Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tatsumaru

Live alone on an island and be happy?

5 posts in this topic

Is it possible to live alone on an island or a planet without any human interaction whatsoever and be happy, fulfilled and attain enlightenment?

I know a lot of legendary Yogis basically did something like this by living most of their lives in some caves, although they still met some people from time to time.

Personally for me, even though I am an introvert and spend extremely little time with other people, I've not been able to transcend the need to exchange ideas with other people or to have friends. I am not saying that this is a goal of mine, but I am wondering if one was born on an island or if they were the first person on a new planet if they would be able to do it.

Buddha purportedly commented (Sambodhi Sutta), “If wanderers who are members of other sects should ask you, ‘What are the prerequisites for the development of the wings to self-awakening?’ you should answer, that admirable friends, admirable companions, admirable comrades, is the first prerequisite for the development of the wings to self-awakening.”

I know most people can't handle this psychologically and commit suicide or go mad, but some seem to be okay, like the people living in isolation in the forest with the bears or Henry Thoreau who became truth realized while living alone in a cabin in the woods. What's the trick here?

Edited by tatsumaru

I reckon you're right that this will only be possible for a very small number of people. You'd have to be very self-sufficient, unfazed by all the dangers of having no support system. Most of your effort would be on basic survival: shelter, food, defending against wild animals etc. If you're ill mentally or physically there's nobody to help. If that's happiness to anyone then massive respect from me! 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

attain enlightenment? Yes.

Be happy and fulfilled? No.

Underneath truth, you are still a human, needing of hugs and play.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:54 PM, tatsumaru said:

What's the trick here?

Without interaction there is less thought activity and more clarity. In that clarity it is clear the thought activity has nothing to do with the interactions. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I would say if you're extreme introverted and enlightened - almost certainly it's possible for you to be happy without any human interaction for years, potentially even decades

But there seems to me that interacting with other humans may have a unique effect on our brain/mind even independent from technically being happy. Without interacting with anyone for decades you may get dementia faster for example

I don't think there's ever been any extreme extrovert who intentionally has gone to live completely alone, no matter how enlightened, and neither there is any reason extroverts should do this even if his/her goal is achieving highest states because if you're truly an extrovert, social interactions don't drain you and shouldn't negatively affect practice at all.

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk