DefinitelyNotARobot

What does it mean to love yourself?

26 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Nahm I see what you did there! :D

@Intraplanetary Thanks! I think I've gotten the answers I'm looking for, I appreciate it.

Yeah she gave very good explanation about what self-love is.

Bookmark them, cause you won't get those kind of explanations every day :)

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Perhaps self love is about seeing the beauty in life. Your life is intrinsically beautiful. You are lovable and self love is about seeing that truth about your life. Even if you’re downcast, then it’s amazing you pulled through all the struggle. Love your strength and endurance.

Love your inner beauty.

Edit:

also something interesting about self love is that there’s no self to love. that’s when you say self love is love for everything, but saying that doesn’t really help. maybe self love is about loving that illusion of self that you believe. accepting what it is, and appreciating what it implies. then you can look past the illusion and see the True you. Perhaps, as long as you don’t find your story lovable, you’ll be trapped in ego. Attached to the illusion, and suffering it.

Edited by 73809

10 minutes ago, 73809 said:

also something interesting about self love is that there’s no self to love. that’s when you say self love is love for everything, but saying that doesn’t really help. maybe self love is about loving that illusion of self that you believe. accepting what it is, and appreciating what it implies. then you can look past the illusion and see the True you. Perhaps, as long as you don’t find your story lovable, you’ll be trapped in ego. Attached to the illusion, and suffering it.

I believe that the image of "self" goes through different stages of transformation. That's what spiral dynamics represents for me. The realization that there is no self is just the ultimate destination. (I haven't reached such a point so that's just speculation) People identify with their bodies, families, tribes, cities, nations and so on. People also identify with their cars, their houses, their money, etc.

A nazi is just on a mission of self-love, but they are identified with nationhood. A taliban is just on a mission of self-love, but they are identified with their religious beliefs.

beep boop

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

I believe that the image of "self" goes through different stages of transformation. That's what spiral dynamics represents for me. The realization that there is no self is just the ultimate destination. (I haven't reached such a point so that's just speculation) People identify with their bodies, families, tribes, cities, nations and so on. People also identify with their cars, their houses, their money, etc.

A nazi is just on a mission of self-love, but they are identified with nationhood. A taliban is just on a mission of self-love, but they are identified with their religious beliefs.

The self is an illusion created by a story, a belief. You believe you are a person experiencing life. It’s true that you are experiencing life, but the personality you see is all imagination. If you seek who you are, you find you are nothingness, emptiness, silence. You are truly nothing, you do not exist.

But you experience existence. existence is witnessed in your consciousness. your empty consciousness perceives life itself. You are nothingness imagining an external world, yet all your imagination is only that - a story. An illusion. You made up your entire illusory existence!

6 hours ago, 73809 said:

maybe self love is about loving that illusion of self that you believe. accepting what it is, and appreciating what it implies. then you can look past the illusion and see the True you. Perhaps, as long as you don’t find your story lovable, you’ll be trapped in ego. Attached to the illusion, and suffering it.

I agree with you.

I somewhere read: ''love yourself to death, literally.''

Self-love is the best medicine for all your suffering.

Although when you finally come to the place when you willingly commit to accept and love EVERYTHING about yourself, things show up to be way more complicated than this. Sometimes you have to study your psychology, the shadow self and emotions to understand what is being neglected. So it can be quite tricky to find what is that you need to accept and love! :)

However, love yourself for your willingness and effort to accept yourself fully, and this will carry you through. 

Edited by Intraplanetary

softly into the Abyss...

Loving Illusions is what it is... nothing right or wrong with it.

Although claiming that as true awakening would certainly be a misunderstanding.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi