K VIL2

How can you tell if someone is aping it vs authentically growing?

9 posts in this topic

I found myself in an a work related email exchange and instead of being me, i was overthinking "OK say this". 

For instance I wanted to say "snafu" but instead I wrote "issue" because snafu indicates curse words and I wanted to seem more professional.

Dont ask why... 

What does it mean to ape something vs authentically grow into it? 

@K VIL2

To ape basically means to copy or fake.

For instance, you could go to an ashram and record what the spiritual guru says on your cell phone. Then you could memorize it and start giving your own talks. But it wouldn't mean you actually had any of the wisdom that guru had.

To authentically grow would be to actually did what the guru did, i.e contemplate, meditate, etc.

In your case, I'd say it's more about fear of losing your job. Or perhaps some other insecurity.

Its possible to be fake and yet true to yourself. If you clearly know why, you're faking instead of hiding from the truth, and you're undoubtedly sure it's the appropriate behavior in the large context of being true to yourself, and it's what you intrinsically want, you're being authentic.
If you feel internally conflicted and unsure how to behave, you're probably not being authentic. To become authentic you're required to make a clear decision of what it is you genuinely want. If you do that, it's easy to notice yourself when being true or fake.

A good measure of your authenticity, is your consciousness / awareness. 
How mentally fogged vs clear are you usually?
How confused vs confident do you usually feel?
How much time do you spend on cheap forms of distractions vs higher consciousness values?
How much do you resist vs accept yourself
Whats your doing vs being ratio?

Edited by X_X

13 hours ago, K VIL2 said:

Dont ask why... 

LOL, you must definitely ask why, if you hope to become more authentic. What aren't you admitting? Find out and face it.

@aurum, nice to see you back! @aurum @dflores321, thanks for replying. Really great things to consider here.

@X_X Why? jk- damn good questions. or shall i say "Darn"

13 hours ago, X_X said:

How mentally fogged vs clear are you usually?
How confused vs confident do you usually feel?

Good points, but I have to disagree with the above ones.

Unless we are saying that ISIS suicide bombers are spiritual masters. They sure are confident.

On 11/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, K VIL2 said:

I found myself in an a work related email exchange and instead of being me, i was overthinking "OK say this". 

For instance I wanted to say "snafu" but instead I wrote "issue" because snafu indicates curse words and I wanted to seem more professional.

Dont ask why... 

What does it mean to ape something vs authentically grow into it? 

Two things come to mind regarding the question. The phenomena called Inner considering in the Fourth Way. Which I still have to contend with in my own Work. Basicly, one way of describing inner considering is it's just when one is thinking way too much. 

Also, spiritual materialism, which is more talked about in different 'communities' . A google search on that phrase would probably reveal some information. Chogyam Trungpa wrote a very good and easy to read book called Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism. What Leo calls being a zen devil is one form of spiritual materialism. Years ago it would be safe to say I was a zen devil and also the phase when I based my identity on being a "spiritual" person. That also is a form of Spiritual materialism.

Both spiritual Materialism and Inner considering are areas of work that everyone has to contend with to some extent. If someone says that either one is not any issue in their life then they are probably unconscious in that regard or as some would call it, they have a psychological blindspot. One has to see these phenomena in oneself through Inquiry or Self Observation because they are related to one's sense of identity as well as our projections onto others. Being connected real tight to one's own insecurities makes them difficult to work through for many people and usually takes a lot of time.

@K VIL2 I respect your authentic honesty as well as your conscientiousness in your use of language. It seems to me those who are sincere and have a degree of humility are also those who make gains quickest in doing Inquiry.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Growing = becoming larger

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Well, you can't ever be completely certain, but if your consciousness is high enough you can usually tell who's less/more conscious intuitively.

Try being around christians that parrot Jesus and then meet real mystics in a christian monastery. They say the same things but there's a different feel to them.

I became aware of these differences after a kundalini experience, I meet a lot of christians (I grew up around them) and can differentiate between those that had awakening experiences and those who are just parrots.

If your kundalini is at least partially activated there might be a literal "glow" in your vision when you hear/read/see an awakened person.

This exercise works best with Christians, because there's a huge variety among them. It won't work as well with buddhists, since most of them actually take meditation seriously.

Edited by Michal__