Thought Art

Artist Feedback Thread

18 posts in this topic

If it's a video or music, listen to the whole thing at least once before giving feedback. Remember the goal is create a powerful community of creators not to tear others down. By sharing your work, even if it scares you you will definitely improve a lot faster. I believe we are all here to create something great. Remember it doesn't always happen in your first try. But, this is the path of mastery!

Let's walk it together.

You can also specify things you want feedback on, such as content or structure.

You can choose three level of critical feedback heat:

1. Low

2. Medium

3. High

Here is a song I created on my first album:

I would like feedback on how I can improve my mixing and recording in future records, as well as what peoples opinions are of the composition. High.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

42 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

If it's a video or music, listen to the whole thing at least once before giving feedback. Remember the goal is create a powerful community of creators not to tear others down. By sharing your work, even if it scares you you will definitely improve a lot faster. I believe we are all here to create something great. Remember it doesn't always happen in your first try. But, this is the path of mastery!

Let's walk it together.

1. Low

2. Medium

3. High

I would like feedback on how I can improve my mixing and recording in future records, as well as what peoples opinions are of the composition. High.

Good stuff man.

I like the guitar loop and what I think was either a harmonica or an accordion. Your album artwork is also really cool, did you draw that yourself?

As far as critical feedback, I would have mixed your vocals louder. They get drowned out at certain points, especially when you went heavy on the reverb. It also sounded like there may have been some mistakes you made on the guitar at around 2mins, but maybe that was intentional, I'm not sure xD.

Here's an EDM song I made a while back. I usually write more acoustic music, but someone wanted me to produce a song for them and I ended up with this.

Edited by aurum

@Thought Art I love the instrumentual part a lot! Really good job here! I believe the vocal part could have some more "Strength" to it, though, right now it's a bit mushy. Maybe that's your style, but I think you'd benefit a lot from a deeper, "stronger" voice. I feel like you sing from your nose a bit way too much, maybe switching it to a more diaphragm voice projection would solve the issue. Cheers B|

Edited by Hello from Russia

@Thought Art

They get drowned out at certain points, especially when you went heavy on the reverb.

I second this ?

• Is the noise in the beginning & end intentional? If not, maybe look for a quiet room or look into soundproof or sound absorbing panels. Or just make the threshold for the recording higher that the mic only records true spikes and leaves out the usual errors - recording the signal and leaving out the noise. ;)
  • From 3:12 to 3:28 the instruments overlay each other in a nice disharmonic way. I cannot really describe it, but I feel the disharmonic blend can be made a bit clearer. Maybe bringing more harmony in the disharmonic part. That would mean a bit more editing and rerecording of some layers that don't fit already.

Thanks! I enjoyed that song.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

6 hours ago, aurum said:

Here's an EDM song I made a while back. I usually write more acoustic music, but an someone wanted me to produce a song for them and I ended up with this.

This is really good. I actually might make a study list here for school and I will put this on it. Its really fun, light. Its a jam for sure!

Feedback on Song Bird:

@aurum Thanks that is really great feedback. I will note to check my vocal levels, And yeah It's kind of a rough take but I felt like it added some how. I will make more polished work as I go forward.

@Hello from Russia That is great feedback. I have been working on this, and I think I can really make them more powerful in the future. Thank you!@Loving Radiance Sweet, thanks so much. And great recommendation I am going to give it a read/ listen.

Thanks everyone! xD Looking forward to seeing other peoples works here too!

◭"89"

@Loving Radiance Hey, why did you link that book ahaha

◭"89"

14 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Let's walk it together.

1. Low

2. Medium

3. High

It's a very nice song, I really like the arrangement. You've got some really nice backing vocal sounds that really go well with the song, and they have plenty of reverb (or other effects, not sure), it's nice.

What I would try to improve is the vocal performance and vocal mixing, you were out of tune at times, and you could solve this through melodyne, or just re-record until you hit those notes just right. You have a nice falsetto voice as well. Believe me, I know how vocal mixing can be a pain in the ass, I'm still making mistakes with it as well. Oh, also, your forgot to edit out a few sounds, like breath noises, or the chair squeaking in the end.

Anyway, good stuff, glad to hear it!

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

13 hours ago, aurum said:

Here's an EDM song I made a while back. I usually write more acoustic music, but someone wanted me to produce a song for them and I ended up with this.

@aurum I really don't know anything about EDM (it's not my cup of tea as a genre), but it sounds good to me! Sorry I can't be any more specific, I'm lacking in references here :)

Really great thread!

I'd add one more rule though: you can only post your artwork if you review at least one artwork from others.

@Thought Art The guitar riff is pretty good although it gets a bit repetative after a while. The vocals could use more power and maybe more reverb/delay. Other than these, great relaxing stuff.

@aurum Nice track! It has a strong synthwave feel to it. I like the way you used the pads/synths, but for my taste, the kick could be louder and punchier.

Here's my latest 3D piece that I finished:

tamas-orvos-lair.jpg?1612730418

On 26.2.2021 at 0:35 AM, Thought Art said:

Hey, why did you link that book ahaha

What I described reminded me of the title of the book xD

On 25.2.2021 at 5:47 PM, aurum said:

Nice song overall. It would take me 100s of hours to do something like that.

I feel like at some times (1:12; 2:14) the beat is more used as an instrument that pauses and comes back in. There's nothing to orient myself on that is constant. So, even when the constant layer pauses the other layer should also pause imo. Feels sometimes bumby to me and as if the sound is indecisive/insecure how far it wants to go and play a role in the ensamble. Listening to the motive again in the end, feels as if the beat (from 3:22) is insecure to play a more constant dominant role. Like dabbling and not fully committing. I know it closes there but even before it felt inconsistent and avoidant, not wanting to commit.

