Rilles

How Do You Expand Your Thinking To Be Long Term?

10 posts in this topic

Its hard to install habits if you dont have long term thinking, most I can strategize is probably about a week ahead, then my vision gets blurry, does anyone have any ideas how to change this? Whats really the difference between seeing tommorrow and seeing next year? Why is it harder? 

For example, I really want to improve my posture but its going to take atleast 30 days and my mind is looking for a quick fix but I know thats not good... But 30 days is so long and hard to envision doing exercises daily. 

How to sharpen your long term strategic vision? Thanks

Edit: I dont mean I cant set goals for years ahead, Im merely talking about habits and envisioning them. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

46 minutes ago, Origins said:

Just narrow down the difficulties emotionally, psychologically and cognitively. Work on what weaknesses you realise remain. Yes you can improve all aspects overtime. Think laterally to solve your problems. All problems can be solved.

Forgetfulness is my main problem. I just forget to follow up on my habit. Yes, I strongly believe I will solve this problem. I have to.

What do you mean by think laterally? Out of the box?

Why are you putting time on your visions at all? If a vision matters to you, then it shouldn't matter how long it takes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Why are you putting time on your visions at all? If a vision matters to you, then it shouldn't matter how long it takes.

Great point. Will ponder that. I guess my posture causes me some mental suffering and I want to improve it quickly to get rid of it. 

Edited by Rilles

A year isn't long term. 30 days is short term.

2 hours ago, Rilles said:

does anyone have any ideas how to change this?

Get older.

Other than that, maybe realize you're OK even though you've not achieved your goals and that you'll still be OK tomorrow if you haven't achieved them. There's no rush.

I don't believe in vision, habits and all that. You'll do something today to achieve your goals if you actually want to do whatever it is you need to do. But if you're keep thinking about these goals, you may end up not achieving them. It's not thinking that's going to make you patient.

And if forgetfulness actually is your problem (that would be strange), simply set up reminders!

@Rilles Use one note in combination with apps like fabulous the do this. 

I found that by installing small habits that I do do everyday, could be drinking a glass of water or a 3 minutes exercises that I can root those small habits in daily and from that build more habits. I can say proudly that I now journal, meditate, exercise, plan, and do my school work everyday and it feels smooth, enjoyable and fun. Start small. Fabulous is a great app!

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Rilles Try journaling every morning. I personally find it much easier to come up with solutions by writing.  Write with the intention of finding solutions and you will come up with many. You have the answers, you just need to let them surface.

Two things that helped me thing more long-term were:

1. Getting involved with long-term projects. For example, building a really solid business takes a few years, so when you take several of these few-year blocks and fill your life with it, you realize you don't have that many tries and not that much time.

2. Thinking about my youth and how my decisions back then affect me right now, years later.

@Rilles memory training. 1 hour a day. It’s not just memory you’ll be training attention and focus as well which are vital to memory. All these are connected.

Study a memory champions book let me know if you need a recommendation.

Edited by Origins