caspex

Why Hate Suffering?

9 posts in this topic

So this has been on my mind for several months now. Why do we avoid suffering? After a bit of thinking it's clear to me that pleasure and pain are just feelings we give meaning to. Same with bliss and suffering. Even after seeing this, why it is that I still want to avoid suffering and attract bliss most of the time. I don't resist my mental suffering anymore, i try my best to not get attached to any pleasure or bliss. But I still fear my death (maybe that'll be the case until an actual ego death). I fear feeling large amounts of pain. What is this? Can't I be cautious without feeling fear. But if i dont fear pain, what will be my reason to be cautious? I know hating pain and suffering is for us to survive, however, how does one go beyond survival? Maybe asking to go beyond survival is asking to eradicate the fear of death. 

I just noticed that when I ask to go beyond survival, I am hoping to survive after i go beyond it. Lol. 

What to do?

5 hours ago, Swarnim said:

I just noticed that when I ask to go beyond survival, I am hoping to survive after i go beyond it. Lol. 

Who is hoping?

What does the 'I am' consist of?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

25 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Who is hoping?

What does the 'I am' consist of?

thank you

You're lacking stage blue that's why this is happening to you. 

Focus a bit on stage Blue. It will correct itself. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

You're lacking stage blue that's why this is happening to you. 

Focus a bit on stage Blue. It will correct itself. 

can you be more specific, what lesson(s) do you think i am lacking?

On 11/19/2020 at 7:13 PM, Swarnim said:

I fear feeling large amounts of pain.

Fear is the mind's way of distracting you. In fact, fear can actually attract the thing that is feared. 

As you say, avoiding suffering can be a foolish approach. The goal is to go beyond it, not evade it.

Example: a child says that the boogieman is in the closet. Is the solution to avoid the closet, or to look inside and find that there's nothing there?

Because you are a human being, with a human ego, so your efforts to be any certain way will only be partly successful, there are many many layers and parts of who you are, and even though a part of you wants to transcend and go beyond yourself and your ego, that very part does not understand that it does not truly and fully control itself, it cannot accept that fact that it does not have itself under complete control. It's as if you are trying to submit/surrender yourself, with enough force you will be successful, but at the cost of- yourself. thus you have split yourself even further.

Now is when you don't have to stop your suffering, or resist attachment. You don't have to avoid pain or go into temptation. I am saying that you don't need to move anywhere, and if you are taken away by your waves of thoughts and emotions then let that happen too, just release all trying and all doing, it feels heavy, and forceful, let Stillness be the way, because after you're taken away by your mind, you will come back, and again and again this will happen, but you will always come back, just as you are present when you are reading these words, so too you will find yourself present at times and absent at other times, there is nothing you can do about all your unconscious behavior, since by definition You are absent, and since only You have the power to change yourself- Give your attention to your consciousness and stop resisting and being afraid to be absent, by going through yourself again and again(being absent) you can learn who you really are, and let this be what leads you, let stillness be the way, not yourself. 

Edited by TripleFly

Of course suffering is disliked. By definition, it’s pain, distress, hardship. Things we’re wired to avoid. It’s primal

Suffering is meant to feel not good,so you feel that you must do something to get rid of it. 

Dont hate suffering, but love it. It shows you, that you have inner resistance that prevents you from being happy. 

Investigate, where the suffering is coming from and overcome your resistance by letting it come close to you.