The_Alchemist

Statistics You Found Interesting/Mind Blowing?

32 posts in this topic

https://phys.org/news/2010-02-human-behavior-percent.html

"Human behavior is 93 percent predictable, a group of leading Northeastern University network scientists recently found."And both of these thoughts are in line with something Napoleon Hill suggested 80 years ago in Outwitting the Devil, that 98% of people are controlled by external forces against their real and true interests.

"With two days of data, basically all human behavior is predictable. It turns out that people do the same thing EVERYDAY" -Charles Isbell
"92% of what we worry about is NON ESSENTIAL" Earl Nightingale

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11362246/Just-three-in-10-people-feel-happy-with-their-lives.html
Researchers find 69 per cent of people feel trapped in the same old routine and over 40 per cent are unhappy with their lives
https://www.swnsdigital.com/2017/02/80-of-americans-admit-to-being-stuck-in-a-routine/
80% of Americans Admit to Being Stuck in a Routine

https://www.heartbeatservices.org/hope-floats

Back in the 1950’s, Curt Richter, a well-known Harvard graduate and scientist with Johns Hopkins University did a series of rather unorthodox experiments using water, buckets and rats that resulted in an amazing discovery. He wanted to see how long rats could swim before they drowned. Cringe-worthy no doubt! So you ask “What’s so amazing about knowing how long it takes for a rat to drown?” Bear with me for a bit longer…

Richter put rats into large buckets, half-filled with circulating water. Being notoriously good swimmers – the rats lasted about 15 minutes before giving up and succumbing to the depths of the bucket. Not impressed – I wasn’t either. All I was thinking was “Poor rat!” Richter must have read my mind.

In a follow-up experiment, as the rats started to give up and sink, he pulled the drowning rodents to safety, dried them off, gave them a brief period of rest only to put them right back into that same bucket. Here comes the amazing part – those same rats now swam for an average of 60 hours – YEP – that’s six with a zero or two and a half days.

A rat that was temporarily saved survived 240 times longer than one that was not given any intervention.

Richter’s conclusion: that saving a rat from drowning – even temporarily, gave that rat hope.

5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

"Human behavior is 93 percent predictable, a group of leading Northeastern University network scientists recently found."And both of these thoughts are in line with something Napoleon Hill suggested 80 years ago in Outwitting the Devil, that 98% of people are controlled by external forces against their real and true interests.

Bullshit.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Bullshit.

There's nothing bullshit about it, people walk the SAME paths and go to the SAME places at the SAME time, thats PHONE DATA.

6 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

There's nothing bullshit about it, people walk the SAME paths and go to the SAME places at the SAME time, thats PHONE DATA.

Predict my next sentence. Predict my eye movements. Predict my bowel movements. Predict when one of the oxygen molecules in my lungs are being dislodged from a hemoglobin molecule. Predict the next new technology. Predict when the next car crash will happen. Predict who is the next person to die on earth.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

Predict my next sentence. Predict my eye movements. Predict my bowel movements. Predict when one of the oxygen molecules in my lungs are being dislodged from a hemoglobin molecule. Predict the next new technology. Predict when the next car crash happens. Predict who is the next person to die on earth.

Sounds like you got the gist of the study lmfao.

"Nitpickers are never successful"

Just now, The_Alchemist said:

Sounds like you got the gist of the study lmfao.

"Nitpickers are never successful"

If you define "human behavior" to be 0.0001% of what it means to be human, then sure, have your 93%.

2 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Predict my next sentence. Predict my eye movements. Predict my bowel movements. Predict when one of the oxygen molecules in my lungs are being dislodged from a hemoglobin molecule. Predict the next new technology. Predict when the next car crash will happen. Predict who is the next person to die on earth.

Surely it would just be a matter of information, as in all that could be predicted if information about everything in the world could be put into some kind of algorithm. Individual example would be taking one person and maybe looking at their brain chemistry, their upbringing, personality tests and evaluations, their past, whatever else. If you put all this together and have some high level algorithm, im pretty sure youd be able to predict a lot of what they do 

The US prison population is mindblowing.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

6 minutes ago, Consept said:

Surely it would just be a matter of information, as in all that could be predicted if information about everything in the world could be put into some kind of algorithm. Individual example would be taking one person and maybe looking at their brain chemistry, their upbringing, personality tests and evaluations, their past, whatever else. If you put all this together and have some high level algorithm, im pretty sure youd be able to predict a lot of what they do 

You can't predict infinity.

