Zion

Is sex generally regarded as unimportant after enlightenment?

14 posts in this topic

Where does sex hold a place within an enlightened or awakened person? Has sex become abstinent after a certain point of enlightenment? I realize this depends on the person greatly, however I'm asking as a general consensus. 

For example, do monks or enlightened people as a general populous become generally abstinent of sexual activity?

I'm seeing within self-delepment teachings that sexual desire eventually transcends & becomes a lesser importance. Is this to say that it becomes unutilized? What replaces it if so? 

To what point does sex become useless, undesirable, & without any true worth? 

They don't want it, they just do it.

The only difference is the lack of aching desire for sex.  

@Zion Varies from body mind to body mind. 

If you enjoy something & have a deep connection / love with someone and want to express that, why wouldn't you?

11 hours ago, Zion said:

To what point does sex become useless, undesirable, & without any true worth? 

The moment you create that belief for yourself that it is, or when you create that belief that this is how it is for 'enlightened people' 

Also, Monks aren't necessarily Enlightened at all, and their repression usually has horrific consequences- Catholic priests pedophilia, even Buddhist monks abuse and crazy sexual outbursts. 

Dropping it naturally is one thing, suppression is another & imo far more harmful in most cases long term

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Heart of Space  So what is sex without desire? Perhaps it's currently too ineffable to put into definite terms.. ?

No. Not unimportant. It's regarded as Love just like anything else. A rather intense form I'd say. Play. Lila. An amazing thing. :-)

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

1 hour ago, Zion said:

@Heart of Space  So what is sex without desire? Perhaps it's currently too ineffable to put into definite terms.. ?

It's the same thing without the wanting of it.  

You can still do it if the body needs it.. You are just not attached to it any more 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Yes and no. After an initial awakening experience, I saw sex as something dirty and unnecessary. A distraction from seeking the truth. Eventually, however, I came to the realization that sex is like anything else in life—one does not need it to be fulfilled, but it can be fun and provide connection with others. I have a "healthy" sex life with my wife. Sexual craving is one of many possible mind-states that arises, and part of being a sentient mammal. Fully enlightened beings may not experience cravings, but they can still enjoy it the same as swimming, riding a bike, or video games. 

@Heart of Space I suppose I was looking for an explanation of something that I can't truly understand yet, as I currently do feel that desire is needed for sex. 

A better question would be, "How do enlightened people see eating?" We normal people can experience desire for a chocolate cake and enjoy eating it, but the desire really isn't needed. One can still enjoy the experience of chocolate cake without the desire leading to it. Same with sex. :)

@OneHandClap Interesting..

Aren't desire & enjoyment intertwined though? For example, the enjoyment of the cake creates the desire for the cake, which then creates more enjoyment, etc.

Perhaps it'd be helpful to get an understanding of how you define desire, & how you define enjoyment?

Edited by Zion
helpful add-on

2 minutes ago, Zion said:

@OneHandClap Interesting..

Aren't desire & enjoyment intertwined though? 

Perhaps it'd be helpful to get an understanding of how you define desire, & how you define enjoyment?

Desire is really nothing more than anticipation of a given outcome. When we have lust, that is sexual desire focused on an orgasm with a pleasurable mate (or one's hand, lmaooo). Desire may arise in an enlightened being only if they incline themselves toward those lustful thoughts with the intent of having sexual desire. Which raises the question - is it still desire if it's cultivated intentionally? For example, when I'm with my wife, I can very easily flick on "desire" and start taking in the moment from the POV of a sexual creature. But generally I don't have much desire arise - it's a distraction for the most part, and I don't feed it with attention.

Nota bene: I am not fully enlightened... so I can't speak to that completely. Just parroting what teachers have told me.