Birdcage

What Motivates Action ?

24 posts in this topic

Am I missing something here. As seen in Leo's and other self-actualization videos, books.. etc it is claimed that ego should be noticed and dealt with, so we can be more in touch with our being and reality. I'm all up for it when Leo says there is no killing of the ego or fighting it, but solely being aware of it is the key. 

After all, if we didn't have ego and 'want more' in our heads, we'd still be walking on for legs. 

Where I have a problem understanding is this; happiness is within us and no amount of money, love, possessions will make us more fulfilled. We should find happiness within. I understand that and agree with it but isn't the motivation to actually get off your ass, work, accomplish something, find a mate... etc is for the search of happiness or fulfilment. I know they won't make you happier but then improving your life, career.. etc seems trivial. So basically we might just as well be born, learn to read and write and walk and then sit under a tree for 70 years and look within. 

What am I missing in here? Isn't the feeling of 'not enough' is the basic motivation for getting moving?

I'm not saying desperation is the key, but don't we somehow have those needs so we can actually get up and do something. If not, then what is the point? We should all just sit around and be aware of the present moment until we die, if that's the case. 

Any thoughts on that will be very much appreciated. 

You need to see yourself as a wave of energy running its course.

The course of this energy is something very specific that will only appeal to you, it is a task to do in this word, and it's the only one that will have a meaning for you.

Consciousness/god wants "you" to do something very specific because it wants to expand itself, that's the only meaning of life,

Create something new out of nothing, that's what infinity is.

The only reason why you need a motive to do something, is because you didn't find your life purpose, yet.

Check Leo Life purpose course or take an another, but that's what you're missing apparently.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what motivates me to do personal development specifically. I genuinely feel like I cannot come up with "one" singular answer. I maybe think part of it for me is being  motivated from the journey itself - the ups, downs, growth and the bliss. Also the potential and the impact I can have on other people from staying on the journey.

But as far as my life purpose, I feel more it is about growth, contribution and excellence. I love the idea of  being an excellent human. That has always inspired me somehow.

Just now, Christian said:

It is hard to pinpoint exactly what motivates me to do personal development specifically. I genuinely feel like I cannot come up with "one" singular answer. I maybe think part of it for me is being  motivated from the journey itself - the ups, downs, growth and the bliss. Also the potential and the impact I can have on other people from staying on the journey.

But as far as my life purpose, I feel more it is about growth, contribution and excellence. I love the idea of  being an excellent human. That has always inspired me somehow.

It inspire everyone you know, it's the search of genuine happiness that everyone seek, but very few find.

Being an excellent human ? What does even mean ? And what point there is in that if you can't do something for others with it ? What is contribution to you ?

Your "one" singular answer is your consciousness seeking to overflow your body, but right now it is filled with your ego and therefore it cannot express itself fully.

That's one of the caracteristic of enlightened peoples, they just do what they feel is important for others (and ultimately them), there is no second guess.

The problem is that in our limited egoistical form, we tend to overlook that, we tend to look at our dreams as childish and stupid things.

In reality, these dreams (if you do self-inquiry to check if they are authentic) are what you are looking for, but some of them looks scary because they actually needs you to become something totally different than what you "are" now.

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

3 hours ago, Birdcage said:

So basically we might just as well be born, learn to read and write and walk and then sit under a tree for 70 years and look within. 

Is there a problem with this?

Exactly who is placing all the 'value' on to the actions that people take in their lives anyway? Ultimately there is nothing you can do in life that doesn't become a memory of the event. Which leaves you where? Wondering what the next thing to do is...and so on. And, interestingly, have you noticed how the anticipation of a goal or action is actually more interesting and exciting than the action it self. And the hindsight of the action is even less interesting and exciting.

You can spend your life like a hamster in a wheel, going around and around chasing 'experiences', being driven by motivations of 'lack', making no real difference in the long run. How many of the things that you have done up to this point, actually add any quality or value to the present moment, right here, right now?

