Lawrence

The Ideal Routine

13 posts in this topic

Hey there!

I was just wondering how many activities should we have on our positive routine?

At the moment I have 12, what would you say is the maximum number of habits on a routine before overwhelm kicks in?

I understand that there is no right or wrong answer here but I would appreciate what you think.

Some might like having lots, others less... I guess it's just about doing the 'main' ones right?

Thanks =)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

@Lawrence 

you clearly have more than i do on my list my friend. I would say i have about 8-10. 

exactly there is no right or wrong answer :) a few of my routine list as followed. 

1. Listen to self help audiobook for 20 minutes. 2. meditate 15-20 mins. 3. go for walk in nature.

4. cardio ( fitness) 5. read 10 pages of spiritual book. 

Just a few of mine. these are my main positive routines. People may have different main ones, but those are mine.

Aslong your happy doing your routine that is the main thing.

I have my morning walk, meditation, hour or two of reading whatever book I may be at the time, and videos or audiobooks on actualization and philosophical topics for whenever I'm at work or cleaning.

Those are what i do  no matter the day, outside of that, whatever I do I examine on a day to day basis, literally asking myself 'What do I want to get done/do today'. This usually involve asking myself what the emotionally uncomfortable thing to do is.

I'm actually in the process of solidifying and making a habit of my daily routine! I have a 2 week schedule I've made for myself that allows me to visually track it. That way afterwards I won't need to track it at all, and it'll become a natural habit for me. (Unless I fall off, which I'd become aware of and put myself on my 2 week schedule again)

11 hours ago, Jared Gregory said:

@Lawrence 

you clearly have more than i do on my list my friend. I would say i have about 8-10. 

exactly there is no right or wrong answer :) a few of my routine list as followed. 

1. Listen to self help audiobook for 20 minutes. 2. meditate 15-20 mins. 3. go for walk in nature.

4. cardio ( fitness) 5. read 10 pages of spiritual book. 

Just a few of mine. these are my main positive routines. People may have different main ones, but those are mine.

Aslong your happy doing your routine that is the main thing.

That is really nice... :D

Yeah I love doing it! =)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

11 hours ago, Joshaps said:

I'm actually in the process of solidifying and making a habit of my daily routine! I have a 2 week schedule I've made for myself that allows me to visually track it. That way afterwards I won't need to track it at all, and it'll become a natural habit for me. (Unless I fall off, which I'd become aware of and put myself on my 2 week schedule again)

That's awesome to hear =) 

Thanks for sharing.

I also have found out that a little voice in my head says ' come on the day is running out, need to do more stuff" then i realised that was the ego talking to me. So now i stick to what i enjoy doing on my positive routine list no matter how much time it takes. 

Because it's the choice i have made :)

1 hour ago, Jared Gregory said:

I also have found out that a little voice in my head says ' come on the day is running out, need to do more stuff" then i realised that was the ego talking to me. So now i stick to what i enjoy doing on my positive routine list no matter how much time it takes. 

Because it's the choice i have made :)

Yeah I can also relate to this - It's that voice and power struggle it has by trying to control us, but the more you think about that thought, it just creates overwhelm and that can never be helpful.

I think the ideal would be to have as many items on your list as possible, but not so many that you cannot complete them every day. For each person, that will be different and has to be decided by themselves. Too much activity in a routine can backfire - they create burnout, stress, anxiety, etc which should be avoided if you want to self actualize.

7 hours ago, Christian said:

I think the ideal would be to have as many items on your list as possible, but not so many that you cannot complete them every day. For each person, that will be different and has to be decided by themselves. Too much activity in a routine can backfire - they create burnout, stress, anxiety, etc which should be avoided if you want to self actualize.

Yes I agree @Christian 

Thanks for sharing!

i have this criteria: everyday i try to

• take care of my body
  • take care of my mind
  • eat well
  • share laughter and smiles, listen and have eye contact
  • invest in my university career
  • improve the accuracy of my reality perception (dharma studies, self-inquiry etc)
  • help the world

sometimes i can combine these topics. sometimes i can't keep up with all of them. but a day like that feels like a PERFECT day for me.

Edited by iago iriarte arhatha

unborn Truth

Mine is; Meditate for 20-30 mins( in the evening), positive affirmations(which I do while I shower or run errands just to get it in my subconscious),being aware of negative thoughts and going for positive, journaling each day, besides that the eat well, walk everyday and do Pilates 3 times a week. 

Besides that, when I have questions or doubts I meditate in those to come up with an answer. 

12 minutes ago, Elton said:

@Lawrence i feel less stuff can be done with increased quality.

Okay, that's fine =)