soos_mite_ah

Is this really my ideal medium?

8 posts in this topic

I've been writing for a while and pretty consistently. It's very easy for me to get into the flow state and it rarely feels like work. But I can't say that I think writing is something I see as special, magical and fascinating. Writing isn't on a pedestal for me. It's something that feels natural yet, it is still enjoyable. I guess I'm familiar with the drudgery that can come with writing but it doesn't bother me because again, I enjoy it. 

Is this how it's supposed to be or should I try to find a better medium that I find more exciting? Am I settling if I go with writing? I'm also hesitant with the sentiment that I need to find something that is "more exciting" because, isn't it supposed to be the case that what ever you decide your life purpose is, that it isn't going to give constant highs? 

(*also side note, there is a part of me that doesn't want to consider writing as my medium because it feels too obvious, basic, and simply the easy way out of finding my actual medium)  

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

What are your other interests? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

What do you need/want to know this for?

How long have you been in this situation? (Doubting the medium.)

What’s there for you to feel now?

5 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

(*also side note, there is a part of me that doesn't want to consider writing as my medium because it feels too obvious, basic, and simply the easy way out of finding my actual medium)  

Go deeper, beyond the image of “writing” you have. Investigate.

Judgement and thought taking place of curious open observation of what is. What are you really doing while “writing”?

_

What would you do out of a state of acceptance?

5 hours ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Is this how it's supposed to be or should I try to find a better medium that I find more exciting? Am I settling if I go with writing? I'm also hesitant with the sentiment that I need to find something that is "more exciting" because, isn't it supposed to be the case that what ever you decide your life purpose is, that it isn't going to give constant highs? 

Idk. Why not explore some more? More exciting isn’t (always) the same as constant highs. And maybe it gives you constant highs in the beginning for a while and then fluctuates... or not.

Possibility: redefine the medium and take a spin on it. You don’t have to pick predefined mediums — have your own definition of / perspective on / niche on “writing” (e.g. pen and paper, articles, short stories, ... — the concept of holons applies to mediums.) 

Lastly: does this stop you? How would this stop your life purpose / action aligned with and towards that direction?

(I’m partly posting this reply though I doubt it’s useful or accurate because it took a while typing it and it’s an ol’ INFJ habit to then delete it... Mustn’t be perfect. Hope it puts you on some tangent or reflection to get an insight yourself. ?)

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

19 hours ago, Preety_India said:

What are your other interests? 

By that I guess you're asking what other mediums are on the table? Well.. I enjoy talking to people, giving advice, creating art whether it's in the form of digital art or paintings (though I haven't done that in a while). I also enjoy analyzing different things in society and human behavior in general. 

14 hours ago, peqkno said:

What do you need/want to know this for?

To have more clues about what my life purpose is and how I should design it in a way that lets me pursue it. 

How long have you been in this situation? (Doubting the medium.)

I've been doubting for the last couple months. 

What are you really doing while “writing”?

I'm analyzing human behaviors and the way the relate to societal systems and social issues. It can be in the form of reflecting where I analyze my own life by journaling. It can be in the form of analyzing the behaviors of others where I write about my observations and interpretations. Or sometimes I'm simply in my own world dealing with different perspectives. 

Idk. Why not explore some more? More exciting isn’t (always) the same as constant highs. And maybe it gives you constant highs in the beginning for a while and then fluctuates... or not.

Possibility: redefine the medium and take a spin on it. You don’t have to pick predefined mediums — have your own definition of / perspective on / niche on “writing” (e.g. pen and paper, articles, short stories, ... — the concept of holons applies to mediums.) 

I'm open to exploring different mediums and while writing is fulfilling for me, there is a part of me that is afraid that I'm just going with a predefined option if that makes sense. I do have my own style of writing and I'm sure if I work at it more I can find a niche. And I'm willing to have that type of patience. 

Lastly: does this stop you? How would this stop your life purpose / action aligned with and towards that direction?

I don't think this is stopping my life purpose but that's because I have a vague idea of what my life purpose is. I think writing is aligned with that direction but I'm still lost at finding the most effective way to get to my life purpose. Consider this as me asking for directions or some concilation of whether or not I'm headed in the right direction lol :D 

@soos_mite_ah Imagine you see a beautiful flower.. and you wanted it so bad.. yet you cannot pick it.. cause you cannot pick it. Then you put out a camera, then take a picture instead. Other people use pen and paper to capture it.. others use words to capture it.. others express it's beauty as a piece of music.. other make art through.. just to remember it. That's the "medium". You pick which fits for you.

But the bigger question is... what is something that you find fascinating and that you want to "capture" it so bad??

Someone with writing as their ideal medium weighing in here.

Yes, it's really your ideal medium.

Don't think of the writing as your life purpose itself. It's just a tool that allows you to most effectively communicate and actualize your life purpose.

Your life purpose is what you write about

An analogy... Your life purpose might be building birdhouses. Using a hammer is your ideal medium to accomplish it. That doesn't make the hammer itself your life purpose. It's just a tool. Who the fuck is excited about hammers? Don't focus too hard on the tool, don't start making hammers. Just use it.

Disclaimer: There are people who fetishize writing itself and make that their life purpose. See people with entire Youtube channels devoted to the writing process. Just like there are probably people whose life purpose is constructing the perfect hammer. But that doesn't sound like it's you. So don't get distracted by writing as a purpose instead of a tool. That would be the equivalent of spending hundreds of hours trying to figure out what the ideal hammer to buy is.

Edited by Yarco

On 6/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Yarco said:

Your life purpose is what you write about

On 6/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, skipper said:

Imagine you see a beautiful flower.. and you wanted it so bad.. yet you cannot pick it.. cause you cannot pick it. Then you put out a camera, then take a picture instead. Other people use pen and paper to capture it.. others use words to capture it.. others express it's beauty as a piece of music.. other make art through.. just to remember it. That's the "medium". You pick which fits for you.

But the bigger question is... what is something that you find fascinating and that you want to "capture" it so bad??

That makes much more sense thank you. I do have a general idea of what I would like to explore more of in my writing. 

On 6/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, Yarco said:

There are people who fetishize writing itself and make that their life purpose. See people with entire Youtube channels devoted to the writing process. Just like there are probably people whose life purpose is constructing the perfect hammer. But that doesn't sound like it's you. So don't get distracted by writing as a purpose instead of a tool. That would be the equivalent of spending hundreds of hours trying to figure out what the ideal hammer to buy is.

I know a lot of people like this and for the longest time I thought that I wasn't into writing or that I wasn't good at it because I wasn't going about writing in the same way or in a similar style. 

On 5/31/2021 at 9:09 PM, soos_mite_ah said:

Isn't it supposed to be the case that what ever you decide your life purpose is, that it isn't going to give constant highs? 

You will be excited about it as a whole.

In the day to day there will be struggles, but there will be a continual excitement underneath. 

"You Create Magic"