At 1:59 the transition is a bit to hard imo. Feels like a new song is starting which is ok of course, but the beginning of the variation feels disconnected from the part before.

Starting at 2:29 - idk what the sound is called, but it's like a whip - the sound takes turns with the bass. Because of the difference of frequency this feels not harmoneous. Yes, now when hearing a bit longer, waiting for the motive to come back, I feel like it is to drastic with the whip sound. Like waves washing ashore or a river flowing in the forest and someone making a whipping noise.

On 26.2.2021 at 7:53 AM, nistake said:

I like that!

Why though isn't there a torch besides the book shelf? I want light to see what book I I take! xD

The candle on the table seems to be an LED considering how bright it is compared to the torches above. Or is there a hole in the ceiling for the sun to shine in?

On 26.2.2021 at 8:22 AM, Gili Trawangan said:

?

At 0:52 & 1:46 the transition from the piano to the vocal/guitar feels too hard for me. But I don't know how you could make it more smoother. The melody is already conducive to the transition.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Gili Trawangan

18 hours ago, Gili Trawangan said:

I forgot to add one of mine:

Feedback heat... what the hell, always high :)

This is really cool.

My only critique is that I think it would pop a lot more if the drums were stronger. They feel kind of weak to me. The beat itself is cool, but it's hard to vibe to because the drums don't really "punch" for me.

Otherwise, I like it. Vocals are great. And I like that you used more of a hip hop beat instead of a standard rock beat, makes it interesting.

18 hours ago, nistake said:

Cool stuff man! I don't know anything about this world but it looks awesome.

And thanks for the feedback everybody.

@Loving Radiance Thanks for the feedback :)

11 hours ago, aurum said:

My only critique is that I think it would pop a lot more if the drums were stronger. They feel kind of weak to me. The beat itself is cool, but it's hard to vibe to because the drums don't really "punch" for me.

Otherwise, I like it. Vocals are great. And I like that you used more of a hip hop beat instead of a standard rock beat, makes it interesting.

@aurum Thanks a lot. That's a good point about the drums.. I'm thinking about how they could possibly get more of that punch, because just making them louder wouldn't work, I think.. anyway, it's something to think about for the future, thanks!

@nistake Beautiful Image, very classic sort of role playing game kinda feel. Are you becoming a game designer? 

@Gili Trawangan I really like the drum beat. Though, could groove a bit more. Reminds me sort of Thom york, Atoms for Peace. I think the vocals could be louder and the drums lower. Have you listened to the addiction formula audiobook yet? The vocals remind me of a few things, maybe Placebo? Nice touch on the reverb effect as the song came to a close. The composition is pretty good, how you bring in and out instruments is well done. Sometimes it feels a bit clashy or busy or like the guitar and the vocals are following the same melody line in the same space in the mix. I wonder if EQ is how you could get it to punch more without being too loud. I didn't connected strongly with the lyrics, but enjoy the content. I think the guitar kinda blurs the vocal a little bit. How did you set up the mix? I will listen to it again here later today with headphones. I will listen again and update my post.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

16 hours ago, Thought Art said:

I really like the drum beat. Though, could groove a bit more. Reminds me sort of Thom york, Atoms for Peace. I think the vocals could be louder and the drums lower. Have you listened to the addiction formula audiobook yet? The vocals remind me of a few things, maybe Placebo? Nice touch on the reverb effect as the song came to a close. The composition is pretty good, how you bring in and out instruments is well done. Sometimes it feels a bit clashy or busy or like the guitar and the vocals are following the same melody line in the same space in the mix. I wonder if EQ is how you could get it to punch more without being too loud. I didn't connected strongly with the lyrics, but enjoy the content. I think the guitar kinda blurs the vocal a little bit. How did you set up the mix? I will listen to it again here later today with headphones. I will listen again and update my post.

@Thought Art Thanks for the feedback! I haven't listened to the addiction formula, is it free somewhere online?

I honestly don't remember how the mix was done, it was a few (long) months ago. I'm just taking notes now on how to improve in the future, cause I'm really just a beginner when it comes to mixing.

On 25/02/2021 at 0:53 PM, Thought Art said:

Let's walk it together.

1. Low

2. Medium

3. High

Man, this is really good! 

I personally don't understand much about mixing and recording... I agree somewhat about the vocals being a bit lower than the instrumentals, but it would seem intentional to me. Your lyrics are very strong and significant, but the combinations are even more. The words evoke the concepts, but the instruments evoke the emotions. I simply LOVE the way your main voice blends to the backing vocal and the melodica (I'm guessing it's a melodica) sometimes, like from 0:42 to 1:05, for example. It is soul lifting! 

I'm Brazilian, and for me the use of the melodica really brings some Brazilian northeast folk music to mind, but suddenly your American accent english comes in (spotify told me you're Canadian, but I'm not that good in identifying accents ?), and suddenly you use timbres so common to me, that being the guitar, the melodica and voice, and transforms it into something ethereal. The sounds may be a bit unpolished, perhaps, but it makes me feel closer to you and your composition. Thanks for sharing it!!

Hello folks! I just reviewed Engramn's song, and forgot to post my own! 

It is the opening piece of my first album. My greatest wish related to this album is to offer the listener a self reflection journey into theirself. I'd like to know what you feel listening to this piece, in terms of ambiance, composition and musical narrative.

In case you feel like listening to the whole album, I'd love to have feedback also about the coherence of the pieces, their sequence, and how you feel it all connects to the cover art. The full album is also called "Iniciar e Corresponder", which you can find in almost any streaming service.