Chrissy j

Should I Go To College? Advice?

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I've been thinking a lot lately about if I should go to college or not being a senior in high school right now. If I don't go, well... I'm going to be kicked out of my house onto my own and move to some city to work until I find my life purpose! There is pros and cons to both options and any advice would help!:)

In college I'd get: Basic education to learn to be more well rounded even though I'm not passionate about it. Even without passion it still seems like a good idea to learn this kind of stuff. I'd have lots of social situations so I can get better socially and with girls maybe making some good connections with passionate people on the way or getting a girlfriend. These are good but I wouldn't have a lot of time most likely to study personal development material which is my main focus and something I've become passionate about. Also finding my life purpose along with all this stuff would be hard time wise. College would also be really fun experience I think.

On my own in the city I'd: Have more time to study and learn I THINK depending on my job salary and work time. Working two jobs wouldn't help.  I'd be able to focus on life purpose stuff more too if had more time. I wouldn't have as many social situations though. In a social aspect of growth and enjoyment with people college would be better.

Personal growth, life purpose, and enlightenment are my main focuses right now. Growing myself doing personal development work is a big focus.  I'm changing habits and learning a lot making my life more enjoyable. Emotional mastery has been a big focus too and I've been reading some. I want to start learning about it all and really transform my life into something amazing in all aspects of life. I'm also trying to find my life purpose. I bought his course and have done some of it but it is hard to balance with school and work. I also want to start learning more about enlightenment. I've been meditating everyday for 4 months now. 

I guess I'm just trying to find the better option. Going out on my own pursuing personal development and enlightenment and finding my life purpose (something to do with personal development or enlightenment I think) seems smart but school seems like a better option at times to. What do you guys think? Will I have more time to learn and grow in college or in the real world? Which one will help me more in my growth, education, and life. Which will give me better experience? Which would give me a more enjoyable experience? The real world with the stress of money seems painful. What is everyone's thoughts on college? Thanks for help! :D

it all depends on this: what do you want?

I understand you may not have the answer, but that is still the question that matters most.

Sure, college will be a blast. I know it was for me. You'll meet tons of people, have crazy experiences, and have time to explore your options as far as what you want to do with your life / discover your talents.

But if you want to be an entrepreneur, or some other job not requiring a college degree, you can get started on that right now. DO NOT underestimate how ahead of the curve you could get in four years instead of going to school.

I know now I would have LOVED to have started earlier. But it just wasn't in the cards for me, I needed to explore first. Maybe it is for you.

So really, what do you want? What are your priorities?

I'm not even saying one is better than the other. I don't really care, it's up to you to live your life.

@MochaSlap I personally would go to Collage, as it provides you with valuable information of how the world operates around, us which may in turn allow you to also find your life purpose simultaneously, just do something that you enjoy doing, and that doesn't seem like a boring task, and you will love college, try it out your time here on Earth is limited anyway, try experiment with new things, you don't know what you will find!

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

@MochaSlap attending college will be good fun. But only you will know if it truly will benefit you, you will meet different kinds of people which is a bonus. But never do something that makes you unhappy. Look inside have a bit of time to yourself and don't rush by getting into the future. 

:) be calm and be happy it's your life! 

15 hours ago, MochaSlap said:

@aurum Thank you very much for your input. It helps a lot :)

You're welcome!

I started college last year when I was 21 to study business management and marketing. When I graduated from high school I went pretty much straight to work abroad and I still do that seasonally. This year I have worked for about 5 months and I can easily live with that money until the next spring. I have no debt. I can spend my time concentrating on the things I want. I also do a little business with garlic in the fall that has given me more business experience and communication skills then any course in college. What I have learned so far is that I can learn more effectively from books and practise on my own then learning by a certain process in college where I have to worry about assignments and courses that I do not really care about or particularly need. I find more value of my college experience in the sense that I moved to a different city and had many new experiences. 

Would I have gone straight to college? I think not. All the difficulties I had to overcome when I went to work abroad made me grow much faster then I would have in college. At least I think so. It became very clear to me that I and I alone am responsible for my life and that I needed to start developing myself. I also know that I am going to be making my money as an entrepreneur so a paper from college does not really mean all that much to me. 

So those are my thoughts and experiences. Maybe they help you in some way.