So, yeah, you can sit under a tree looking inward, or you can become successful and rich. It all amounts to the same thing. The present moment is all that you have and it's independent of any moment that preceded it or any moment that follows it.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

You're trying to conceptualise something that you don't know will ever happen..

You don't know the future, it's an idea.

So to become aware of ego?

It's a task for now and the next few months. To forget about all else for a moment (you can become awakened quickly) and just focus on what you are doing. 

Conceit? Looking for things to make you something?

If you can stick with the process and dis-identify then you will find a motivation that is coming from formlessness, your true nature. You shouldn't conceptualise that because that is more ego, more making spontaneous boundlessness into another "I". 

It's scary I know to relaize there is a void, that you have to admit you don't know who you are. But if you trust enough to enter the process you will see that it's not really a void

This is where I'm at right now . I hope it rubs off on you.

Edited by kurt

5 hours ago, Shin said:

You need to see yourself as a wave of energy running its course.

The course of this energy is something very specific that will only appeal to you, it is a task to do in this word, and it's the only one that will have a meaning for you.

Consciousness/god wants "you" to do something very specific because it wants to expand itself, that's the only meaning of life,

Create something new out of nothing, that's what infinity is.

The only reason why you need a motive to do something, is because you didn't find your life purpose, yet.

Check Leo Life purpose course or take an another, but that's what you're missing apparently.

I'm trying to put in simple words just to make sure I understand. So if I had found my life purpose, then I wouldn't need any outside stimuli to accomplish anything. But purely be a conscious/energy experiencing itself subjectively. Hence creating. 

I know it is put too simplistically but did I get your point?

3 hours ago, kurt said:

You're trying to conceptualise something that you don't know will ever happen..

You don't know the future, it's an idea.

So to become aware of ego?

It's a task for now and the next few months. To forget about all else for a moment (you can become awakened quickly) and just focus on what you are doing. 

Conceit? Looking for things to make you something?

If you can stick with the process and dis-identify then you will find a motivation that is coming from formlessness, your true nature. You shouldn't conceptualise that because that is more ego, more making spontaneous boundlessness into another "I". 

It's scary I know to relaize there is a void, that you have to admit you don't know who you are. But if you trust enough to enter the process you will see that it's not really a void

This is where I'm at right now . I hope it rubs off on you.

I think I somehow get your point. Thank you. I'm kind of a newbie but really fast to learn. 

Up until now I went through mastery exercises to reveal deep rooted issues. Worked on those. Staying with emotions. At first it was hard, a lot of grief, resentment, anger. Crying a lot. 

I still do those exercises and 'feel' pretty much nothing. I know it's there but the 'burden of that feeling' is weak and somehow belongs up in the air, instead of inside. So I watch it. 

The ego, I accept it and be aware of it as much as I can, still have a long way to go though. 

There was only that issue I mentioned above that confused me. Thanks for clearing it out. 

10 hours ago, Birdcage said:

I'm trying to put in simple words just to make sure I understand. So if I had found my life purpose, then I wouldn't need any outside stimuli to accomplish anything. But purely be a conscious/energy experiencing itself subjectively. Hence creating. 

I know it is put too simplistically but did I get your point?

You wouldn't need an outside stimuli to do that one thing yes, it will be your all life.

If you try to do something else (an another hobbie), it could still be enjoyable, but you'll know it's only a side thing that mean pretty much nothing to you, and it's fine.

That's the problem with most people, they do so much unauthentic things to them, that they need more and more about theses things, always chasing something they can't describe (most of the time they don't even know they're chasing something), and therefore, they are never satisfied, at least not for long.

So now, ok you're looking to grow, it's good, but at some point (or unless you become enlightened very fast) it won't be enough to fulfilled you in a deep way.

God is love

And God in them

@Birdcage

Here is the way I understand the notion of action.

