Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Armando Gutierrez

$77,000 in debt

9 posts in this topic

I graduated with a B.S in Computer Science in December.

It's been hard to find a job, especially since I don't have a passion for what I am doing.

I guess I just need some advice.

I have a passion for jazz saxophone and my life's work/purpose is teaching it to people online.

I am working minimum wage right now, and my loan payments are on pause due to Covid until September.

My question:

Should I work to get a software job and then make money with the sax on the side?

Or should I just get right into monetizing my music skills?

I want to jump in with my passion, but my $77,000 of debt scares me. I feel like I need to get a better paying software job to pay it off, but that requires extra skills that I don't really want to work on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tough call. It's not easy to get good earnings as a musician. On the other hand you have only one life. Your first mistake was to go 77K in debt for a degree that you consider not even using because your passion lies elsewhere. You probably studied CS because you thought that you wouldn't earn enough with jazz so I would keep with that initial thinking since you committed to it years ago. The most destructive thing you can do is to change path all the time. Work in CS and have Jazz as hobby, it can actually make a pretty good life as many people in CS are nerds so you'll stand out, you can make it work beautifully if you can juggle with those two lives. Also if you get really rich as in you build a successful startup then you can do like Paul Allen and retire from CS and become a musician.

Anyway those are just my two cents as I know nothing of you, you have to arrive at a decision within yourself.

Edited by Tetcher

This isn't what you want to hear but I think it would be wise to bite the bullet and try really hard to get a software job. You've already invested all that time and money into getting that degree. You might as well use it to accumulate the resources not just to pay off your debt, but ALSO save money to invest in your passions and hobbies like better music equipment and an online business.

It might not be as bad as you think, because it's a computer job you likely will get to work from home. You'll feel safer and more comfortable, and you won't have to deal with as much stress as being out in an office. It's not like it's going to suck any more than working a minimum job (which will put you at more COVID risk right now), so if you're going to be putting in 40 hours a week anyways you might as well get payed more, right?

As crucial as it is to follow your passion, it's equally as crucial to be strategic about things. I would suck it up and find the software job. Even if you don't like it, just put in the amount of energy and work that you need to keep your job and get paid, and don't break your back over it. Also carefully craft up a payment plan and management of your finances so that your debt isn't impacting your mind in a negative way.

Keep your music passion as a hobby so you actually enjoy it, and don't ruin it with the pressure of having to monetize it.

These are just my thoughts based on the information you gave me. You will ultimately decide what to do, just consider what I said.

Good luck @Armando Gutierrez!

hrhrhtewgfegege

Why not create software/app that helps people learn saxophone/music?

@TheSunKing  That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll consider that genuinely. Thank you.

@Tetcher That's true, the 77k was probably a mistake lol. And you're right. I did do CS because I was scared that music wasn't going to make money. I don't know if I can balance both lives because working in software/technology for 40 hours a week until I'm old sounds like a wasted life for me. But working in CS for now sounds like a good idea. Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to read my post and respond.

@Roy You make a lot of good points! Idk why I feel like it has to be one or the other. As long as I don't get stuck / comfortable working at the software job, then I can definitely use that money to pay off the debt and save for the business. I do see what you're saying about letting the money get in the way of the passion, but as long as I can keep playing and performing somehow, I'll be happy. Thanks so much for the input. That was great advice.

It is totally your decision 

If I was in this much debt though personally I would try to stomach getting a job in CS. It pays well and if you get a good job you can pay down that debt at a fairly decent pace. What are your salary prospects and skills? Can you land a decent CS job that pays 60k-100k? 77K could be payed off in 5 years, maybe a bit longer and then from there you can transition. I would try to use your degree tbh. It's a great degree and can open up more doors in the long run. I studied liberal arts and if I was wise back when I was younger I would of avoided university all together. My degree has hardly come into play in getting me work. Should of saved that money. 

Edited by Lyubov

You can have both, perhaps create a realistic saxophone VST plugin?

From there on you start creating lot's of plugins other for music production.

I have a friend called Maxime Solemn who has his own company and made his own bass and guitar VSTi's, not sure if it's alright to post a link to his YouTube or website here according to the forum rules, so I'd say to look him up if you want to see what you can do by combining these skills.

Edited by Hap E-Boi

Often overlooked causes of spiritual regression are exposure to free glutamate and EMF's. For me personally the REID program has helped me a lot, but everyone walks their own path and what has a profound impact for one person might be negligible for another.

Get a computer science job and spend 1 - 2 hours everyday working on a cash flow business. 

You could create a udemy course as your first real source of income.

Watch Alan Becker's YT Channel so you get your orange needs met. He's very good at what he does.

This is just one possible path, but if it was me, this is what I would do....

Work minimum job and apply to get a software job during the day.

Spend your evenings and weekends creating a website, online course, and Youtube channel where you teach people saxophone.

Create what https://www.justinguitar.com/ is to guitar lessons, but for saxophones. Look at his website, and Youtube channel with 1M subscribers and just make the exact equivalent for saxophone. He has laid out the entire framework for you. All you have to do is study and replicate it for sax.