lostmedstudent

My flexibility journey update

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I started (almost) daily stretching back in April: here is the original post :

I have now been stretching for 7 months. Here is a quick progress report/time lapse I made 

Other than flexibility, I am really proud of myself for making this into such a consistent habit. I never missed more than 2 days in a row and never felt any resistance towards doing it (unlike meditation where I tend to dread it). My longest consistency streak is 8 months when i did daily meditations, but i wasnt enjoying it as much so stopping it almost felt as good as keeping it up. I will soon beat that streak and i foresee no issues in continuing it forever as it just is so enjoyable. not exactly sure why this is so much easier than meditation. i guess its because im less bored when stretching because im feeling the pain, and im moving around. My progress in stretching itself is pretty slow but steady. 

Will make an update for 9 months soon. 

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions for increased flexibility, any favorite stretching routines that you have? and any similar experience with aversion towards meditation? haha

Awesome, well done! :)

Challenges like these are always so worth it in the end. 

Nice! Very good process, I can approve this lol

However, I am not the best person to give advice. I´m  naturally extremely flexible lol xD For me, it's always been easy touch knees with head on that hamstring stretch position, without any practice. Like yogi stretch lol or whatever they call that in yoga. 

Thus, guys like me cannot give really any valuable tips.

I´m not writing this just to FLEXible, but to share a different point of view. And this godmobile requires a lot of exercise in other areas! Gotta go for a run now!

Enjoy the process :) you are doing great!

@lostmedstudent

That's awesome!

I've definitely struggled with flexibility. The biggest things I've seen are just to be consistent, do different kinds of positions and relax into the stretch.

As I understand it, our muscles actually don't need to be stretched. It's subconscious patterns in the mind that say "X muscle can only stretch Y amount". In reality, if you were under hypnosis and the ego was out of the way, supposedly we'd all be capable of incredible feats of flexibility.

So you take it slow. Don't rush into a stretch and set off that alarm. Just sit with it and let the muscles naturally open up as they see they are not in danger.