EmptyInside

"Side hustle" and "Passive income" sucker traps

12 posts in this topic

The real side hustle is making videos about side hustles which create profit by referring suckers to useless websites that claim to pay users to complete surveys and watch videos. These sites pay a very tiny amount to watch videos and complete surveys. They pay a much higher amount for referring users. It's all about the referrals. I watched a video the other day that claimed to demonstrate how to make $4 per song by listening to songs. The video then goes into depth describing how to make a miniscule amount of money by pointing users to YouTube playlists via shortened URL referral links. It had absolutely zero to do with listening to songs. I've noticed a trend lately. The enticing lure of being seen as or even seeing ones self as a "side hustler". Is that what we call entrepreneurs now? Lol. The endless pursuit of those elusive and mysterious "passive income streams". Get rich quick schemes have been around forever but change the verbiage and create a few hip buzzwords and the sucker floodgates open up wide again. MLM schemes repackaged with shiny new NLP. Sometimes I dislike the inner-realist or inner-cynic in me but I don't like seeing people get their dreams crushed by people who know they're selling bs. Everyone wants to be a YouTuber because "that's what people are doing now" right? If it's being done as a form of creative expression or to help others or even to generate income or all of the above, more power to you, but it takes work and time and patience, and most importantly: meaningful content. I'm helping someone build up their YouTube channel and conflicted internally because I have to paint a more optimistic picture about the income potential than what I internally believe. Otherwise, I'm being a dream crusher too. Oh well, just a little rant. Carry on.

Edited by EmptyInside

"It can't be that lame, you know?" Terence McKenna

2 hours ago, EmptyInside said:

I'm helping someone build up their YouTube channel and conflicted internally because I have to paint a more optimistic picture about the income potential than what I internally believe. Otherwise, I'm being a dream crusher too. Oh well, just a little rant. Carry on.

Is the idea of your friend really so bad?

Not really. The videos are pretty good. She's passionate about doing them and I respect that. I see a lot of dishonesty out there and it just irritates me. The successful side hustle is doing videos about having a successful side hustle when actually the video about the side hustle is monetized and making more money than the actual side hustle being described in the video and then the rest is gained from referring suckers to these same useless sites that will generate no income for the viewer but more for the content creator who claims to be showing the viewer how to create a successful side hustle. That's the formula that they don't tell you but it's right there in your face. Watch my videos, jump through these hoops, thank you for making me more money while you struggle to figure out what surveys to spend an hour completing for 10 cents each. Meanwhile, someone like my friend who is making legit videos within a narrow niche hopes she can generate a sustainable income because it looks so easy and everybody's doing it.

Edited by EmptyInside
typo

Just a little healthy venting so I don't rain on her parade. And I'm just tired of hearing the overuse of the word "side hustle". People do realize that to be hustled is to be ripped off right?

Edited by EmptyInside

@EmptyInside

i thought the definition os hustling is to work towards something in a creative way even though the odds are against you (see How to Hustle and Win for reference (no scam book))

but sure, these scam videos are trash

Maybe I got hustled a few too many times by NLP and I'm just getting cynical. But yeah. a lot of trash videos out there by people with little integrity.

Edited by EmptyInside

Don’t forget the “passive income” of real estate. It’s not 100% passive unless you pay a management company for everything, but it is typically a really small amount of work for the money after the renovation/purchase process is over. Real estate has created the most millionaires in the U.S. The real “passive income” sources require either significant work or money or both to be invested at the beginning to then continue to grow over time. I’m 3 years into owning a rental property investment company, and I nearly make my entire investment back in income and equity growth each year already. The business model scales quite well and quickly if done right. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

On 13/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, supremeyingyang said:

@EmptyInside

i thought the definition os hustling is to work towards something in a creative way even though the odds are against you (see How to Hustle and Win for reference (no scam book))

Damn.. The title alone convinced me to buy the books and started reading. Some Rick Ross wisdom nice :D

Thanks for sharing. 

@BlackMaze

Nice! This Books are unique. One can really feel his anger between the lines. A book for reddish Youth (well, not only)

@Consept Yes!  This channel is making such good content!

I write pieces that make the reader think.

www.melodydanielluna.com