Verg0

Shamanic apprenticeship

7 posts in this topic

One of the next possible steps towards realizing my life purpose is to do an shamanic apprenticeship.

Possible action steps that I´ve discovered so far: 

-Buy one that is offered online (extremely expensive, not unique and kind of a bad commercial vibe)

-Visit different Ayahuaca retreats and ask the shamans that truly resonate for an apprenticeship. (expensive and must be executed over a long timespan)

-Travel to South America and search randomly (kind of dangerous?) 

Any thoughts about how to find an authenic shaman who is ready to take on a student? Where to go? How to search? 

9 hours ago, Verg0 said:

-Buy one that is offered online (extremely expensive, not unique and kind of a bad commercial vibe)

I definitely wouldn't do this.

9 hours ago, Verg0 said:

-Travel to South America and search randomly (kind of dangerous?) 

This sound hella adventurous and you could learn a lot. Potentially impractical though.

9 hours ago, Verg0 said:

-Visit different Ayahuaca retreats and ask the shamans that truly resonate for an apprenticeship. (expensive and must be executed over a long timespan)

I'd say this is your best bet. At the very least, talk to people who you respect in this world and ask where you can get trained. You might not be able to apprentice with them but they may be able to point you to some kind of school or organization. I'd ask everybody I could.

Also, nothing wrong with some google research. I bet you can find a place to learn shamanism that isn't online.

To what end? What are you trying to get out of the apprenticeship? 

You are going to be your own best teacher. All the answers are within. I'd spend your time experimenting with psychedelics, self-inquiry, kriya yoga and so on, and discover Truth yourself. Besides, with Nonduality, any Shaman you learn from is going to be you telling yourself what you already know, as they are you, as you are everything/consciousness. 

As of Ayahuasca retreats, I have done many. There are many volunteers there to assist with ceremonies. You also get to participate in taking the medicine, as long as you can still function to do duties. They usually let you volunteer as many times as you like. No need to spend any money. And it's a nice environment to spend your time.  

@Verg0 What do you want to learn from Shamans? 

If you don't mind me asking.

Edited by captainamerica

@Verg0  Do you know Hamilton Souther?

You should probably ask him how to find an apprenticeship.

The podcast where he describes how he found his, is great.

However, he warns that the landscape is very different now from how it was when he got there. Many more bad shamans looking to screw Westerners over.

But still, solid tips on how to recognize a good one:

1. He is not boasting about being a shaman, but would rather not admit it or say: "Some might say I am", with a wink. You have to ask other people to point you to him, he doesn't approach you or puts on a show.
  2. He's not dressing obviously like a shaman, but rather like a regular dude with a t-shirt and a hat. Unless it's ceremony time
  3. You can look into his eyes and sense friendship and laughter and love.
  4. You can ask him anything and he is not evasive in his answers, but an open book
  5. He's not overly serious and has a sense of humour

This is what I gathered from:

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@captainamerica Essentially how to lead a plant medicine ceremony. (And general knowledge about how healing works, how to navigate in the spirit world and knowledge about different plants). Maybe a deeper sense of Self Understanding but as @Sempiternity already said, the answers to that are already within and solo retreats and psychedelics can help with that. But a vision quest with shamanic guidance (preparation and integration) also seems to be a great idea. I think I'll go the route to visit different retreats and shamans, participate in their ceremony and ask for a volunteering position to get in touch if their work resonates. 

@flowboy Yes! I've listened to this podcast the time it was released. Awesome talk and interesting content. Basically wrote down the same stuff you've listed here. Thank you for your comment!  I am thinking about attending a retreat with Hamilton as soon as his retreat center opens up again to get in touch with him and his work. He's also offering online plant dietas at the moment but I'm not sure if that's worth the money.