12 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you define "human behavior" to be 0.0001% of what it means to be human, then sure, have your 93%.

Actually you are the one defining it through irrelevant arm/body movements.

At the end of the day people do the same thing every single day

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQeO0wSnucXIurAt5NBQc2u7FBEVH3PJQvcQ&usqp=CAU

They talk to the same people
They go to the same work
They consume the same drugs
They take in the same ideas

They don't work, they don't learn and they help no one, they are spiritually dead

93% is nothing, it is actually far more predictable

Keep digging though

"Most men are buried at 75, but they passed at 25"-Benjamin Franklin

"Most men die at twenty or thirty; thereafter they are only reflections of themselves: for the rest of their lives they are aping themselves, repeating from day to day more and more mechanically and affectedly what they said and did and thought and loved when they were alive’. "
Jean Christophe

Karma is a bitch! 

Tanks for the links. Interesting. The unconscious is a monster. The Pandemic shapened my sense of how unbelievably predictable humans are. Gurdjieff was right, man is a robot.

Edited by MrWolf

6 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

"With two days of data, basically all human behavior is predictable. It turns out that people do the same thing EVERYDAY" -Charles Isbell
"92% of what we worry about is NON ESSENTIAL" Earl Nightingale

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11362246/Just-three-in-10-people-feel-happy-with-their-lives.html
Researchers find 69 per cent of people feel trapped in the same old routine and over 40 per cent are unhappy with their lives
https://www.swnsdigital.com/2017/02/80-of-americans-admit-to-being-stuck-in-a-routine/
80% of Americans Admit to Being Stuck in a Routine

The ego is a scary thing. Good reality check.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

23 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Actually you are the one defining it through irrelevant arm/body movements.

How is it irrelevant? You can't be a human without these things. How is it not a part of human behavior?

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

How is it irrelevant? You can't be a human without these things. How is it not a part of human behavior?

What's more relevant to one's success;
Where they go
What they do
Who they talk to
What they read

What they watch

Or:
How they move their arms and eyes

Inb4 you do gotchas how those are subsets of arm and eye movements.

Keep nitpicking.

What are you suggesting? Humans are NOT predictable? Lmfao.

8 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

What's more relevant to one's success;
Where they go
What they do
Who they talk to
What they read

What they watch

Or:
How they move their arms and eyes

Inb4 you do gotchas how those are subsets of arm and eye movements.

Keep nitpicking.

What are you suggesting? Humans are NOT predictable? Lmfao.

The statement was clear: "human behavior is 93% predictable". I called bullshit because the study obviously covers only a microscopic aspect of human behavior. The statement is clickbait and doesn't accurately represent the findings. It should instead say that only "some" human behavior is 93% predictable. If you want to predict human behavior, everything humans do is relevant. "Irrelevant" human behavior is still human behavior.

6 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

The statement was clear: "human behavior is 93% predictable". I called bullshit because the study obviously covers only a microscopic aspect of human behavior. The statement is clickbait and doesn't accurately represent the findings. It should instead say that only "some" human behavior is 93% predictable. If you want to predict human behavior, everything humans do is relevant. "Irrelevant" human behavior is still human behavior.

Keep nitpicking and crying, given you great results.

Where are your stats? Where are the interesting findings you've found?

Maybe spend less time nitpicking and crying and more time searching for answers, or keep crying and nitpicking IDGAF ROFL

7 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Keep nitpicking and crying, given you great results.

Where are your stats? Where are the interesting findings you've found?

Maybe spend less time nitpicking and crying and more time searching for answers, or keep crying and nitpicking IDGAF ROFL

That was kinda the point. Chill man. Don't have to get emotional :). I'll give you some stats: 100% of all statistics capture ~0% of reality.

59 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

That was kinda the point. Chill man. Don't have to get emotional :). I'll give you some stats: 100% of all statistics capture ~0% of reality.

Lets see em crybaby whiner.

8 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Lets see em crybaby whiner.

xD