Walkaboutman

Advice on PhD

9 posts in this topic

Hello all

I am one and a half years into my PhD. I have made some progress but at this rate I am not going to make it.

Can anyone suggest a course of action to combat my debilitating laziness or perhaps point me to a book or anything?

Find what you're truly passionate about.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

There is no such thing as laziness, what is missing is a spark of motivation coming from a powerful sense of purpose, if you have that it is impossible to be lazy. Or could it be that you are simply facing resistance? In such case, reading the War of Art could help. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

is it possible to not be truly passionate about anything at all? what if you are passionate about something but you are still not motivated. can you turn any passion into a lucrative career?

@iceprincess It's not possible to not be passionate at all. Every one of us has a passion to nurture. If you are not passionate it's just that because you are taking life for granted. If you are passionate about something but still not motivated it's because you are not authentic enough to yourself. In my opinion, turn your top passion into a lucrative career.

Thank you everybody for your helpful responses, especially the recommendation of the book War of Art. Amazingly I was speaking to my friend about this problem and he sent me a copy of the book, and when I returned to this forum a contributor had suggested it as well.

After some soul searching I found that since young I had a wish to conquer my Alma Mater, irrespective of which degree it may be, it needed to be a PhD. I discussed my delayed schedule with my supervisor and we worked out a plan to move forward again and get the work done.

I will keep you posted...

Holy sheet bro, I just started a thread on this. I just got a PhD offer today and I am really on the fence about it. It offers a flow of cash and certainty for the next four years but I am not passionate about it. If you could go back, would you have done the PhD?

@Anon212 Why on earth would you even think about doing something for the next four years if you're not passionate about it O.o your PhD will be a total misery if you don't love researching the subject and the subject itself