BlackMaze

What is the best way to breathe for maximum vitality?

9 posts in this topic

I still don't know how i should breathe. I heard about belly breathing but i don't understand it fully. For example i was reading the way of the superior man where it was stated that the way to breathe is to breath all the way down to the genitals filling with air all the way up to the chest and while exhaling imagine the energy flowing through the spine to the head. 

In another book i read (i forgot the title something about personal magnetism) i remember reading that the way to breathe for maximum energy is to learn to replicate the recovery breath after crying for example the kind of breath that releases emotions. I practiced this a bit in the past and i could breathe this way. 

Then in another book i remember reading about an exercise that you imagine inhaling from the bones of your fingers. Everytime i do this a wave of energy flows to the body which is crazy. 

Another practice i read about is to completely let go of controlling the breath in any way and let it find its rhythm naturally. 

Breath is fascinating but i still don't know what is the optimal breath. Is it breathing from the belly? What does that even mean exactly? Is it taking the deepest breaths possible? Please let's agree on the best way possible to breathe because i wasn't very satisfied with my forum search. Maybe there is already a good post about this in here but i didn't find it. 

When you are relaxed you will naturally breath more slowly and deeply resulting in enhanced activation of the parasympathetic nervous system. You can try to alter your breathing to hack the nervous system to be calmer, but I prefer mindfulness work, or open focus attention such as described in the book "The Open Focus Brain" which is really just a variation of mindfulness where you are taught to focus your attention in an immersive, diffused way that helps the brainwaves go into a synchronized alpha state, thus relaxing your body, deepening your breathing, and activating your parasympathetic. This will give more long term results that are more beneficial if done consistently than trying to change breathing alone. I pretty much don't use any sort of breathing techniques at all.... it's all being and consciousness techniques for me.

Edited by sholomar

@BlackMaze hey maze, nice post. Breath is life. When breath ends, life ends.

First step is to switch to nose breathing and stop mouth breathing.

Some people may have trouble switching to nose only breathing but with conscious practice it can be done.

Start by being still. Sit and nose breath only. Then breath nose only while moving.

Nose breathing will naturally go to the optimal depth for your body.

Then if you want to get into more advanced breath work yoga has a ton of different techniques.

Edited by TreyMoney

@BlackMaze  First off, this is a very intelligent question. So kudos.

There are a few great books I highly recommend if youre down for it.

The short answers is: SLOW and little.   (Most people will say more is better because more oxygen!!111 but this is wrong)
And through the nose. 

Conscious breathing is a lifechanging skill if you take it seriously

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@sholomar i'll make sure to read the open focus brain book. Thank you for your answer 

@TreyMoney i already breathe from my nose only. I don't feel that is deep enough and that i should learn the proper way to breath and practice it until it becomes natural 

@Edaryion thank you for the detailed answer but i still have some questions. How deep into the belly should i breathe? All the way down to the genitals? Is it enough to just expand the belly? Shouldn't the expansion of the belly be followed by an expansion of solar plexus and chest? Should i visualize something to get the right feeling of proper breathing until it becomes natural? 

55 minutes ago, UDT said:

@BlackMaze

There are a few great books I highly recommend if youre down for it.

The short answers is: SLOW and little.   (Most people will say more is better because more oxygen!!111 but this is wrong)
And through the nose. 

Please do recommend some books! I can't keep ignoring this. I do understand the importance of proper breathing for a better life quality. 

Slow and little sounds controversial. Why is that the case? 

@BlackMaze put one hand on the chest, and one hand on the stomach. Now take a normal breath. Which expands first? Your stomach should expand first,, then your chest. This is diaphramic breathing. 

For best parasympathetic activation and increased hrv, breath rhythmically, meaning in and out in and out without pauses inbetween.

Now if you want to practice breathing exercises like intermittent hypoxia for health benefits you can look up wim Hoff method or soma breath (my personal preference)

@Ora thank you but is it even possible to make a breath pattern without any pauses habitual? Or is this just an exercise? Should i take deep breaths or is this not necessary? 

On 5/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, BlackMaze said:

@Ora thank you but is it even possible to make a breath pattern without any pauses habitual? Or is this just an exercise? Should i take deep breaths or is this not necessary? 

Some people tend to hold their breath when they are concentrating or anxious etc without realizing it and this has an effect on the nervous system. So if you can just breath in and out smoothly this will but you in a more parasympathetic (relaxed) state.

I think for daily breathing the main points are to use your nose only, breath with the diaphragm, and slower/longer breaths are best.

Edited by Ora

11 hours ago, Ora said:

Some people tend to hold their breath when they are concentrating or anxious etc without realizing it and this has an effect on the nervous system. So if you can just breath in and out smoothly this will but you in a more parasympathetic (relaxed) state.

I think for daily breathing the main points are to use your nose only, breath with the diaphragm, and slower/longer breaths are best.

This helps! Yes i do tend to hold my breath when thinking too much or do things.