We are very attached to an illusory self. Thus, We think that our source of action is self. However, it's just an illusory since self that we created, through identification process, is illusory. When we let go of this self, we experience being (true nature). Then, we realize that the source of "action" is being. It seems to me that there is no action when you experience being (your true nature). In this case, everything happens and you only experience life as it is because when you do not identify yourself with anything you become the whole reality as it is.

@Seyed makes sense. Somehow letting the energy of nature/god/universe flow through you instead of being stuck in the illusion of self and trying to guide it?

My understating in a nutshell is that we as humans are merely tools for the universe to experience itself whether through actions or creating or experience and ego is getting in the way, therefore we must be aware of it. 

My question is that, if that's the case (and I mostly believe it is) then where is control and power? We have a very limited view of reality and the way it works so the word 'power' in itself is an illusion. But then what is the reason for human beings to have an ego, needs, wants.. etc. In the first place? Don't everything in the universe have a purpose? You might 'like' one or 'not' but that doesn't mean it is not necessary for this whole 'energy' to function  

In a very very simple example; what is the reason and purpose of being hungry and looking for food when you can sit and just be aware that you are a tool for experiencing hunger, starving and dying?

I know it's put too simplistic but I hope you get my point. 

If we categorise experiences as negative and positive ( which is not useful in it's own contexts and are solely objectives ) then what is the point of choosing one experience over the other? Hence free will, which is survival in its basic core.

what is the reason for having ego in the first place? 

Or did I just answer my own question? That ego is solely there so we will survive  

Any ideas?

@Birdcage Yes. You can read the Surrender experiment by Michael A. Singer. I think this book is a very good place to start.  

Edited by Seyed

This video will be of value to you =) - 

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

On 9/29/2016 at 3:55 PM, FindingPeace said:

And, interestingly, have you noticed how the anticipation of a goal or action is actually more interesting and exciting than the action it self. And the hindsight of the action is even less interesting and exciting.

This is so true!

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

8 hours ago, Birdcage said:

My question is that, if that's the case (and I mostly believe it is) then where is control and power? We have a very limited view of reality and the way it works so the word 'power' in itself is an illusion. But then what is the reason for human beings to have an ego, needs, wants.. etc. In the first place? Don't everything in the universe have a purpose? You might 'like' one or 'not' but that doesn't mean it is not necessary for this whole 'energy' to function .

@Birdcage You mentioned a few points. I try to address your question about purpose. For other questions, please refer to Leo's videos. I attached two of them. 

The whole purpose is that your actual "being" exists for itself. In other words, "you exist that you exist". The only way something has meaning is in relation to something else. If we ask "what does an apple mean" or "what is the purpose of an apple", we cannot answer these questions unless we are referring to something other than the existence of apple. In other word, an apple doesn't have any purpose. It is just being an apple. Therefore, "being" has not meaning. This is because "being" is the only thing that exists. It just exists. Therefore, there is not inherent meaning or purpose. The universe is inherently free of meaning and purpose. Your being exists as itself, for itself. The rest is secondary. Refer to the book of not knowing Chapter 19 if you want to get more info.

Also, notice that separation is what creates the whole notion of purpose and meaning. As soon as we close the gap, between ourselves and reality, we realize that the only purpose is that "you exist that you exist". 

Edited by Seyed

Ego is basically like a magician standing in front of his magic. So we only see the guy, not the magic going on behind. 

Now it doesn't have much purpose yet it is so strong. Since the day we are born, it is there, bitching, anxious, worried. 

How did it get so strong? And when did it exactly take over?

Ego's sole purpose might be (from an evolutionary point) to keep us alive. Because there were too many dangers out there. 

I just had an epiphany and typed like crazy. It happened too fast I could barely write it down. Then got erased because I lost wifi. So I tried to sum it up but didn't come out as strong as it was when it first came to me. Hopefully I'm on the right path though  

10 hours ago, Birdcage said:

@Lawrence thank you. Will watch it tonight 

Awesome =) How was it?