Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gabith

I'm addicted to internet

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm addicted to internet I spend a lot of time on forums and youtube. I spend between 5 and 10 hours per day on internet.

In my house I don't have a lot of distractions, I just have a guitar, I don't have videogames or anything else, I'm a minimalist.
It's cool I don't want more but I would like to spend more time for spiritual work... But when I do spiritual work after a few minutes I'm thinking about going back to my computer.
Spending only 1 to 2 hours a day on internet would be a really hard thing for me...

I do have a morning and evening routine with meditation, yoga, cold shower and that helped me a lot but during the day I don't know what to do to break this bad habit.

Do you have tips to help me ? Some people were like me before ? How did you break this habit ?

At least your a porcupine tree fan. We need more of those in the world.

How do you feel during your day? How do you feel when you are on the internet?

Maybe you have created a story that goes like this "My name is Gabith and I'm addicted to the internet, nothing else really interestes me. Without being on the internet I can not live" You know, like drug addicts think they are just that: Addicts.

Because they had a troubled childhood, or because of their friends, or the environment. You know, they just are addicts. It must be so, of course. It's not what they want but that is just the card they have been dealt in life. And it will be like that for a while, maybe forever. They could get clean, change their lifes but it's hard you know? So they don't even try.

What I mean is this. Part of changing your habits and addictions is letting go of the story surrounding them.

Then you can create a new narrative for your life. With meditation and yoga and vegan lifestyle or whatever you want.

If you notice any resistance to that new story or if you feel like it's too hard and you can't do it. Or you're maybe afraid of change or if it feels like the new challanges will be overwhelming.

Release and integrate these emotions.

I use this journal to track my forum usage. 

daily forum log

I keep a daily track of how much time I spend on the forum, I report when I log in. It's like punching in time and then I keep a track of time spent and shut off when it's more than the daily dose requirement. 

Tracking helps me avoid spending more time than necessary. 

I'm slowly getting to restrict my time as much as possible. I'm able to restrict more now. 

Also I try to use my time effectively. I call it "Conscious Forum Usage. " So I keep a track on what I learned on the forum everyday, if there is any useful post, I record it and make notes 

By reporting, logging, tracking, and recording, I make sure that I spend "Restricted Time " and use it "Consciously. "

This technique beats my internet addiction, although it's just the beginning and I'm already making some great progress with some lag here and there. 

Feel free to browse that journal and use the techniques. 

The technique simply includes

• Logging/Punching 
  • Tracking
  • Reporting 
  • Recording 

Hope this helps 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I was also addicted to the internet but from last three months I have started reading books, going to gym and spend time with my family.