitely find business ideas after that.

It seems like caring about the environment is important for you. But will following a green business which might bring you money be the one thing?

I'd say figure your zone of genius and passion out first. Then try to combine your zone of genius with your impact statement (environment) in some way.

Try different things out although you might not earn a lot of money with it. Passion should be the number one priority.

@ChimpBrain follow forums, non profits, surround yourself with likeminded folks, spend time alone or at a retreat until your vision comes through you. 

The main hallmarks of purpose are passion, and skill in that field...the fact that you are still searching, doesn't mean you won't find your niche, and be talented in this endeavour...I understand that it's a risk to give up your comfy incomes...that said, I think approaching this from a different angle will help...instead of worrying about "what is a good idea", try this trick...I think it comes from Leo...make 2 lists, one of everything you love to do (especially real passions, like protecting nature)...and another list with everything you are good at...then find the top passion and try to match it with your talents, all while keeping "green" in mind...the best green business idea is one that doesn't exist yet, one that is created by, and meant for, you!

@ChimpBrain You're on the right track, but your thinking it still too small, and you lack deep research.

Study the hell out of this field. There's so much potential here. But you're gonna have to do research.

And remember to think BIG. Ask big questions like, "What does humanity need in this field?"

Worm gardening? Is that really important?

Or maybe humanity needs environmental education and awareness? Or an organization that promotes these concepts? Etc.

Don't think of this issue as, "How can I make a living doing something Earth-friendly?" No! That's too selfish and small. Instead think of the issue as, "How can I transform how humanity relates to the Earth?" Now that would be you thinking in terms of providing VALUE to the world. And then it would only be a matter of research to discover what that WAY should be.

Do research by reading dozens of books, studies, and magazines on this topic. Go to some seminars/conferences/expos. Go meet people who work in this industry. Find out where the opportunities are and why people are so unconscious when it comes the environment. Then you'll have tons of ideas for how to solve these real-world problems.

A life purpose must be grounded in helping people overcome real-world challenges. That's what generates both IMPACT and MONEY. To create a career, you need to find a way to meaningfully impact others in practical ways. Then they will gladly pay you for it.

What transformation do you want to see in terms of humans and environment? What change would be immensely valuable?

Maybe it's saving the polar bears.

Maybe it's getting people to stop littering.

Maybe it's raising awareness about the threat of global warming.

Maybe it's planting new rainforests.

Maybe it's developing a new type of solar panel.

Etc.

Now find YOUR thing! The thing YOU'D really be passionate about.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@ChimpBrain You're on the right track, but your thinking it still too small, and you lack deep research.

Study the hell out of this field. There's so much potential here. But you're gonna have to do research.

And remember to think BIG. Ask big questions like, "What does humanity need in this field?"

Worm gardening? Is that really important?

Or maybe humanity needs environmental education and awareness? Or an organization that promotes these concepts? Etc.

You're right, I lack research and there is a ton of potential here. Awareness is the first thing that came to mind for me too. Thing is, there are tons of websites, organizations and educators promoting environmental awareness. The problem is you have the opposing force promoting their agenda of profit at all costs just as successfully.

Don't think of this issue as, "How can I make a living doing something Earth-friendly?" No! That's too selfish and small. Instead think of the issue as, "How can I transform how humanity relates to the Earth?" Now that would be you thinking in terms of providing VALUE to the world. And then it would only be a matter of research to discover what that WAY should be.

You're right, that's a very useful reframing. Thank you.

Do research by reading dozens of books, studies, and magazines on this topic. Go to some seminars/conferences/expos. Go meet people who work in this industry. Find out where the opportunities are and why people are so unconscious when it comes the environment. Then you'll have tons of ideas for how to solve these real-world problems.

I've joined some forums. I'm a big fan of audiobooks so I'll try to bathe my consciousness in everything environmental for a while in the hopes of stumbling upon something that seems promising. I realize after reading your post that I'm probably going to have to cut down on the 60+ hours a week I spend at my regular job if I want this whole thing to pan out.

A life purpose must be grounded in helping people overcome real-world challenges. That's what generates both IMPACT and MONEY. To create a career, you need to find a way to meaningfully impact others in practical ways. Then they will gladly pay you for it.

What transformation do you want to see in terms of humans and environment? What change would be immensely valuable?

Maybe it's saving the polar bears.

Maybe it's getting people to stop littering.

Maybe it's raising awareness about the threat of global warming.

Maybe it's planting new rainforests.

Maybe it's developing a new type of solar panel.

Etc.

Now find YOUR thing! The thing YOU'D really be passionate about.

Thanks for your advice Leo. I've got some thinking and researching to do!