Lyubov

Liver detox

10 posts in this topic

I tested high for both ALT and AST and am going to go in and get tested for Hepatitis b, c, Hemochromatosis and a few other things to see what is up with my liver. The first two should come back negative since I have not been exposed to either and have been tested before where they came back negative. Aside from tests and cleaning up dieting, what are some ways to improve liver health in general? I've heard Milkthisel, turmeric, and dandelion should help detox it. Has anyone here had success doing liver detox and getting their ALT and AST in order, or treating fatty liver or iron heavy liver? 

@Lyubov ALT & AST don't indicate detox deficiency but they are indicators of physical damage to the liver. This could very much be connected to your cholesterol results and the bigger picture. Continue working on polishing your diet, removing junk and these values will improve. ELiminate most sources of white sugar, fructose (except fruit), alcohol, tobacco, foods with chemicals, excess salt, cheap oils in cooking. DOn't barbecue your meats, don't eat red meat, don't east cured meats, salamis, sausages and all this crap, this is incredibly toxic to liver. 

Get more active, eat more natural plant foods. You'll start feeling better. For particular liver benefit: citruses, apples, dandelion leaf to salads, green herbal spices, artichokes, green leafy vegetable, crucierous vegetables. 

I'd keep the thistle away for now, maybe at later stage, it may be too aggressive promoter of phase 1 detoxification which you don't want. Also careful with coffee. 1 per day is a good dose to aim for. 

You may also consider adding some herbal teas like ginger, turmeric & green

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Reduce your alcohol consumption to a glass of beer a week.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I got good results from doing Andreas Moritz liver flushes. Some say it's bs, but I've always felt better after doing it. It improved my digestion considerably. 

@Michael569 it could also be because of heme iron. he should really stop animal products at this point, but hey whatever it is his misery.

1 minute ago, ilja said:

it could also be because of heme iron

agreed, it may be a factor but those levels will go down as less meat and more plants are consumed. Also the more fibre in the diet the less the prooxidative effects of heme iron in the colon is. Generally you want to get 80-100% of your iron from plants 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 4/25/2021 at 4:34 AM, Michael569 said:

@Lyubov ALT & AST don't indicate detox deficiency but they are indicators of physical damage to the liver. This could very much be connected to your cholesterol results and the bigger picture. Continue working on polishing your diet, removing junk and these values will improve. ELiminate most sources of white sugar, fructose (except fruit), alcohol, tobacco, foods with chemicals, excess salt, cheap oils in cooking. DOn't barbecue your meats, don't eat red meat, don't east cured meats, salamis, sausages and all this crap, this is incredibly toxic to liver. 

I never eat this stuff and I very rarely drink. I eat pretty healthy on the food side of things when I focus on it and avoid pizza and deep fried stuff. it's more-so the stuff that can barely be considered food. Soda / milkshake almost every day and tons of desserts, etc. I have a huge sweet tooth. Since my last thread I've cut all that out and so far it's going well. 

I'd keep the thistle away for now, maybe at later stage, it may be too aggressive promoter of phase 1 detoxification which you don't want. Also careful with coffee. 1 per day is a good dose to aim for. 

How come? I just got a supplement for liver cleansing. it has in it

milk thistle  

artichoke leaf

dandelion root

turmeric

beet root  

I think I'm gonna cut out coffee if it potentially hard on my liver while I try to lower these levels 

Edited by Lyubov

3 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Soda / milkshake almost every day and tons of desserts, etc. I have a huge sweet tooth. Since my last thread I've cut all that out and so far it's going well. 

Awesome! that's gonna make a lot of difference. Keep it up 

3 hours ago, Lyubov said:

How come? I just got a supplement for liver cleansing. it has in it

milk thistle  

artichoke leaf

dandelion root

turmeric

beet root  

That's actually a very decent mix. These are mostly herbs that stimulate flow of bile and offer somewhat protection from oxidative damage. In such a mix, thistle won't be as potent so I'd say this is a nice addition to have. 

The thing with milk thistle is that it is being sold as this magic pill for all liver conditions but all it does is speed up certain detoxification pathways in the liver which is not always beneficial if the overall diet isn't very balanced because it could mean that there are more side products being produced by the liver as a result of this and if the body is not ready to take that by having sufficient antioxidant power, it can create more harm than good. But in the mix you have it will probably be fairly helpful as long as your focus on the diet remains strong. 

Add a few saunas if you can, some cold showers and good amount of rigorous exercise and the liver markers as well as the LDL will go down nicely

7 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Awesome! that's gonna make a lot of difference. Keep it up 

That's actually a very decent mix. These are mostly herbs that stimulate flow of bile and offer somewhat protection from oxidative damage. In such a mix, thistle won't be as potent so I'd say this is a nice addition to have. 

The thing with milk thistle is that it is being sold as this magic pill for all liver conditions but all it does is speed up certain detoxification pathways in the liver which is not always beneficial if the overall diet isn't very balanced because it could mean that there are more side products being produced by the liver as a result of this and if the body is not ready to take that by having sufficient antioxidant power, it can create more harm than good. But in the mix you have it will probably be fairly helpful as long as your focus on the diet remains strong. 

Add a few saunas if you can, some cold showers and good amount of rigorous exercise and the liver markers as well as the LDL will go down nicely

Thanks! Will do

Increase bile flow:

All 4 taken together, 4x/day...

Taurine + Glycine + Milk Thistle Extract (Silymarin) + lecithin/phosphatidylcholine

Go easy on both fat and sugar.