Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UNZARI

Would getting into NFTs as an artist be dumb?

6 posts in this topic

i am a 3d artist with a deep passion. I have a friend who’s trying to get me into NFTs. I see it as a silly trend that will pass. All you see are just people coming out of the woodworks desperately making digital art that is low quality and bland and/or just copying Beeple. My question is just: would any of it be worth getting into? 

I’ve heard of some artists doing very well with NFTs. Maybe it’s temporary hype, but that still has been a quick and easy dollar for those wishing to capitalize on such situations. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Why would it be dumb? It's worth a try.

I don't think its a silly trend that will pass, I think its the future of collectibles, the future is digital.

Sure the hype around it right now is probably dying out, but NFTs are here to stay. Just like crypto, hype gains momentum, dies out, hype comes back, on repeat.

But just because the initial hype dies out doesn't mean NFTs are done forever and will disappear off the planet like it never existed. There's tons of NFT projects that are being worked on right now as we speak. Initial hype with anything always dies out, but as the project or technology for whatever it is continues to develop, then users start coming back and start to stick around for it.

To say NFTs is a silly trend that will pass is like saying Youtube in 2005 is a silly trend that will pass. "A platform for individuals to upload their own videos? Pshh, silly trend." Nope, you see how huge Youtube became. All you needed to do is wait for some time to pass, allow the platform to grow then the users start pouring in.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

@7thLetter that’s cool to hear man, I didn’t mean to come off as totally dismissive, just skeptical. I hope to learn more and maybe try it for myself, thanks for the perspective 

I don't know a ton about it. Except I think it costs an average of like $200 to mint your artwork as an NFT and list it on OpenSea.

If you are confident that your artwork is good enough someone will pay $200 for it, go for it. If you're not sure, you may lose money.

Doesn't hurt to just create one or two I guess and see how they do. Although I think a big part of what makes NFTs successful is that there's a big series... like cryptopunks, bored ape yacht club, etc. Part of what gives credibility to a project is that an artist is willing to create like 100 NFTs, not just 1 or 2 to make a quick buck.