Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiva99

How many days gym per week?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm planning on getting back into weightlifting. Right now i'm exercising 3-5 days a week ( running ) and i like it a lot, but i would like to add weightlifting back into my weekly routine. My goals is to get a decent physique, and i want it to be obvious that i visit the gym. I don't want to become a bodybuilder or anything like that, but i would like to build a decent amount of mass. How many times would i need to go to the gym every week? I was thinking about 3 days a week for an hour every session, but i'm not sure if this is enough for my goal. Especially since i also want to keep running. 

Also how do i build muscle mass while at the same time being a runner? Is this just a matter of eating enough calories every day?

Any advice is welcome.

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

@Shiva99

Get your run in morning time maybe

that sets the tone for the day. get up early. great time to run, peaceful. Maybe get a skipping rope if you haven't already 

Hit the weights, like you said 3 days a week at whatever suitable time in the day/evening give your body time to rest and rebuild so every other day maybe. 

get some body weight stuff going aswell. pull ups, push ups, sit ups burpees lunges squats ect

hit the heavy bag once in a while 

Your body is a one whole, you wana be able to move good, have balance ,coordination. be flexible, get a stretching book to follow along to after your runs and weight sessions.  Yoga perhaps.

Your gona look like a greek God, Go fucking smash it

Do research Be smart with your training, Scientific.  Have a sharp mind.

Be water my friend ~ Bruce lee~

Lucky you still having gym opened :D 

3 times/week is a good start. Make sure to allow yourself 2 days off per week as well. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 13-11-2020 at 3:44 PM, Michael569 said:

Lucky you still having gym opened :D 

3 times/week is a good start. Make sure to allow yourself 2 days off per week as well. 

No they are not open. I'm just planning on when they open again :)

Do you mean 2 days off without any exercise at all?

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

3 hours ago, acidgoofy said:

3 days weight lifting and 2 days running is optimal for me. I also do about an hour, sometimes 1 1/2.

If you dont run like crazy there should be no problem to build muscle.

What about calorie intake? Do you eat more because you are also running?

I now run 3-6 miles 3-5 times a week.

From my experience, if you do weights, at some point you will naturally start to feel that it's time for break, if you ignore that feeling, your fucked. 
You will start to feel extreme fatigue and flu like simptoms from over training and putting too much tension on your central nervous system.
Don't just hit the gym 4+ times a week just for the sake of going 4+ times a week, listening to your body is the key here.

Also, if you're just starting off, and you are not sure about how to perform each exercise with proper form, don't do it at all - you're asking for an injury and public humiliation. It's worth paying those extra moneys for a licenced trainer to help you start off.

Oh and please, please! follow gym etiquette. (Re-rack weights, don't leave your swet stains on machines, staring at other guys dicks in showers etc)

3 days a week. Same routine every time (except for adding reps/weight each session). Definitely don't do a leg day, arm day, etc...

Make sure it includes a push, a pull, and a legs/hinge/squat.

i.e. 3 sets Chin ups (weighted), 3 sets Dips (weighted), 1 set Deadlift (all after considerable ramping up in weight, for warm up, so you'll be doing a lot more than just 7 total sets...)

5-15 reps per set, stopping short of failure so you don't tax your nervous system. But only 5 reps per warm up set, of which there should be at the very least 2 for each lift, and each should be heavier than the preceding warm up set.

Can potentially sub dips for overhead press, and deadlift for squat. There isn't really a good alternative to chin ups though.

Edited by The0Self