Anlib

Psycologically Healthy Without Sex?

14 posts in this topic

You can be psychologically healthy without having sex.

Experiencing lust  without having an orgasm or sex does not exclude a healthy state of mind.

The problem lies in taking these sensations too seriously, which by no doubt can happen very easily but it is also possible to see the sensations for what they are and to not get attached with them.

Edited by Ape

20 minutes ago, John Flores said:

And even if "you" are enlightned. It doesn't mean that person can't experience thoughts and urges at times. My guess is that he/she is just more detached to the sensation than most and in a state of acceptance, but the body can still feel lust...that's life

An enlightened person feels everything, all moods, emotions, thoughts, experiences just like a normal person.  The difference is pure awareness is no longer confused about who it is, so does not claim these experiences or feels any need to obey them.  There is no acceptance either, acceptance is for doers with karmic accounts to be dealt with.  An enlightened persons karmic account is permanently closed.

2 hours ago, Anlib said:

Is it possible? 

Yes, but not in the way that you imagine.

The craving has to be spiritually purified rather than suppressed.

Also notice that being a horny dog isn't too psychologically healthy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 hours ago, Anlib said:

Is it possible? 

Not impossible. It happens in ordinary life also. You can see a great painter: he forgets women completely. When he is painting there is no sex in his mind,because the whole energy is moving. You don’t have any extra energy. A great poet, a great singer, a dancer who is moving totally in his commitment, automatically becomes celibate. He has no discipline for it.

Sex is the absence of meditation. If the lamp of meditation is lit, sex is gone.  

People who try to control themselves have chosen a very foolish way. Control will not happen, but they will become cold. That is the only way a man can control himself — to become frozen so that energy does not arise. People who take the vows of celibacy will not eat much; in fact, they will starve their bodies. If more energy is created in the body, then there will be more sex energy, and then they don’t know what to do with it. Sex is superfluous energy; sex is a safety valve.

As meditation ripens, celibacy comes to fruit by itself. All effort is to be put into meditation. Real awareness always leads you beyond sex, and celibacy happens on its own accord. 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, but not in the way that you imagine.

The craving has to be spiritually purified rather than suppressed.

Also notice that being a horny dog isn't too psychologically healthy.

What steps does one take to spiritually purify his sexual desires? Is it something broad like meditation. Or something specific like questioning believes and culture etc?

Edited by Huz

@Leo Gura no but how about faping, if I do that 4 times a week, is that ok? I mean even if i would have sex every day I would probably crave it more than if I just jerked of every second day? 

I'm going to try my best to explain it - not so easy to explain. I don't believe it matters what "habit" or "compulsive" behaviour it is - be it sex or not. Most of us will go through some kind of compulsion at some point. I think we just need to be aware of it and do something else more important to us. We don't really need it. We are already whole.

Edited by Key Elements

1 hour ago, Anlib said:

@Leo Gura no but how about faping, if I do that 4 times a week, is that ok? I mean even if i would have sex every day I would probably crave it more than if I just jerked of every second day? 

If your goal is freedom and a quiet mind, you can just observe the tendency and if you don't act on it, it will pass. This is spiritual purification, after a short while your mind will be very clear and still and your energy will be nice and attentive, present. It's in those moments you know that you never needed it, because desire is just the inability to see that you're already free.

2 hours ago, NTOgen said:

Could you maybe say a bit more about that? What is the karmic account, what does it mean to say it's closed, and how or when does that happen?

Thanks

In a nutshell from the perspective of the Self there is no karma, nothing is happening, nothing ever happened and nothing ever will happen. The self in this instance is already enlightened. But the self would not be limitless if it did not have the power to create, so this is where Maya comes in. The self in conjunction with maya creates experience. So the self pretends to lose itself in its dream, becomes identified with a particular experiencing entity and goes off on a journey mesmerised by the objects appearing which it thinks are there to complete it.  Once the self understands it's true identity it also understands that nothing ever happened therefore nothing ever happened to modify or change it.  Thus the vasanas that brought that "person" into existence to play out the collective drama of the total are rendered non binding for the rest of the lifetime, and burn up at the end of the life.  Those particular sets of vasanas don't manifest again (reincarnate).  But it doesn't really matter what happens after the apparent death of the apparent person, all that matters is the person in its lifetime now lives free, unbound by the suffering created by the binding vasanas and conditioning of the experiential subtle body (Gunas). Freedom from the person and also freedom for the person. 

Basically without putting too fine a point on it

23 minutes ago, NTOgen said:

Then do I understand correctly that by karmic account you mean the vasanas?

The things that cause action, extroversion, the self deluded by the appearance of objects are the vasanas and the Gunas conditioning the subtle body.  "I am incomplete, in pain, and I need to change this situation" is karma. Once that is all see through then karma is finished because there is nothing to get, the objects are not real nor can they give you anything because you already have it.