Seth

Debating myself VS Debating others

21 posts in this topic

Leo says that debating other people is not a good method of finding truth. This is clear to me because the Implicity (Truth) of existence cannot be made explicit. But what about arguments and debates with myself? In what ways is  arguing with others different from arguing with yourself? Have you had success with "contemplation" method?

Contemplation and debate are two different things.

Arguing with others is the same as arguing with yourself.

On 26.4.2021 at 7:30 AM, Seth said:

In what ways is arguing with others different from arguing with yourself? Have you had success with "contemplation" method?

In the absolute sense, there is no difference. All Is One.

I contemplate all the time and yes, I can say succesfully. Contemplation guides me to my most desirable experiences and towards my life purpose.

Greg.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Debating yourself is one of the most powerful practices you can do, because in order to do it effectively you'll need to transcend the ego and channel different characters with different perspectives.

To get a good sense of just how powerful the process can be, I suggest looking into 2 figures - Fyodor Dostoevsky and Quentin Tarantino.  Both are able in their writing to channel such deeply held perspectives that their characters come across as fully complex human beings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphony_(literature)

1 hour ago, kinesin said:

Debating yourself is one of the most powerful practices you can do, because in order to do it effectively you'll need to transcend the ego and channel different characters with different perspectives.

The best example of channeling different characters with different perspectives I have ever met in literature is "Silent House" by Orhan Pamuk. Each chapter is a view of a new character, written from the "I"-perspective.

@Hulia Pamuk is a big fan of Dostoevsky, infact he once said that reading The Brothers Karamazov changed his life.  If you like Pamuk's work, I can't recommend Dostoevsky enough... he truly is the master of writing from different character perspectives.

On 21.6.2021 at 2:55 PM, kinesin said:

@Hulia Pamuk is a big fan of Dostoevsky, infact he once said that reading The Brothers Karamazov changed his life.  If you like Pamuk's work, I can't recommend Dostoevsky enough... he truly is the master of writing from different character perspectives.

Beared men have no chance with me :)

Dostoevsky has a lot of theorizing and philosophizing, which Pmuk doesn´t have. Pamuk specilizes rather on the beauty of a normal life. Some of his characters perceive this beauty, the others not, but the reader does anyway.

Well Dostoevsky tries also something similiar with his characters by sending them into monestery or a preason, but the reader sees no beauty in it :) 

12 minutes ago, Hulia said:

Beared men have no chance with me :)

Dostoevsky has a lot of theorizing and philosophizing, which Pmuk doesn´t have. Pamuk specilizes rather on the beauty of a normal life. Some of his characters perceive this beauty, the others not, but the reader does anyway.

Well Dostoevsky tries also something similiar with his characters by sending them into monestery or a preason, but the reader sees no beauty in it :) 

So you don't like theorizing and philosophizing. 

Oh boyo. Taken. 

4 minutes ago, Zeroguy said:

So you don't like theorizing and philosophizing. 

Oh boyo. Taken. 

You won´t be able to stop it. Making your lists ?

9 hours ago, Hulia said:

You won´t be able to stop it. Making your lists ?

? Then take pen out of my hands and say "look at me you fool, I am right here" "Turn your head out for once and notice me". 

Edited by Zeroguy

11 hours ago, Zeroguy said:

? Then take pen out of my hands and say "look at me you fool, I am right here" "Turn your head out for once and notice me". 

It´s none of my business to take you your toys away. 

Do you still use a pen for your lists? So old-fashioned? :) 

AlphaGo Zero taught itself Go by playing against itself. It's now the most powerful Go player in the world. Self-reference is amazingly powerful.

1 hour ago, Hulia said:

It´s none of my business to take you your toys away. 

Never say never. 

1 hour ago, Hulia said:

Do you still use a pen for your lists? So old-fashioned? :) 

For major strategic stuff I do. Concept making. 

8 minutes ago, Zeroguy said:

For major strategic stuff I do. Concept making. 

The major strategic stuff is not so major, if it needs to be written down

List of major concepts yes. Kinda dragging that stuff from student days. 

I think easier when I see and develop further. Tree with branches stuff. 

Math guy what you expect. 

52 minutes ago, Zeroguy said:

List of major concepts yes. Kinda dragging that stuff from student days. 

I think easier when I see and develop further. Tree with branches stuff. 

Math guy what you expect. 

Masculine mind :)

I could never do that visualisation stuff. I just start moving into desired direction and decide on my way what is the next, of course get lost now and then . But even if I had created a tree before the start, is there a guarantee you wouldn´t be lost? No. So why bother with the tree and the brunch stuff ? I get headache of too many branches, which grow quicker than a tree. :)

35 minutes ago, Hulia said:

Masculine mind :)

I could never do that visualisation stuff. I just start moving into desired direction and decide on my way what is the next, of course get lost now and then . But even if I had created a tree before the start, is there a guarantee you wouldn´t be lost? No. So why bother with the tree and the brunch stuff ? I get headache of too many branches, which grow quicker than a tree. :)

Headache is the word that by time I learned to hate the most. But I developed tolerance too. So all good. 

@Hulia You know what always intrigued me about you. Why you  didn't wanted to just take aspirine. I mean who has headache for 3 straight nights I mean days and doesn't do anything about it. No need for suffering. 

6 minutes ago, Zeroguy said:

@Hulia You know what always intrigued me about you. Why you  didn't wanted to just take aspirine. I mean who has headache for 3 straight nights I mean days and doesn't do anything about it. No need for suffering. 

I always take a medicine if I have aches. I know, where are heading to. Don´t!