Ook

Do you practice "Letting go" technique by David R. Hawkins?

9 posts in this topic

How many people practice the Letting go technique by David Hawkins? If you do, what have been your results?

I've been practicing it for couple of weeks now and I'm already in much a better place now internally! 

@Ook Do you mind explaining it. I haven’t read every spiritual book out there!

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I just watched a video about someone explaining his practice, this seems to be very "basic". I learned a lot about letting go thanks to adyashanti, shinzen young and eckhart tolle.

There is that "escaping" from something or that "wanting to go somewhere" that is the obstacle between letting go. For example you want to relax, because you want to get away from agitation. The letting go is more like letting go INTO something IN the now, and "not letting a thing go away".

Not fighting with something in order for it to go away, is not letting go it's manipulating something for a later result.

Letting go is a bad word in my opinion. I would rather use the term harmony vs disharmony. Just realising that you are in a state of disharmony, and accepting the now is a big letting go.

There is always thoughts fighting thoughts, something suppressing thoughts, wanting not to think. That often leads to a state of disharmony.

Have you noticed that when you completely exhaust yourself with sports or a hard activity, and you are basically KO., if you lie down thoughts just happen and you feel good. That's equanimity. You just don't have to exhaust yourself if you accept the NOW.

It's a lot of trial and error in my opinion. I tried to find the right "balance", by forcibly focussing on something and forcibly pushing something away to see both sides of the spectrum, so I know what not to do. Not doing those 2 things is equanimity.

It's a HUUUGE instantaneous relief

Is it like the Sedona Method? I’ve done the Sedona Method program and Leo did a video on it. It’s a great technique especially when doing things during the day and something comes up.

11 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Do you mind explaining it. I haven’t read every spiritual book out there!

A paragraph from his book:

"Letting go involves being aware of a feeling, letting it come up, staying with it, and letting it run its course without wanting to make it different or do anything about it. It means simply to let the feeling be there and to focus on letting out the energy behind it. The first step is to allow yourself to have the feeling without resisting it, venting it, fearing it, condemning it, or moralizing about it. It means to drop judgment and to see that it is just a feeling. The technique is to be with the feeling and surrender all efforts to modify it in any way. Let go of wanting to resist the feeling. It is resistance that keeps the feeling going. When you give up resisting or trying to modify the feeling, it will shift to the next feeling and be accompanied by a lighter sensation. A feeling that is not resisted will disappear as the energy behind it dissipates."

8 hours ago, Lyubov said:

Is it like the Sedona Method? I’ve done the Sedona Method program and Leo did a video on it. It’s a great technique especially when doing things during the day and something comes up.

Yeah i guess it's pretty much like that

8 hours ago, Endangered-EGO said:

Have you noticed that when you completely exhaust yourself with sports or a hard activity, and you are basically KO., if you lie down thoughts just happen and you feel good. That's equanimity. You just don't have to exhaust yourself if you accept the NOW.

It's a lot of trial and error in my opinion. I tried to find the right "balance", by forcibly focussing on something and forcibly pushing something away to see both sides of the spectrum, so I know what not to do. Not doing those 2 things is equanimity.

It's a HUUUGE instantaneous relief

Nice!

David Hawkins is amazing, love him a lot. 

Only thing I'll say though is be careful about nuance or buying into him fully. You might try to force what he says into your experience but that won't work. You might end up trying to force some of what he says about "letting go" or "surrender" , but that's a trap. 

With him I think it's possible to fall into the same energetic traps of fundamentalist religions, like Christianity. The trap being that you end up repressing yourself and suffering, out of the belief that repressing yourself and your needs is in service of God. 
[ This isn't necessarily a critique of David Hawkins as a person, just the effectiveness and practical results of a student trying to learn and apply this]

You can't skip to the stage of letting go if you're scared and all repressed. First you have to fully honest and admit what you're feeling.* Which in David's defence, he does say in his teaching about the energy field of courage, but I do think that this is still a trap many of his followers can fall into. Because David himself is so radical (which isn't bad, I love it, but it means caution) with his approach to letting go, it means you need to take steps back or look at things with nuance. 

*Which means that a lot of what you might need is emotional therapy/investigation, shadow work, psychology and psychoanalysis. A self-actualisation approach as well as meditative. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

The first time I saw that book one or more years ago I felt some attraction for it, but didn't read it. Now I saw that book popping up again like two times lately and still feeling some attraction, so I'll take it that there might be something valuable there for me, so I go read it now. Thanks for the mention:P

On 12/28/2020 at 6:55 PM, lmfao said:

David Hawkins is amazing, love him a lot. 

Only thing I'll say though is be careful about nuance or buying into him fully. You might try to force what he says into your experience but that won't work. You might end up trying to force some of what he says about "letting go" or "surrender" , but that's a trap. 

With him I think it's possible to fall into the same energetic traps of fundamentalist religions, like Christianity. The trap being that you end up repressing yourself and suffering, out of the belief that repressing yourself and your needs is in service of God. 
[ This isn't necessarily a critique of David Hawkins as a person, just the effectiveness and practical results of a student trying to learn and apply this]

You can't skip to the stage of letting go if you're scared and all repressed. First you have to fully honest and admit what you're feeling.* Which in David's defence, he does say in his teaching about the energy field of courage, but I do think that this is still a trap many of his followers can fall into. Because David himself is so radical (which isn't bad, I love it, but it means caution) with his approach to letting go, it means you need to take steps back or look at things with nuance. 

*Which means that a lot of what you might need is emotional therapy/investigation, shadow work, psychology and psychoanalysis. A self-actualisation approach as well as meditative. 

That is not true. He literally says to allow the feeling to express itself and be felt in the body without trying to change it. 

P.S

Oops, didn't realize we are not supposed to revive old threads. My bad, won't happen again. Just was thinking that if someone found this through Google, they wouldn't be confused. 

Edited by soularlight