WonderSeeker

Chanting effective for altering consciousness?

5 posts in this topic

I'm a university TA and I told my students that I meditate, and one of them told me that he goes to these monastery retreats every now and then and partakes in multi-hour chanting ceremonies. I've never heard of such a thing. 

Have any of you ever tried this? I watched a Sadhguru video on it and it sounds legit.

It's all about filing the mind with the object of meditation and concentrating so intensely to the point which "I'm meditating" thought also completely dissolve. Then the gate opens, that's it. Even if you sit and concentrate on something intensely for like 15 minutes you gonna notice your sense of self gets weakened and you become very relaxed. Same thing when you are about to sleep.

Try Sadhguru's Nada Yoga. It definitely works! It doesn't cause altered states of consciousness but it super effective way of cleansing.

@WonderSeeker chanting is a regular Buddhist practice. I imagine in monasteries they would do it for several hours a day. It is one form of practice,  which complements their meditaiton rituals.

I used to enjoy chanting when I was Buddhist. There was the rapid staccato of the Japanese Heart Sutra, also the softer and lyrical Pali chanting. It's beautiful in a group setting, following a meditation to deepen the silences. I also like listening to Christian chant sometimes like Gregorian and Eastern Orthodox. It uses the mind, but in a non logical way - especially when in a foreign language I don't understand. 

Actually most religions use chanting, but not so many as their main practice. This topic's one could be a variety of Nichiren Buddhism such as Soka Gakkai, which has become well known in the West through celebrity members like Tina Turner, Courtney Love and Orlando Bloom. 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :)