Live Life Liam

Spiritual Movies (top Movies For Self Development & Enlightenment)

36 posts in this topic

I truly believe all forms of art are a brilliant way to awaken people and see life in completely new ways. Of course most people watch low quality films usually that don't actually improve them in anyway but for me personally watching films surprisingly actually began my path towards development & truth. 

Watching films like Cloud Atlas, Into the Wild, Her, Donnie Darko, Mr Nobody, American Beauty, Waking Life, The Double, The Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of a spotless mind, 2001: a space Odyssey and more have completely shaped my view on reality, opened my mind and made me see that there is more to life than meets the eye and also helped me become more conscious in my actions so what I'm saying here is although most entertainment is counterproductive for development there are a few exceptions. Art can be a great thing even fiction sometimes.

I'd like to know your favourite movies that changed your life in a certain way and why? 

Edited by Live Life Liam

Preach!

For me, it's not so much the films themselves as it is my experience of them. I think I've always been chasing the experience of movies that I had as a kid. When you're that age, there's this sense of wonder and mystery that seemed to bring everything to life. The closest I've come to achieving that is watching movies in altered states (most notably for me being Bladerunner

If you haven't seen them already, I can recommend checking out The Man from Earth, My Dinner with Andre and the philosophical commentary that Ken Wilber and Cornell West did for the Matrix trilogy.

Fearless with Jeff Bridges!!

From Wikipedia:

"As the plane descends, Max inexplicably becomes at peace when he accepts he is going to die. The revelation inspires him to comfort many of the fearful passengers, even moving to sit next to Byron Hummel (Daniel Cerny), a young boy flying alone. The psychological traumaof the experience transforms his personality and he enters an altered state of consciousness, rethinking his life and becoming preoccupied with the eternal meanings and the existential questions of life and death itself. Max's reaction to this awakening itself questions the reality of what is real and unreal and what his mind perceives as real through his interaction with others and the chance of living again in everyday life."

"Le Grand Bleu"

Not very popular movie but I am telling you this is something beautiful. It is not so much waw movie, but man it is about enlightenment in a way. It is about reaching everything and nothingness. Two divers going deep in the see. I thing it is based on true facts. When people are deep in the water they experience this no-gravity feeling and it is like merging with everything like floating in space and feels so good to them, they want to go 'home' to oneness. Ending is fantastic. Really recommend this one :) . Wonderful movie! 

2 hours ago, Dawson said:

Preach!

For me, it's not so much the films themselves as it is my experience of them. I think I've always been chasing the experience of movies that I had as a kid. When you're that age, there's this sense of wonder and mystery that seemed to bring everything to life. The closest I've come to achieving that is watching movies in altered states (most notably for me being Bladerunner

If you haven't seen them already, I can recommend checking out The Man from Earth, My Dinner with Andre and the philosophical commentary that Ken Wilber and Cornell West did for the Matrix trilogy.

Blade runner was a recent one I saw and I love that it's such an ambiguous movie left me with so many questions afterwards. I heard they are making a sequel and hope that's just a well done. 

@Dawson I haven't seen those films but looking forward to watching them. I'm always up for great films to watch that help you see life in a different way. I'll check them out they both seem interested. I've heard about the "man from earth" before but not "my dinner with Andre". I've seen the matrix films and they definitely were great for a lot of people awakening but the commentary is something I will look into.

@Fearless@Joel3102 this film sounds absolutely awesome. Can't wait to check it out. Reminds me of a few other films I've seen. 

@Vytas le grand blue  is one I haven't heard of but will check out too. Sounds very strange but fascinating which is my kind of thing. I'm so glad there are more films about enlightenment and truth then the ones I listed. Will check out.

If you have an other films on your mind please mention. I think these types of movies should be embraced so the more they get spread the better. It's definitely hard to make a good film never mind a truly life changing on so I'm grateful for them.

"The Zero Theorem" by Terry Gilliam
It has themes of realizing that life has no meaning. I hope others enjoy it too.

-The Tree of Life

-Melancholia

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

* I haven't seen these yet but they seem to reach into the deep questions of self.
Has anybody seen these yet? If so, what did you think?

15 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I saw this.  Nothing special.  It was a bit boring actually.  Jim Carrey (nuff said?):|

Preferred Saturday Night Fever

Edited by GTITurbolover

@cetus56 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I've seen it, nothing special as said before, but I LOVED that movie! haha :D Idk maybe it was because it resonated with me, as the character is somewhat similar to my personality. And the story is cool, especially the ending like inception, as everything is put in place. But not the greatest movie, just good :) . What I could recommend is Forrest Gump, I know u prob have watched it but still, watch again and pay attention how Forrest is acting purely from intuition, when he thinks its time to run he runs! And runs without worries or anxiety just runs. An overall I feel like he is without much crappy baggage, like it feels he just flows with what universe gives him without ANY resistance. Great movie. Recommend to all of you

1 hour ago, Snick said:

American Beauty, written by Alan Ball, is a masterpiece and this scen is amazingly beautiful! 

Alan ball also wrote the tv serie drama "Six feet under" The ending scen shows how every character eventually dies, amazingly beautiful as well!

American beauty is a masterpiece. Completely agree with you! :)

1 hour ago, Vytas said:

@cetus56 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I've seen it, nothing special as said before, but I LOVED that movie! haha :D Idk maybe it was because it resonated with me, as the character is somewhat similar to my personality. And the story is cool, especially the ending like inception, as everything is put in place. But not the greatest movie, just good :) . What I could recommend is Forrest Gump, I know u prob have watched it but still, watch again and pay attention how Forrest is acting purely from intuition, when he thinks its time to run he runs! And runs without worries or anxiety just runs. An overall I feel like he is without much crappy baggage, like it feels he just flows with what universe gives him without ANY resistance. Great movie. Recommend to all of you

I litterly just watched forest gump again like two days ago with my girlfriend. Yes he just does without obsessing over future worries and is definitely a figure we can learn from.

Eternal Sunshine is a creative masterpiece and is so touching and important to watch. Yeah I get you completely. He was relatable. 

Inception is a great film but I know lots of people have seen it so no point mentioning. I think waking life is a better film to watch about dreams though since it's less mainstream so more in-depth.

On 05/11/2016 at 9:50 PM, Feeble Dave said:

"The Zero Theorem" by Terry Gilliam
It has themes of realizing that life has no meaning. I hope others enjoy it too.

Terry Gilliam is an amazing film maker so I will check it out sometime.

2 hours ago, GTITurbolover said:

@Live Life Liam Rocky IV

Great film

Not really my thing. Hahah I'm a little pretentious and love a film that fucks my mind up completely and opens it up to new ways of seeing life. Whilst "Rocky" is inspirational its a little too straight forward for me. We definitely probably have different tastes in movies as you don't like Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind which is my kind of movie. Seen "Predator" and although it isn't about what I mean by self development or enlightenment film I enjoyed it for what its worth. 

Edited by Live Life Liam

11 minutes ago, Ismo said:

The Fountain, one of my favorite movies.

Saw it a few months ago. It truly is something spectacular. It beautifully portrays enlightenment, overcoming the fear of death and our constant search for immortality. So unique. This film is from Darren Aronofsky if anyone didn't know and you should check it out.

Hey, Liam, this is a great topic!

I found the movie "Hector and the Search for Happiness" really moving, because Hector - the main character - travels around the world to search for happiness, while he finds out that the best source of happiness is not to be found outside himself, but inside :-)