QandC

First 5 seconds of waking up (Ego death)

6 posts in this topic

Do you ever experience this? Lately whenever I wake up, for the first five seconds I have no idea who or what I am. There is this extremely powerful, overwhelming feeling of existential wonder that hits me, like a feeling of "what is life? Am I actually alive? Wtf is this?". I am still aware of everything, it's just like pure awareness without any sort of knowledge about anything.

To be honest it is quite frightening at times but still it feels very spiritual in nature. Kind of like during an extremely intense psychedelic experience where you reach ego-death. 

I don't know how this short experience could benefit me on my path but I still believe there's something to it. My dreams lately are also extremely intense and they always share common themes. I used to have nightmares pretty much every night for the past months but now suddenly my dreams seems more like a therapeutic session where I resolve deep issues within myself. 

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Edited by QandC

Yep, you forget about the whole story for a moment, it happens when you sleep only a few hours

Edited by RedLine

Yeah, this is one of the ways one can get at least a glimpse. That brief moment upon waking up, and before the "I" thought has arisen is the Reality. As a practice, which some have gotten success, is not easy. The "I" thought moves in swiftly (no more than a second). To have this happen naturally as I am assuming you did , then consider yourself one of the few. ???

I have a similar feeling and besides that I feel how relaxed the body is just when I wake up. And if I observe carefully it’s possible to feel how it tenses up somewhat in ca 10 seconds. Trying to override that part currently ☺️

I get this if I try to fall asleep on my back. I have been sleeping on my stomach for half a year now.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Havent experienced that but its definitely cool seeing the ego form itself in the first 3 seconds of waking up, the ego self is so quick to create itself. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!