Someone here

Relative and absolute truths

9 posts in this topic

to extract a truth from a theory or from your thoughts - is difficult - one that stands up to everybody and everything. How far does "we feel sensation of pain" go as a universal truth for people. Animals and insects also react to pain. 

Well if you feel pain, then the truth would be that you (as an individual) is feeling pain.

I believe that there are deep underlying truths, that are dictated by some inherent logical reasoning, like 1+1=2.
From these basic truths, everything builds up into more abstract truths, that still are true, but are occasionally diluted with things that aren't necessarily true.

I think some people (reasonable people) are the better at picking up these inherent truths than other relatively ignorant people. And these reasonable people can derive truth much easier than the ignorant minds.

If the truth changes, or varies, it was never the truth to begin with.
Merely opinion or an Incomplete Perspective.

Even something like 1+1=2.. Is a relative truth.   Reality is a slippery slope indeed. And assumptions are just that. It seems unlikely that the first math equation we are taught, 1 + 1 = 2, is only correct under a specific set of assumptions that are easily proven false.

I believe everyone reading this can agree that all points in the Universe are unique, that is, each occupies a space that is subject to unique forces. Therefore, each object, no matter how similar it may appear to another, is not similar.

Therefore, how can "2" of anything exist?

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

It seems that simply, if a truth can be known, then it’s a relative truth. Absolute truth is simply unbelievable until it’s undeniable.

@The0Self absolute truth is paradoxical. It's both "unknowable" as you call it and all that is known as well :)

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

one is truth, two is concept, you can't see two, mind just tells you that you can ... zero and infinity are both truth but these take a certain level of awakening

Low quality responses :D

-Osho

Subjective truths are important IMO. I don't really care to purposefully use Absolutist terminology to describe things... The Absolute is nothingness anyway so describing anything in those terms is futile.

You may as well consider yourself to be the brain because relatively speaking that is how it is. There is no conflict between this and non-duality, none whatsoever.

Leo's best video IMO is where he said God is looking through your eyes. That hits home for me. What is seeing through my eyes and experiencing my brain is God. However, if I mentally reduced myself to God I'd be nothing (because God is nothing), so what is the point of that?

While in a localized form, relative truths are all that matter unless you want to use Absolute truths to psychologically help you in some way. They're not actually really helpful lol, apart from when it comes to the "big questions" and dead loved ones etc.

On 09/06/2021 at 5:17 AM, Someone here said:

Man you've so hit the nail on the head.

All truth is pure faith, how can you ever know if a truth is going to vary in future? If you did, then you would know it wasn't truth.

All stories and explanations are false.

Only absolute truth exists.

That's why it's absolute.

Look around, that's absolutely true ?

On 09/06/2021 at 5:17 AM, Someone here said:

Merely opinion or an Incomplete Perspective.

does now change

can infinity be put into a finite number of fixed subsets

i suggest these questions have different answers ...